Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until about 3 months ago he was the clown of the show, and was surviving based on his exceptional comedic skills.

While he has (thankfully) retained this, I'm noticing that in addition to the belts, they are starting to let him develop an in-match character. The WWE style of wrestling is to have 3-5 unique moves. So far I've noticed:

- the splits (either with a stunner or ducking a clothesline)
- the warrior splash (well, unique for the CURRENT roster)
- the hiptoss

Once they find a more credible finishing maneuver he could actually pass as a solid midcarder.

And have you noticed that to buy yourself time to develop a proper wrestling character, it really helps if you have something to impress everyone with (it's okay to be a one-trick pony for 6-12 months)? With Justin Gabriel it was that 450 splash (well, he survived longer than some of the others in Nexus entirely because of that), with Miz it was that phrase 'I'm the Miz and I'm awesome', with Mr Kennedy it was his scream into the microphone...

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it dawns on Santino Marella being taken seriously..

Zack Ryder should be too, as well. So much talent.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
his finisher is poking a person in the head... no he will never be taken seriously. We all know he has legit wrestling skills but with his gimmick it wont matter. He is fine where he is.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
The funny thing is, these comedy guys like Santino and Ryder are much more natural on the mic than most of the upper-midcarders today.

Though yes, I've noticed that Santino's moveset really has stepped up and I hope he can make the jump further up the card.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I don't know if they are "seriously" booking him but they are certainly booking him in more matches, thus more time, thus more moves added to his palette.

He has some skills and I hope he continues forward like this.

·
Registered
418 Posts
A few months ago, I was hoping they would push Santino a bit. I knew that was all he needed to get over big time. Unfortunately, I think they´re pushing him too much at the moment. He´s turning into the new Rey Mysterio aka invincible underdog.

Before his recent push, Santino was so low on the credibility card, he could lose to Hornswoggle and you wouldn´t raise an eyebrow. You can´t turn him into a megaface over night, despite the pops he´s getting, or he´ll get stale quickly.
Even if he´s clearly a comedy character, he needs to be pushed (or better, his character has to develop) like "generic worker #6"...gradually.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I think he's fine where he is, he's used as a comedy role and it works well. That's not to take anything away from the guy because he's talented but the way he's being booked now is great and there's no need to push him further up the card.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
^ doesnt make any sense.

its great, i hope it continues. hes my fave wrestler so ive been paying close attention and he trys out new moves in nearly every match. this had led to some awesome signature stuff like the warrior stuff, cobra, santino stunner. the guys talented. cream rises to the top as they say. i hope he gets some longer matches, i wanna see some more moves added and i dont see why he cant have his boris alexiev moves added also as he gets more credible. the standing submission and the running jumping super kick thing are just too badass. hes already got the judo throws added in so it could happen.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
his finisher is poking a person in the head... no he will never be taken seriously. We all know he has legit wrestling skills but with his gimmick it wont matter. He is fine where he is.
I just wish he could change the finisher or he comes up with another one I guess. I enjoy Santino's wrestling, not the comedy act. He's funny at times though.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I like Santino. I'm not ashamed to admit that I mark big time for the Cobra. The guy's really entertaining in his role and I won't mind seeing him have another run with the IC title in the near future.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I hope he stays at where he is right now and not getting booked into US title territory, i won't even mind if he becomes jobber again. I know the guy is actually talented but i'm not digging his comedy act these days, and that finisher is just cringeworthy, i lose my good mood everytime his music hits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We can only hope so!
they have ruined a former MMA fighter. Lets hope they bring Chavo back to being a wrestler too.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think we should give a little credit to Koslov also. They work good together. Did you see that little grin Koslov was making behind Santino, and then when Santino would look Koslov would dummy up? It was pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have a lot of time for Santino. For a pure comedy act, he has never made me want to switch channels, and thats after I found his initial run as the "miracle in milan" to be just stupid.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
his finisher is poking a person in the head... no he will never be taken seriously.
actually pokes em in the throat..kinda like the samoan spike
Yeah it's in the throat, a really sensitive area.

Plus Hogan's Leg Drop, People's Elbow etc. were both weak as shit but the showmanship is what got it over.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
He has pretty much the same finisher as Umaga.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
You know what I'd like to see for same strange reason.

I hope all this time Tamina is just seducing Santino so one day it'll be Kozlov/Santino vs The Usos for the tag titles. Then Santino seduces Santino in the ring causing The Usos to get a sneak roll up and win.

This can cause Santino to get pissed at Tamina. Oh knows maybe he did fake every organism.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts