Wrestling Forum banner

Is Punk trying to recruit Orton?

2275 25
That was the impression a few of my friends and I got after tonight's show. It's been building since the start of their feud. Punk is telling Orton what not to do, knowing he'll do it because of his in-character psychosis/voices. He's feeding Orton the Nexus goons to make him overcome with rage until Punk eventually tries to "save" him - the whole theme of faith and sacrifice. The way Punk talks to Orton each week is like a psychiatrist talking to a lunatic, he's using his full name and giving a "I can help you, you don't want to do this." speech. Punk isn't exactly making a huge effort to give Orton any retribution either.

Having Punk save Orton from his anger problems would actually be a fairly entertaining path for both characters to take. Lord knows the "Viper" gimmick can't last forever.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Banned
3,179 Posts
This would actually be one of the more in-depth storylines WWE could do if they wanted, and I like your idea.

But I swear to god if they put a gimmick like Orton must join Nexus if he loses (ala Mysterio joining SES/Cena joining Nexus) at Wrestlemania, I'll be pissed.

· Banned
4,575 Posts
This is a great idea. I would mark out.

· Registered
103 Posts
That's exactly how it's looking to go. It actually took me til tonight's segment to realize Punk's meager attempts to talk Orton out of punting Mc-I can't spell it. Seriously, if creative actually has the depth to pull off this kind of storyline, then I would mark the fuck out.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
I certainly agree that Punk keeps talking to him like a psychiatrist speaking with a deranged lunatic; I actually said the same thing to some friends watching Raw. You bring up a great point about how Punk could be trying to almost circuitously "recruit" Orton. He may even be sacrificing the "New Nexus" members as they go while he attempts to lure Orton.

I don't see them altering Orton's character dramatically anytime soon. However, as a storyline it has massive potential.

· What?
25,886 Posts
As disappointed as I was today at the lack of time Punk/Orton program/segment whatever you want to call it got, I have to like the fact that they aren't leading us down another path of predictability. It's such an open-ended story line with such great potential in it (like this idea).

But I think for it to be pulled off you've got to make Nexus worth something. Right now they are just a bunch of jobbers, and unless they plan on having Randy eliminate every single one of the Nexus and then Orton/Punk becoming just a duo rather than Orton being a lackey, then I can see one of the best potential angle's having the worst outcome; Orton losing his credibility and being type-cast as another Nexus jobber. Which some may think he deserves.

Orton's character needs a direction. Because right now it's all over the place. I'm not sure if that's what they want or not but it's what is coming across.

I'd just like to say this is a great thread, I was expecting something totally different when I read the title ha.

19,974 Posts
Orton's character needs a direction. Because right now it's all over the place. I'm not sure if that's what they want or not but it's what is coming across.
Well, he is supposed to be an unpredictable psychopath. I'm probably confusing your actual point, though, but I figured I'd just float that out there.

I actually think the concept of Punk destroying The New Nexus--or, perhaps more likely, destroying all of it save Mason Ryan and CM Punk going into Wrestlemania--and the feud becoming simply Punk (w/ Mason Ryan) and Orton with it becoming a psychological mind game of sorts has the most potential.

As dark as it sounds to say this, Punk's character is clearly a Charles Manson, David Koresh type. He gets his hooks into people, and slowly drains them of everything before discarding them and moving on. It would fit his character to have merely used these Nexus goons, save for the one guy he actually shepherded into the group in Ryan (who also probably has the most raw potential to be something in WWE considering his look, size, etc.) to get to the prize of Orton.

· Registered
4,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually think the concept of Punk destroying The New Nexus--or, perhaps more likely, destroying all of it save Mason Ryan and CM Punk going into Wrestlemania--and the feud becoming simply Punk (w/ Mason Ryan) and Orton with it becoming a psychological mind game of sorts has the most potential.
That's the exact scenario I was picturing. I think it would be pretty amazing and would provide an in-universe way of getting Orton out of acting like a psychopath. I actually like his current "hearing voices" character, but it's certainly not the kind of gimmick you want to be saddled with for your entire career.

· What?
25,886 Posts
Well, he is supposed to be an unpredictable psychopath. I'm probably confusing your actual point, though, but I figured I'd just float that out there.

