Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know ROH have a small tv deal which starts next week but Lucha Libre usa is back on the air in two weeks on a national station MTV 2 so i'm asking which is the real third company

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
LL:USA is nowhere near the third company. It may be on TV, but that does not make it above such things as CHIKARA, PWG and so on, imo.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Well, Lucha Libre USA isn't a wrestling company. It's just a MTV produced TV show that based around wrestling. So yeah. ROH is the most popular American country. If you are talking about the whole world, then ROH is grasping to be on the Top 5 list tbh.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LL:USA is nowhere near the third company. It may be on TV, but that does not make it above such things as CHIKARA, PWG and so on, imo.
yea i understand what you saying but at the end of the day LL:usa have a real tv deal that everybody can watch, ROH have to be in your market even though LL:usa rating are shitty i know ROH ain't far from it

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well, Lucha Libre USA isn't a wrestling company. It's just a MTV produced TV show that based around wrestling. So yeah. ROH is the most popular American country. If you are talking about the whole world, then ROH is grasping to be on the Top 5 list tbh.
I don't think they're in the top 5:
WWE
AAA
CMLL
TNA
New Japan
All Japan
NOAH
Dragon Gate
Zero1

The major Mexican and Japanese promotions are even bigger than TNA.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
ROH is a wrestling company. Lucha Libre USA is a TV PROGRAM on MTV 2 basically and nothing more just like Jersey Shore or any other dumb show on that network is just a show.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
I don't think they're in the top 5:
WWE
AAA
CMLL
TNA
New Japan
All Japan
NOAH
Dragon Gate
Zero1

The major Mexican and Japanese promotions are even bigger than TNA.
I'd put ROH above Zero1 easily. The other smaller 3 Japanese companies in All Japan, NOAH & DG are open to debate.

·
Banned
623 Posts
LOL at the people saying AAA and NJPW in 2011 are bigger wrestling companies as a whole then TNA. TNA can be seen by over 160 countries around the world and is watched in US on avg by over 1.5 million people a week, although forbes says Impact is watched by 1.8 million people a week on avg. But either way that is way more viewership then any of those overseas promotions get. But most of all its the amount of people that are able to see your product that desides if one company is bigger then the other in a TV market. ROH, AAA, NJPW are at the bottom of the watch list according to TV data.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
LOL at the people saying AAA and NJPW in 2011 are bigger wrestling companies as a whole then TNA. TNA can be seen by over 160 countries around the world and is watched in US on avg by over 1.5 million people a week, although forbes says Impact is watched by 1.8 million people a week on avg. But either way that is way more viewership then any of those overseas promotions get. But most of all its the amount of people that are able to see your product that desides if one company is bigger then the other in a TV market. ROH, AAA, NJPW are at the bottom of the watch list according to TV data.
Go to Japan and you will see that NJPW is even bigger than WWE there. Stop using that TV data because it's really not helping your case. NJPW and AAA can sell out huge arenas. TNA can't.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
TNA can be seen by over 160 countries around the world
That is just a sales pitch from TNA. They air on a total of 17 stations worldwide, but because 3 of them (Africa, Asia, MiddleEast) air in the entire continent (theoreticly) TNA decides to count all the individual countries in those continents, but they dont tell you that you can only recieve them through satellite discs/decoders, competing with thousands of other channels. I'm sure the kids in Congo or Mozambique watch TNA every friday through their satellite disc in between meals.

Here is a complete station list:
Spike TV [USA]
Canal Vista Sport [Mexico]
Fight Network [Canada]
Challenge [UK]
Ma Chaine Sport [France]
Sky Deutschland [Germany/Austria/Swiss]
Sport TV [Portugal]
CINE5 [Turkey]
ESPN Star Sports [India + Part of Asia]
Sports Plus Channel [Thailand]
IPSN – Video On Demand [South Korea]
Al Jazeera Network [Middle East]
EGO Total [Israel]
Setanta Sports Africa [Africa]
SuperSport [South Africa]
Fuel TV [Australia]

Realisticly they air in about 15 countries, of which 6 are behind decoders in none-english speaking countries. Thats still good considering wrestling only matters in the USA/Canada/Australia/Japan/Mexico, but 100+ stations is just a marketing trick (which you cant blame TNA for doing).

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
although forbes says Impact is watched by 1.8 million people a week on avg. But either way that is way more viewership then any of those overseas promotions get.
The Hulk Hogan vs Antonio Inoki classic where Hogan knockout down Inoki (legit) drew 36 million viewers in Japan, an absolute records there (and worldwide). I'm aware those days are far behind us, but dont underestimate how many people still watch. In japan itself you have much less stations than in the US, and there are still many millions of people watching.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well by attendance figures NJPW is bigger by far, just look at their Tokyo Dome shows. I do think TNA has a more global image but money wise, which is what matters in wrestling, NJPW is bigger. Do not know AAA enough to comment.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Do not know AAA enough to comment.
The ratings in Mexico are about:
RAW: 9.0+
AAA: around 5.0
CMLL: around 3.0

I dont know how many viewers that is though, its probably a different ratings system there. When it goes to attendence figures, both AAA and CMLL do their shows in Arenas which have an average capacity of like 4000-5000, but some are bigger. Their big ppv shows are around 17000-20000 fans.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The ratings in Mexico are about:
RAW: 9.0+
AAA: around 5.0
CMLL: around 3.0

I dont know how many viewers that is though, its probably a different ratings system there. When it goes to attendence figures, both AAA and CMLL do their shows in Arenas which have an average capacity of like 4000-5000, but some are bigger. Their big ppv shows are around 17000-20000 fans.
Well as i said if you are going by attendance figures, TNA is not as big as AAA or CMLL. However i do feel TNA is number 2 in global image as more people would probably know TNA more than NJPW or AAA. It all depends on what areas you feel makes the size of a company.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Whoever put TNA ahead of New Japan is should be given a dunce cap. TNA is bush league, New Japan sells 10,000-25,000 tickets for their big shows, and TNA will never sell half that.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The Hulk Hogan vs Antonio Inoki classic where Hogan knockout down Inoki (legit) drew 36 million viewers in Japan, an absolute records there (and worldwide). I'm aware those days are far behind us, but dont underestimate how many people still watch. In japan itself you have much less stations than in the US, and there are still many millions of people watching.
Ali vs. Inoki outdrew it! Most watched fight or wrestling match ever. Over a billion people saw that fight, it was shit (like most Hogan matches ironically) but no audience in one on one sport compares.... until UFC invades China.

·
Banned
623 Posts
Whoever put TNA ahead of New Japan is should be given a dunce cap. TNA is bush league, New Japan sells 10,000-25,000 tickets for their big shows, and TNA will never sell half that.
When TNA went to Japan in 2010 they had over 18,000 people. At B4G this year they have just over 10,000 tickets sold. So your comment is a fail just by the way you worded it as they already sold over half of that. Forbes ranks TNA Impact as the #2 company in the world followed behind WWE (#1)

Forbes owns what you think is fact and fiction. Besides there is more to a ranking of a wrestling company then ticket sales. I could go on but it's so clear I am talking to a few marks that know fuck all about this business.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts