Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
In the last 3 years, Roman has held the title for less than 3 months.

This is normal Roman booking - it's simply the fans who have changed the way they view him.
This excuse is just so tired. Someone doesn't have to have the title constantly to be the main focus of everything they do.

Roman is given far more than practically everyone else on the roster combined. Constantly. People are sick of it. He is not interesting enough to get the attention that he does. There are people that can barely get on TV yet Roman is on most episodes of RAW and SD every single week. And before anyone says "b-b-b-but Kofi has been on both shows too", I am aware he is not the only one, but people like Kofi haven't been shoved down the audiences throat incessantly for the last 5-6 years!
Myth.

Imagine a pie graph for the past 3.5 years:

- 84 months to fill for 2 world champions
- 3 to Roman
= That’s 3.5% of the pie allocated to Roman.

96.5% of the time, you’ve got talents other than Roman holding the gold.

96.5% of the time you’re looking at someone else hold the belt.

His push has completely been exaggerated in the shadow of the Super Cena days.
That is his time as champion...compare that to how many PPV main events and TV time he got compared to the 96.5% WHILE THEY WERE CHAMPION (especially those not named Lesnar). Yes, he did not hold the belt long, but he was in the last match more times and probably more that all of the champions combined. He Main Evented Wrestlemania 33, but was not the champion and a title was not at stake (who cares if it was against Undertaker because it was clearly not Taker's last match though we were led to believe it was)!

CM Punk's reign as WWE Champion was for over 400 days (more than a year) and a few people held the World Heavyweight Championship in that period. Whomever held the WHC was never in the main event and with only 1 or 2 exceptions (one of them being because Cena was hurt and couldn't do the match with Punk), Punk only main evented as champion when he fought Cena or Rock. All other times, Cena had the main event match even though no title was involved and HHH vs. Lesnar at Summerslam had one of the ME's.

·
FOTC
10,750 Posts
I think some in here miss Reigns being the FOTC :bosque

But something to consider when comparing Reigns and Rollins:

• Seth was the first Shield member to win the WWE Championship
• Seth defeated Brock at WM for the Universal Championship; Roman lost clean to Brock at WM 34
• Seth has been on the cover WWE2K; Roman hasn't

The general consensus is that WWE has always pushed Reigns harder than Seth.

2,235 Posts
I think some in here miss Reigns being the FOTC :bosque

But something to consider when comparing Reigns and Rollins:

• Seth was the first Shield member to win the WWE Championship
• Seth defeated Brock at WM for the Universal Championship; Roman lost clean to Brock at WM 34
• Seth has been on the cover WWE2K; Roman hasn't

The general consensus is that WWE has always pushed Reigns harder than Seth.
:reigns

·
Registered
371 Posts
That is his time as champion...compare that to how many PPV main events and TV time he got compared to the 96.5% WHILE THEY WERE CHAMPION (especially those not named Lesnar). Yes, he did not hold the belt long, but he was in the last match more times and probably more that all of the champions combined. He Main Evented Wrestlemania 33, but was not the champion and a title was not at stake (who cares if it was against Undertaker because it was clearly not Taker's last match though we were led to believe it was)!
You're wrong.

There was a post on reddit that actually broke down Reigns time in the main event and the time he spent in the midcard. This was based on main event feuds on TV and PPV as well as his midcard feuds. And it turned out that between the beginning of 2015 when his top guy push began until he went out late last year, Reigns was only in main event programs (on TV and PPV) 45% of the time. His win/loss ratio on PPV was also similar by the way. As in, he'd lost around 45% of his matches on PPV.

A comparison was also made with Cena by the way, who in that same time frame of a push (the equivalent for Cena would be beginning of 2005 to late 2008), had spent 95% of his time involved in main event feuds on TV and PPV, and had an 88% win percentage on PPV. And in terms of clean losses with no asterisks, Cena only had 4 in that whole time period, whereas Reigns had 10.