As dark as it sounds to say this, Punk's character is clearly a Charles Manson, David Koresh type. He gets his hooks into people, and slowly drains them of everything before discarding them and moving on. It would fit his character to have merely used these Nexus goons, save for the one guy he actually shepherded into the group in Ryan (who also probably has the most raw potential to be something in WWE considering his look, size, etc.) to get to the prize of Orton.
Yeah I understand that he is supposed to be the unpredictable psychopath type and all but where is he going? It just seems sloppy to me I guess. Punk is leading this entire feud step by step and Orton needs to take control and lead it himself to add some depth to his character and the angle in general. I'm finding it really hard to explain what I mean I hope it's making sense but I doubt it.

I'm not really a fan of Orton but I see great potential for a memorable Wrestlemania matchup. And for that to happen Orton needs to step outside his comfort zone. Not so far that he doesn't know what he's doing but enough so that it brings something fresh to his tiring character. He seems like a heel that is getting cheered. But why is he getting cheered? It's like the audience is doing it just because. He could be absolutely MASSIVE either way (face or heel) if he just showed SOMETHING. ANYTHING. And I think this is the time to do it.

Punk and he will have a good match at mania there is no doubt about it. But to have a great storyline is something totally different. And I feel that with Punk rolling the way he is the last few months and Orton seemingly improving since last time I paid attention while he was on my TV this can be a truly show-stealing match.

19,974 Posts
Ah, I do understand what you are saying now, Evolution. Orton's a tricky character to explain, to say the least, because he is effectively a pumped-up version of his heel character--now able to fight his own battles and prevail in his own matches unlike the Legacy days, for instance--and the fans just... like him. It's difficult to explain, but I would suggest that much of it transcends his gimmick and character. Orton's only 30 but he's had a presence on WWE television, on and off, for almost nine years now. A few years ago you could tell that despite being a heel, a lot of fans had begun to warm up to him. And with his psycho character taking off a couple years back, a lot of the older male fans in particular took to him.

Most babyfaces are almost de facto defined by their heel opposition, it seems to me. The heel sets the parameters of feuds and characters. Orton has sadly not had a direct, powerful rivalry with any heel in particular since turning face without it being directly over the WWE Championship (they tried with Edge but it ended badly). CM Punk could be that for him, though. That's the most I can offer on any of this right now.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
I got the same feeling when I was watching this segment. Punk is trying to use his power of manipulation to try and change Orton as a person. All Punk needs to do is cut a promo like this a few weeks before Mania:

"You're sick Randall. You're mentally unstable. You need help. That sickness is the reason you kicked me in the skull 2 years ago. But I can save you Randall, I can cure those voices in your head, that make you hurt innocent people like me. Let me save you Randall."

This, the Cole/Miz feud and Rey/Cody are pretty much the only feuds I see actually having a well written storyline involved, which is a bit of a shame.

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Niiiiice thread. I mentioned in a different thread about Punk playing the therapist to Randy's psycho at the minute, so I'm thrilled to see that other people have picked up on this too! :)

I really hope that WWE are taking Punk/Orton down this path. It's such a refreshing take on a feud and it would be so psychological and interesting. Both men have such intense characters, I know their feud can go so much deeper than simply "I hate you, I want to kick your ass". It looks like it is slowly unraveling to be something more than that now, so I hope WWE doesn't fuck it up.

We need more talk. Much more talk. Have a backstage segment with Punk talking to the remaining Nexus members about Orton, almost in an obsessive way. He could be acting so strange that even Nexus look confused and oblivious to their future sacrifice. Or even have a backstage interaction between Punk and Orton himself, building the feud in a different way, but still making Punk a little creepy. Either way, it should eventually lead to Punk cutting a promo on Orton about how he wants to "save" him. It's bound to be leading to that.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
It sounds good on paper but in reality I think it would be a clusterfuck and ruin one of WWE's hottest stars. Let the feud play out. Orton has obviously been given the role of Nexus-destroyer and the only downside to this is that it took WWE so fucking long to get to it. I've said from the start Orton was better suited to the role than Cena. It's more believable for Orton to take people out one by one than Cena. With Cena, it felt forced. You can't be all lovey-dovey one minute and then a wrecking machine the next. Orton being able to take out a group of wrestlers is something much more appealing and believable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.