Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mysterio is loved by all kinds of fans. Regardless of age, gender, or longevity, everyone loves Rey Mysterio. For basically his entire career he has been a fan favorite. Because of his style of wrestling, he is easy to like. He helped bring a style of wrestling that was unheard of on American soil and has helped revolutionize the business for the past, present, and future. Mysterio is a pioneer in the industry. Everyone loves Rey. Whether you are a 10 year old boy who is just getting into pro wrestling or if you're a middle age traditionalist of the Golden Age, you like Rey Mysterio.

Do you think he is the best babyface wrestler of all time? He is universally loved and I can't ever recall him being booed to an extent that would make me think otherwise. Obviously injuries have not helped his career in recent years, but if you look at what he did before that and just how over he was with everyone.

Though there have been plenty of great babyfaces in the past like Steamboat, Santana, Jeff Hardy, etc; but I don't think any of them are better than Rey.

What do you think makes a good babyface and who do you think is the best face ever?

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
For me its Eddie

There was just something astonishingly loveable about that guy

His run from No Way Out 2004 to Great American Bash was magnificent. Especially Judgement Day

·
ROWDY RODDY PIPER
12,960 Posts
I fucking hate Mysterio with a passion. My friend and I at my old job would discuss every Tuesday morning (morning after Raw, obviously) how much we hate him and FF his matches. Fuck Mysterio.

Hogan is the man when it comes to loved by many (perhaps not as much now, but, GOAT back then, in this case).

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Eddie>Mysterio as far as quality goes. A lot of people are >Mysterio at being a babyface when you're talking about getting real with wrestling, which is what adults are driven to.
Eddie has so many intangibles it's ridiculous though.
Mysterio is just... mysterious..

I could see how Mysterio could be a very badass babyface "kid's character" though. I think Mysterio has a one up on every other babyface because of the high flying and mysterious superhero thing and whatnot. No one else has had that that I know of. He has a cool mask too. Like, really cool. And fireworks. All of this plays a BIG factor in the "kid's choice babyface" department, if you will.

·
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
6,866 Posts
Hogan = the greatest babyface of all time.

honorable mention to Cena.

Cena is a better example on what makes you a good babyface. You stand for good things, like hustle, respect and loyalty. You stand up for bullying. You work you´re ass off for charity. You´re a role model for the younger audience.

·
Know Your Worth
10,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not asking who the biggest star is. Im asking who the best "good guy" wrestler is

Hogan was beloved in the 80s but by the time the 90s rolled around he was getting very audible boos

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Reactions: #Mark

·
Premium Member
38,763 Posts
that wasnt the question
Yes it was. How can you be the greatest baby face of all time when most fans don't even know who you are?
Not all wrestling fans know who Rey is but they know who Hogan is.

And when Hogan was a face there was no one bigger and there has been no one bigger.

Hogan is the greatest face of all time and he is the greatest heel of all time

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,397 Posts
My favorite Mysterio moment was in WCW. Nash wanted him to join NWO but he didnt want to, so they had a match. Nash lifted him up for the jackknife powerbomb. Mysterio reversed it as Nash fell on his back, and Rey pinned him 1 2 3 IT WAS AWESOME I MARKED THE FUCK OUT.

And then, I think the following week, Nash made Mysterio take his mask off.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
He is up there. Kids love him. Kids buy merch. I can see why people dislike him but he does some incredible things in the ring. Well, did. His best days are behind him. The match he has with Cena on Raw in 2011 for the title was amazing. Amazing baby performance from Rey in that one. Also, most of his matches with Eddie G (Halloween Havoc 97 and Summerslam 2005 mostly) are classics.

Austin, Rock, Bret Hart, Hogan, Steamboat, Savage all ahead of him

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
People are confusing legacy with how well someone played the babyface character. I don't think Rey is, but I certainly don't think Hogan was. He was cheered, and had a great legacy, but damn looking back at some of hi feuds Hogan was a dick. It couldn't be more obvious that exactly what Savage was upset about was true. You don't say "I love" someone's woman. Hogan was stealing Savage's thunder and in the end he did take Savage's belt. Hogan was a dick to Paul Orndoff too.

Austin is up there, but people have to understand that a babyface (protagonist) doesn't have to be a "good guy". It's just like a film. All they did was put Austin against worst people. That's like the plot of every action movie.

Rey is a great face, but I just don't think he's the best of all time.

·
Banned
3,871 Posts
Lol how can anyone call Hogan or Cena the greatest babyface? Both got booed out of the building several Times. Rey is high up on the list but id still put steamboat over him.

·
Custom User Title
15,242 Posts
I don't think it's true that everyone loves Rey and I definitely don't think best babyfaces should be judged by crowd reactions.

But I think there's definitely a case for Rey as best babyface ever.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
Definitely one of the best and most consistent. Consistency in a face is an important thing.

The 'best' face of all time is Hulk Hogan, who, in his short stint in WCW, was also one of the best heels (however that wasn't because of his character - just because of his deception, which was not long lasting)

However because Rey has been a face for like 90% of his lengthy career, and a constant draw for all kinds of people in all countries, he's definitely a shoe in for second place - depending on what you think makes someone the "greatest face".

I.E. If it's merch sales he'd be behind Cena, but if it's universal reaction he'd be in front.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts