Wrestling Forum banner

Is Rick Martel a legend?

4086 37
There are certain names that if you drop people won't hesitate to say, "He's a LEGEND!"

Guys like Ric Flair, Jake Roberts, Roddy Piper...

How about Rick Martel? Maybe you only know him as "The Model" but believe it or not, the guy's a former World Champion. Back when the AWA was essentially the No. 2 promotion in the U.S., Rick was their champion.

He's a former WWF World Tag Team Champion (three times, twice with Tony Garea and once with Tito Santana) and WCW Television Champion (in one of the most random title reigns in WCW history). He started out as a high-flyer but was also a sound technical wrestler and evolved into a good sports-entertainment hybrid brawler to fit the WWF style.

He was never a great talker which was probably the biggest thing that held him back but with all he's accomplished (more titles in major promotions than Jake Roberts - who has zero), especially as a former World Champion my question is, is Rick Martel a Legend and is he worthy of the Hall of Fame?
Reactions: 2Slick
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My gut says "no," but I certainly could see why someone would disagree with me. I remember watching him tag with Tito Santana, then I remember when he made the switch to being "The Model." I remember that he did have a "presence." You always seemed to know he was there.

If you don't have the championship credentials, then you have to make a memorable splash some other way. You mentioned Jake Roberts. If someone in the family mentions wrestling, then my parents mention two names: Hulk Hogan and Jake the Snake. I don't think Martel has that, so one would have to rely on the titles you mentioned.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If someone in the family mentions wrestling, then my parents mention two names: Hulk Hogan and Jake the Snake. I don't think Martel has that, so one would have to rely on the titles you mentioned.
That's why I bring it up. I personally consider Tito Santana a "legend" and one of the greatest wrestlers of all time but he never really made a big splash, or was even a main event guy (mostly because of his average interview skills). But I certainly find him Hall of Fame worthy. Martel, with whom he both teamed and feuded, was certainly his contemporary; not quite his equal in the ring because I feel Tito had more in-ring charisma and passion, but Rick was clearly every bit as talented.

From the WWE perspective, I also go back to Koko B. Ware and "Cowboy" Bob Orton. If you're going to let those guys into that HOF then you can certainly admit Martel. But a "legend?" I'm just not sure.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Uhm, no... unless you wanna completely water down the meaning of the word, "legend".
This is pretty much my standpoint on it.

This is the problem with the WWE HoF. It gives the notion that to have been alive and wrestling during successful times makes you a legend of the sport. Not for me. To be a legend you really need to have contributed to the business a phenomenal amount and left your mark on it in some way that the majority of fans recognise.

Should/could this guy be put into the HoF? Sure, why not? If we kept that purely for legends of the sport they'd have to cut down to one inductee a year.

But he is not a legend by my standards.

·
Shitting On The Bastards Below
1,281 Posts
I thought he was a great performer legend might be stretching it abit but he had a good career and im sure he made some good money, like mentioned above I could deffinately see him being inducted into the HOF at some point

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
The word legend is always thrown about too often in my opinion and i am of the belief that someone like Ric Flair is a legend or Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, The Rock and Sting all are in the same group. That being said i do believe that Ric Martel was a great wrestler and a great character that if he was wrestling in today's era in either WWE or TNA with the same gimmick would be a WWE/World champion such was the strength in depth of WWE back in the day.

In my own personal opinion i would have to say no in regards to Ric Martel being a legend because one AWA World title and a WWF tag team title run do not give someone legendary status for my thinking. I did say though in a different thread on the most underrated wrestler's of all time that i would put Ric Martel in that group alongside people like Greg Valentine, Arn Anderson, The Great Muta, Tito Santana, Magnum TA and Paul Orndoff who were all great wrestler's but were always in the shadow of others and would all probably be WWE/World champions if they were wrestling today.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
Based on some of the names in WWE HOF, Rick Martel should be a shoo in. He was very good overall but he was considered a flop as AWA champion. His heel run is very much underappreciated. I suspect he'll be inducted into the HOF eventually, maybe the next time WM is in Canada.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,452 Posts
He should be in the HOF. Strike Force was a popular tag team and he was great at being the guy to run into the ring as a "ball of fire" after the long awaited tag. Also he polularized the Boston Crab and lasted 53 minutes in the 1991 Royal Rumble.

But no, not a legend.

·
Banned
4,543 Posts
There are certain names that if you drop people won't hesitate to say, "He's a LEGEND!"

Guys like Ric Flair, Jake Roberts, Roddy Piper...

How about Rick Martel? Maybe you only know him as "The Model" but believe it or not, the guy's a former World Champion. Back when the AWA was essentially the No. 2 promotion in the U.S., Rick was their champion.

He's a former WWF World Tag Team Champion (three times, twice with Tony Garea and once with Tito Santana) and WCW Television Champion (in one of the most random title reigns in WCW history). He started out as a high-flyer but was also a sound technical wrestler and evolved into a good sports-entertainment hybrid brawler to fit the WWF style.

He was never a great talker which was probably the biggest thing that held him back but with all he's accomplished (more titles in major promotions than Jake Roberts - who has zero), especially as a former World Champion my question is, is Rick Martel a Legend and is he worthy of the Hall of Fame?
Nope. Good, well respected wrestler? Yes. But there's only so many legends.....he's not one. He was a key cog in the mid-card in the late 80's-early 90's WWF.....that's not legendary status.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rick Martel is a conundrum because he had everything it took to be a legend but just never made it. He had the looks, charisma and even the mic skills (after his match at Wrestlemania 5 when he left Tito for dead he sounded like a rabid dog) but he was a jack of all trades and master of none.

He had a 'model' gimmick that barely got him over (it was that poor he had to wear a badge saying 'Yes, I am a model') and getting buried for 2 or 3 years after the only decent feud he had with Jake 'The Snake' Roberts didn't help matters either.

I agree with dave 1981, Rick Martel is definitely an underated wrestler and with better direction he could have done some great things, especially as a tag wrestler because that was where I thought his strengths were, especially with Tom Zenk as 'The Can-Am Connection' and could have been a multiple time tag champion. As it stands he was a wasted opportunity and I don't class him as a legend.

·
Registered
17,781 Posts
He's definitely a Canadian wrestling legend. Not really a WWE legend though. Prior to Bret Hart, the best Canadian wrestler was Jacques Rougeau. (AKA The Mountie)

It's awesome that this generation of Canadian wrestlers has guys like Edge and Jericho to look up to. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.