This comparison, by the way, will only start becoming even more lopsided right now since Reigns has been in the midcard since his return earlier this year, whereas Cena dominated the main event in 2009 pretty much.

The "Super Reigns" push is exaggerated bullshit. About the most people can make a claim for him is that they actually gave him the Mania main event 4 times, and it's good that they did, because they've half-assed his push so much that if they hadn't at least done that, you'd have to wonder who the top guy actually is because they sure as hell haven't booked like him one.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,265 Posts
The top guy for the past 5 years in the post-Cena world is Lesnar. From 2014 onwards, he's had 3 stints as the brand's biggest champion of at least 150 days, one of them for over 500, and he's presently champion now. The Shield are enhancement talent for him, shoe shine boys, the jobber to the "star." The Shield being around makes it seem like WWE cared a lot more about them than they really did.

They stop-started on Reigns so much, they damn near Luger'd his ass. Not one full time wrestler on the roster now has a no BS win over Lesnar but a ton have lost clean (Every Shield member at least once, Braun Strowman something like six times, John Cena in his last bit as a competitor for a major championship, Samoa Joe multiple times, Finn Balor, AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan).

What Reigns has gotten in the past 5 years is a piss in the wind compared to Brock being the top champion in the company for going on 900 days now.

Edit: A payoff might be Reigns being champion on Smackdown with the Universal title somehow, or WWE title going for unification. So the push isn't dead in that he won't be heavyweight champion ever again, I'd say he's heavyweight champ on one of the brands by this time July, easily, but he's not the focal point because Lesnar always was.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Using the Roman has only been Champion for 3 months in the last 3 years is one thing. The reality is he main evented 4 straight Wrestlemania's and would have been 5 had he not left to illness.

I expect Roman to be the one to take the belt off of Brock. Whether it be at the first SD on Fox, WM36 or some other time.

·
I WANT ALL THE MEAT!
1,280 Posts
Imo i think RR isnt getting the biggest pushes lately cause Vince wants to make sure the Leukemia doesnt came back sooner then later. Maybe wants to make sure he is 100% better

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts
It is kinda weird how much Roman's just been spinning his wheels lately with no real direction. I thought that decisive win over Drew at Mania was supposed to signify "the Big Dog is BACK in full force!" or something? Instead he gets lumped into a feud with Shane where he loses, has match after match with Drew (again), and currently has no angle heading into one of the biggest shows of the year at Summerslam.

Hell, even last night on Smackdown looked like a "passing of the guard" from him to Owens as the top babyface. That's the vibe that I got from it, anyway.

The same can be said about Charlotte, too.

It's very odd that two stars who smarks complain about being "shoved down our throats/Vince favorites/pushed at the expense of everyone else/yada yada yada" currently have nothing at all going for them from a creative standpoint.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
It is kinda weird how much Roman's just been spinning his wheels lately with no real direction. I thought that decisive win over Drew at Mania was supposed to signify "the Big Dog is BACK in full force!" or something? Instead he gets lumped into a feud with Shane where he loses, has match after match with Drew (again), and currently has no angle heading into one of the biggest shows of the year at Summerslam.

Hell, even last night on Smackdown looked like a "passing of the guard" from him to Owens as the top babyface. That's the vibe that I got from it, anyway.

The same can be said about Charlotte, too.

It's very odd that two stars who smarks complain about being "shoved down our throats/Vince favorites/pushed at the expense of everyone else/yada yada yada" currently have nothing at all going for them from a creative standpoint.
Guess you spoke too soon. :laugh:

Just because Roman and a Charlotte type aren't in a storyline for a mere 2 months or so doesn't say anything about their standing, you have to wait longer than that to judge whether anything really has changed. And lickety spit, they went right back at it with Charlotte mere weeks after this post of yours.

Aod Roman's mystery story, midcard as it is, still gets more focus than a lot of main title storylines.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.