Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I have been a religious follower of pro wrestling and WWE since last 10-15 years. I was recently thinking about how WWE has changed over the course of time, its story lines, plots and wrestlers. However I have also noticed my decrease in the level of interest in these today's plots as compared to earlier times. There was a genuine hate for heel triple H during the earlier evolution times. I dont find that much involvement today when I see absurd Bray Wyatt character development and other plots, for instance. Earlier I used to follow WWE week after week always on the edge of the seat to know what will happen. Now it has drastically reduced.
Just wanted to understand your thoughts on this, what do you think, what has changed?

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
1,661 Posts
They’re doing the same idea they’ve been doing for many years now.

If you’re comparing today to anything 12+ years ago, yes it’s different.

Doesn’t mean it’s worse or better, just different

·
Fearless University Graduate
14,978 Posts
Its not losing it, its lost it. Pro Wrestling, actual Pro Wrestling has been replaced by a bunch of failed gymnasts doing a stunt routine.

Actual Pro Wrestling is nearly dead. Characters, Promos, Drama, Feuds, Stories, all largely things of the past now, replaced by charisma blackholes with the personality of a plank of wood doing flips. Anyone who actually fits the mold of a real Pro Wrestler gets nowhere thesedays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can be a lifetime fan for a sports team but a WWE fan has an expiration date. WWE is built for generating the younger audience but fails to sustain them for an entire lifetime imo. There are some like myself who's been watching for decades but the main brand is getting harder to watch.

·
HEADBANGA
21,720 Posts
Hello guys,
I have been a religious follower of pro wrestling and WWE since last 10-15 years. I was recently thinking about how WWE has changed over the course of time, its story lines, plots and wrestlers. However I have also noticed my decrease in the level of interest in these today's plots as compared to earlier times. There was a genuine hate for heel triple H during the earlier evolution times. I dont find that much involvement today when I see absurd Bray Wyatt character development and other plots, for instance. Earlier I used to follow WWE week after week always on the edge of the seat to know what will happen. Now it has drastically reduced.
Just wanted to understand your thoughts on this, what do you think, what has changed?
View attachment 82730
The question you should really ask is: Is WWE losing its quality? If you want to see stories with some substance and gravitas, they you should watch AEW. The Cody/MJF feud and Moxley/Jericho has had some great story building in the past few months and is blowing anything the WWE is doing in terms of storytelling out of the water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It declined back when AWA and WCCW called it a day and Jim Herd was given the keys to WCW.

It declined further when garbage like Papa Shango, Max Moon, Shockmaster, Mantaur, Isaac Yankem and Dungeon of Doom somehow made it to television.

The NWO and Vince McMahon taking the ECW concept turned things around, until overexposure and Crash TV sunk two companies. Leaving a carny family with a monopoly - if you ever need an example of why monopolies are bad, take a look at WWE.

It's been in terrminal decline since March 2001. As an artform at least.

·
Registered
281 Posts
15 years ago was when it really began going downhill, with the worst being 10 years ago. The quality of booking is still shocking in WWE, but the in-ring talent is far superior now, compared to a decade ago.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Unfortunately it has been on a steady decline. WWE had a few bad years in the 90's but this decline seems as though it has been going on since the end of Wrestlemania 26, to me. Bad booking, hot-shot story lines and too many titles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Losing? It's already lost. Wrestling lost its quality when it lost the key qualities that made it popular (Promos, Charisma, Stories, and Characters). Look at Raw, Smackdown, NXT, and AEW as an example. With few exception, none of these so called "Wrestlers" have charisma, nor do they look like a Star. Simply put, Wrestling is full of charisma vacuum midgets who couldn't draw a Supermarket.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
IMO it started drastically when WWE took the whole mainstream wrestling concept over with no competition.They could do what they wanted without any fear of being toppled at all. That meant they could take chances of having the likes of Stephanie McMahon throwing creative crap at the wall and seeing what stuck over and over while they lost viewers.

Plus you could say coupled with going public and having to please shareholders by keeping the product safe and palatable to the mainstream.

They changed the tried and true traditions of having big gold belts in favour of hideous belts that represented a TV program. Marketing and branding became more important than anything or anyone, rather than building a top guy and putting the marketing and branding around them (See SCSA, Hulk Hogan etc).

Most of all the most damaging thing was - abandoning the absolutely vital process of essentially letting the crowd decide who was the next upcoming guy > and then building them up to become number one usually with a slow burn. The crowd chose Stone Cold, they chose the Rock because they were talented. Management realised it and slowly pushed them to the top as IC champs or upper mid carders before making them the top of the heap. They didn't shove the title on them instantly like they do now.

What began with John Cena was selecting him as the next big big FOTC project and pushing him over everyone else before he and the crowd were ready for it. Perhaps more importantly though was abandoning what got him over as a badass in favour of becoming a children's entertainer.

These fundamental changes for me are really what's led to the decline.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’ve said it before but as a gay wrestling fan I think it’s time WWE introduces more LGBTQ+ wrestlers and storylines. It’s a hot topic today and would bring in many new fans from the LGBTQ+ community

·
Registered
38 Posts
IMO it started drastically when WWE took the whole mainstream wrestling concept over with no competition.They could do what they wanted without any fear of being toppled at all. That meant they could take chances of having the likes of Stephanie McMahon throwing creative crap at the wall and seeing what stuck over and over while they lost viewers.

Plus you could say coupled with going public and having to please shareholders by keeping the product safe and palatable to the mainstream.

They changed the tried and true traditions of having big gold belts in favour of hideous belts that represented a TV program. Marketing and branding became more important than anything or anyone, rather than building a top guy and putting the marketing and branding around them (See SCSA, Hulk Hogan etc).

Most of all the most damaging thing was - abandoning the absolutely vital process of essentially letting the crowd decide who was the next upcoming guy > and then building them up to become number one usually with a slow burn. The crowd chose Stone Cold, they chose the Rock because they were talented. Management realised it and slowly pushed them to the top as IC champs or upper mid carders before making them the top of the heap. They didn't shove the title on them instantly like they do now.

What began with John Cena was selecting him as the next big big FOTC project and pushing him over everyone else before he and the crowd were ready for it. Perhaps more importantly though was abandoning what got him over as a badass in favour of becoming a children's entertainer.

These fundamental changes for me are really what's led to the decline.
In fairness, Cena was massively over back in 2004 and stayed that way until Jericho upstaged him at SummerSlam 2005. Plus, they had brilliantly built up Batista during that same period. Therefore it made sense to play to the cheers and boos. For example, the heat at ECW One Night Stand was off the charts. By 2007 he was a bonafide draw.

Where they went wrong was sacrificing every thing for him. Barrett, Miz, Riley, Cody, Ryback, CM Punk, Wyatt, Rusev... There was also no need to keep him as a family friendly babyface indefinitely. He should have turned by the time WM 29 arrived. The man was a natural heel, not a Bruno or Steamboat.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts