Wrestling Forum banner

Is punk a failed project by wwe as an alternative to cena?

• yes

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • no

Votes: 25 69.4%

Is Punk a failed project?

783 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  HOJO 
#1 ·
The only time punk was relevant was when he was facing cena/hhh and breaking kayfabe.dont u think wwe wants another star besides cena.orton was average success.atleast he could hold it on his own in the presence of cena.punk has been a dismal failure.he needs to break kayfabe to be interesting and tat appeals to a limited section of audience.I was watching some of his segments during summer of punk angle.he kept making so much inside references tat we the iwc may have found interesting but a casual crowd couldnt understand it.no wonder the ratings dont increase during his segments....i read tat time wwe was so upset wit his non-drawing tat they again started to push cena.

#2 ·
Failed?

Did you see the pop he had tonight? He's massively over, that's all that matters.

#3 ·
No. In the WWE's mind he's a big success. They have someone who is very over and sells them a done of merchandise and can perform well every time he has a match. But, in terms of storylines and how much more over he could have been; yes he is a failure.

#5 ·
No. In the WWE's mind he's a big success. They have someone who is very over and sells them a done of merchandise and can perform well every time he has a match. But, in terms of storylines and how much more over he could have been; yes he is a failure.
That's all that matters.

#4 ·
I'll say no, since he's one of the most over wrestlers right now. The fans at arenas seem to always enjoy when he comes out and appears, so it's been successful due to his constant and strong push over the past twelve months.

Now, as a fan myself, I find him to be stale right now, and I've considered him stale for about 8 months now. I enjoyed Punk until a little bit after the Triple H fued. Somewhere between that and the "super booking" where he was winning basically handicap matches against Del Rio and Miz, I stopped enjoying him. It was sort of a reality check that he was just being booked as another Cena with different dialouge. Though, he was growing stale to me even before that.

In terms of PPV sales, they don't seem to be blowing the doors off sales records when the main story revolves around Punk. But it's easy for apologists to pawn that off as "lazy booking" or "lackluster surrounding fueds". Even if that isn't the case (there's always lazy booking and lackluster fueds).

But yeah, basically, it depends on your view of "failed".

Punk is popular, and very over right now. So he's a success in that sense.

In terms of, "could he carry the show if Cena was completely gone", the answer is no. But to be fair, what current guy even could? It's not a fair comparison.

Still, I think considering how long and hard Punk's push has been there should be a lot more to show for it. So I am disappointed. . .but again, I definitely wouldn't say he's a failed project.

#7 ·
They sabotaged his push so that he wouldn't overtake Cena, number one. They don't want somebody with the reputation of a guy like him to be the face of the WWE. Plus, Cena was facing Rock, which meant that he had to still be the top guy by April or the angle would've fallen apart. Understandable, but completely inexcusable to deliberately fuck up the angle that made Punk the hottest thing in wrestling. If they had done it correctly, he'd be bigger than Cena right now.

Still, he's accomplished a shitload, and nobody else in the WWE other than Cena is as over as he is. Calling him a failure is like calling every other former champion a failure too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.