Wrestling Forum banner

Is Rey Mysterio overrated?

8729 Views 61 Replies 43 Participants Last post by  dalmatians
I think he is. Never liked him much since his WCW days. I think out of all the guys currently on the WWE roster, Rey is probably the guy whose status (how over he is) is the most incongruent with his actual level of talent. I don't know what he did to deserve the massive push he got in 2006. He's useless on the mic, has a limited moveset, and he has what is probably the worst finisher in the business. His underdog gimmick has been stale for a while now as well. Look at all the matches he has had where he was the 'underdog', but actually won. All he really has going for him is his theme, which I would have to admit is pretty good. But that doesn't make up for his other shortcomings. I would like to see Rey back at a level more suited to his talent - a steady midcarder. He should be a guy who up-and-comers have to beat when they are trying to work their way up the ladder.

What do you guys think?
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
4,882 Posts
I think he is one of the most remarkable performers I've ever had the pleasure of watching. You don't need a microphone when you're a genius inside the squared circle. Even with a worn out body he still consistently steals the show and in his prime he was just breathtaking. If anything the guy is underrated.

· Banned
5,110 Posts
He was the man in WCW

His WWE run has annoyed me. His superRey run has been 100 times worse than SuperCena.
Rey went from someone I really loved (WCW) to someone I genuinely HATE. When I see him on my screen I'm automatically pissed.
I just sigh, roll my eyes and watch him clean pin 7 footers

· Premium Member
285 Posts
I have to agree with Henry. Everytime I watch Rey perform its amazing to me the stuff he is able to do. Yes his performance's now adays arent as great as they were 10 years ago but he still is nothing short of spectacualar.

· Recognize
21,207 Posts
I don't think that people overrate him, I would say its quite the opposite actually. The reason for this is because most people don't like the fact that he's small, is a high flyer and has received super pushes at times therefore they speak out against him. While I don't particularly like Rey's character, when he was a match you can be sure that I'm going to watch it because he knows what he's doing and knows how to entertain. He can work with everybody and has had several classic matches too. I find it funny though that the people criticizing Rey are probably the exact same people advocating for Bryan to get a push.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
I think he is. Never liked him much since his WCW days. I think out of all the guys currently on the WWE roster, Rey is probably the guy whose status (how over he is) is the most incongruent with his actual level of talent. I don't know what he did to deserve the massive push he got in 2006. He's useless on the mic, has a limited moveset, and he has what is probably the worst finisher in the business. His underdog gimmick has been stale for a while now as well. Look at all the matches he has had where he was the 'underdog', but actually won. All he really has going for him is his theme, which I would have to admit is pretty good. But that doesn't make up for his other shortcomings. I would like to see Rey back at a level more suited to his talent - a steady midcarder. He should be a guy who up-and-comers have to beat when they are trying to work their way up the ladder.

What do you guys think?
Mysterio used to be a great performer but now he is definitely overrated. He just can't wrestle like he once did because of all the injuries. And I think WWE definitely uses him too much. He is second (after John Cena) on my list of people that I'm tired of seeing week after week.

And yeah, I agree that Mysterio (along with people like taker and cena) need to step aside and let some of the young guys have the spotlight instead of being like Hogan was...

· Premium Member
285 Posts
The only thing that really bothered me out of all the Mysterio story lines is the mask ones. I hate with a passion the mask vs whatever matches

· FEED ME LESS!
3,857 Posts
Rey is one of the best things about the wwe. He can be a believeable world champion and provide great entertainment throughthat, or he can be someone who sends people over because his beatdowns look verrrrry good even thugh he looses.

the endorse who set the course
11,818 Posts
nah, when u think of high flyers, he's the first one who comes to mind. the suns setting on his career but he still puts on some great performances. to be able to wrestle the way he has for so long is remarkable, i respect him a lot.

· Registered
6,512 Posts
Mysterio used to be a great performer but now he is definitely overrated. He just can't wrestle like he once did because of all the injuries. And I think WWE definitely uses him too much. He is second (after John Cena) on my list of people that I'm tired of seeing week after week.

And yeah, I agree that Mysterio (along with people like taker and cena) need to step aside and let some of the young guys have the spotlight instead of being like Hogan was...
What? He's in his prime...

As it goes, Mysterio is an exceptional talent and a true legend. Not overrated in my books.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.