Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Pro wrestling is just fine the way it is. Pretty much every company has something to offer for different people.

WWE is doing really well and all shows are pretty good every week.

AEW has been steadily improving and becoming more consistent each week.

Impact is putting on some good wrestling albeit the Tessa Blanchard situation.

NJPW is putting on good content too.

There's something out there for everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been watching wrestling for 40 + years ( Im 48) If you noticed a decline in the last 10 years imagine how bad it is for people that have been watching it for 20 to 30 ++ years
Im 46 and been watching close to 40. I DVR raw and smack down and just can’t seem to watch it from beginning to end the last two years. It was must see a while back. Held my attention and now I just lost interest in it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im 46 and been watching close to 40. I DVR raw and smack down and just can’t seem to watch it from beginning to end the last two years. It was must see a while back. Held my attention and now I just lost interest in it.
I watched for 25 years before becoming bored. Wonder if it's an age thing. They do chase after the 18-34 for a reason.

Doesn't help that it's a archaic cheesey variety show product, which doesn't even take itself seriously, masquerading as a prime time wrestling product. At least in the 80's and for most of the 1990's, when it chased the family ticket, they acted like it was real 90% of the time. Then in the 2000's they chased the adult male.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Maybe its just this generation has passed us. I have relatives that are young and love the likes of Reigns. I just dont see it but maybe they will complain about the new guy 20 years from now and talk about the good ole days of Reigns. I came up with the ruthless agression era and loved it but back then people shat on jbl,hhh and cena. Todays kids will never sit down and watch 3 hours of raw. I have siblings and cousins aged 10-13 and they just want the highlights so they can put in on the snapchat feed or whatever. Maybe this fastpaced action is for them and not us.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Promo quality has fallen considerably and that’s a fact. Years of WWE scripts have lowered expectations. The focus on workrate instead of stories and characters is killing the business.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I watched for 25 years before becoming bored. Wonder if it's an age thing. They do chase after the 18-34 for a reason.

Doesn't help that it's a archaic cheesey variety show product, which doesn't even take itself seriously, masquerading as a prime time wrestling product. At least in the 80's and for most of the 1990's, when it chased the family ticket, they acted like it was real 90% of the time. Then in the 2000's they chased the adult male.
I don't think it's an age thing. I'm 31 and I have noticed a decline in quality in the last 10 years, and specially in the last 4-5 years or so. I can barely stand the product now. When Shawn Michaels and Edge retired, many other stars became part-timers and WWE botched at creating new stars, things began to go to hell. And without these guys it became even more apparent how bad current WWE is at creating compelling gimmicks and character, managing faces and hells, making the talent stand out and all of that. They can't write a consistent and interesting feud to save their lifes. They waste a lot of talented people and then push others erratically. Even the titles look worse and worse.

I don't care about WWE feeling real or not. When I started watching, we had all kind of unrealistic gimmicks and shenanigans. I'd even say that some of these were a huge part of why I became a fan. I don't want to watch a guy with a generic attire, a generic name comprised of two surnames and a generic "I'm here because I love the WWE Universe/I want to be the best!/I am better than you(hell version). I want the Undertaker, Goldust, Kane, KIng Booker, Jeff Hardy, Bray Wyatt, etc. Daniel Bryan's heelish vegan persona was way more interesting than a truck loaded with Ricochets and Revivals. It's not like all the roster has to be like that, but WWE needs to feel larger than life.

And I don't want generic feuds and stories about "who's the better man" or who wants a belt. These are fine for established characters. Watching two nobodies feuding over who's best is boring and uninspired as hell. I don't even remember the last time a WWE feud caught my attention. Maybe Bryan's big push back in the day?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts