Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- Rey Mysterio is reportedly charging $20,000 per appearance on the indies. There are expected to be several announcements on Rey coming soon. The 4FW promotion in the UK is already advertising Rey for their July 19th event.
Isn't he over-estimating his worth?

·
The Fresh Prince Is Back On His Throne!
11,553 Posts
Re: Is Rey mysterio worth 20k in your opinion?

He's one of the biggest stars of all time, but 20 grand PA? It's a lot but it's not like he will work many matches with his injury problems, might as well try and make big money for the few times he can work.

·
Registered
10,073 Posts

Rey isn't hurting for cash. He probably doesn't need to work regularly to be alright.

It just means he doesn't have to work often, and when he does, it's worth his time.

·
Banned
10,735 Posts

I'd pay that amount if I was running my own promotion. I'm not even a fan of his, never have been, but I still recognize his worth. He'd be a GREAT asset for Lucha Underground

·
Is a Snit Head
22,317 Posts

A big issue with the price is the ability of other promotions to pay him.

And I think that might just be too much. Rey will get a lot of people to any shows he gets booked on, I won't doubt that. But do you realize how many fans he would need to attract to be worth that price? 1,000 extra fans at $20 a ticket, 500 extra fans at $40 a ticket (which actually seems plausible). Point being he would have to attract a lot of people. I feel like a lot of promoters would have to be willing to take a loss on bringing him in for one show and operate with the idea that they won't make money off Rey but he will bring in a lot of people and with a good show they will get those people to come back for their other shows.

I would also expect him to do a decent number of shows in England since the exchange rate would be very favorable for a company that has to pay him.

·
The Irish Rapist
3,392 Posts

Depends on the reach of the organization that books him. I don't know how a indy can afford 20k for one guy, but I don't know their structure.

·
Registered
13,746 Posts

one of my friends used to book a local indie fed a few years ago and back in 2007 christian was asking for $2,500, kurt angle $5,000 and hulk hogan $20,000 and nobody was booking them at that price back then at those prices and the business was hotter then across the board that it is now.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts

He would definitely be a big asset to the promotions he wrestles in, but I think 20,000 is a bit much. Would some of those promotions even be able to afford that?

·
Registered
805 Posts

Not in 2015, but Rey is smart to do this. His body is broken down as it is, so at least every time he wrestles he'll be making a ton of money to make it worth it.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,317 Posts

If the promotion gets to keep the money he makes on autographs and pictures he might be worth it. Like if for $20,000 Rey signs autographs and takes pictures for $20 (each) before the show and then wrestles on the card you could make it all back between the revenue for the signings and the extra tickets he would sell for being on the card.

That being said he could make the money back to cover his fee. But there is no guarantee that he would and an indy company would be taking a huge gamble to pay that fee.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

i try to figure it out more complex.
a lucha promotion wants to make itself a bigger name by adding the most known recent lucha star.
i think the promo buys his name and adds it to their pride.
so he can be much more worth than 20k.
however 20k seems to be a great deal for rey. i

·
Registered
21,665 Posts

Rey Mysterio is a cash cow. I've seen indy companies selling his masks where he was nothing to do with the show! He is extremely popular with children and the hispanic community. Don't forget children is a key demographic for anybody with a product because kids have more money spent on them than any other demographic of people.

Also, don't forget the guy is loaded so there's little for him to gain by working so it'll have to be enough to make him wanna leave his house/family.

·
Banned
75 Posts

I doubt he's worth that much. Yes he is still a big star but can he attract a thousand more people? Do indies even have that space? I highly doubt it. Promoters will also be wanting to make profit.

The only way I can see him worth that much is if it is a really big venue and they are super confident of making it back.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts

If he brings in $21k in ticket sales, yes. That's doubtful for a small promotion. It's all about drawing higher than the number they pay you, which is why I wouldn't pay Brock, since with the structure they have and the amount of dates, I don't think he brings in anywhere near what he costs them.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts