Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The Man
25,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both are physically gifted athletes but just cant or couldnt get it done on the mic. John still has a chance seeing that they are showcasing him and his ability more and more each week. If he cant go on the mic will he just stay a midcarder like Benjamin was or will they somehow have him become champ without spotlighting his weaknesses. They have both had great matches id say Morrison moreso but Benjamin and Miachaels was always a great one for me im sure many felt that was when Benjamin would be upgraded i believe Shawn even said something like that to him after the match. I think if John has that type of match with the likes of HHH, Cena or Undertaker he could take that next step.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Benjamin wasn't bad on the mic..he was pretty comfortable by the end. Everyone just wants him to be kind of PG kid pandering comedian like Cena that tells bad jokes and gets no reaction for it. Shit like that. But other than Jericho, no one was better in the ring in the last two years than Shelton Benjamin.

Saying that...if they wanted Benjamin to matter, he would have. Because they pushed Sheamus through even the wasn't over and no one had ever heard of him. A HHH errand boy pushed to success for utterly no reason over one of the most respected ring performers of the last 15 years.

Morrison will always be in Miz's shadow...no matter what he does. He's nothing.

·
The Man
25,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree Morrison will always be in Miz's shadow they probably saw it years ago by having Miz attack Morrison once their tag team split. I think thats the way it should be now anyway though because you can hate the Miz but you have to admit that he has improved greatly in the ring and is one of the best and natural on the mic. Morrison is great in the ring but his mic work isnt even decent to me. I actually thought he was pretty good when he was bout Palace of Wisdon and when he was on ECW.
In the end yeah Benjamin wasnt even bad on the mic. i think the whole Gold Standard thinh should have worked i think he is even a better athlete than Morrsion because he had the agility that morrison had but he also had lots of power

·
Registered
942 Posts
I never have understood why this board creams over Morrison but shitted all over Benjamin. Both were known for their amazing athleticism and agility. The only thing different about them is their skin color.

Real talk.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
Benjamin wasn't bad on the mic..he was pretty comfortable by the end. Everyone just wants him to be kind of PG kid pandering comedian like Cena that tells bad jokes and gets no reaction for it. Shit like that. But other than Jericho, no one was better in the ring in the last two years than Shelton Benjamin.

Saying that...if they wanted Benjamin to matter, he would have. Because they pushed Sheamus through even the wasn't over and no one had ever heard of him. A HHH errand boy pushed to success for utterly no reason over one of the most respected ring performers of the last 15 years.

Morrison will always be in Miz's shadow...no matter what he does. He's nothing.
Shelton is one of the most respected ring performers of the last 15 years? Really?

·
WEF's #1 Oz Mark
11,119 Posts
Shelton is one of the most respected ring performers of the last 15 years? Really?
Definitely more than Randy Orton, yes.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Atleast Morrison has traces of mic skill and personality. The only thing Benjamin could do was wrestle.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Atleast Morrison has traces of mic skill and personality. The only thing Benjamin could do was wrestle.
This and Morrison wrestlers a more exciting style for the casual fans.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I really wonder why they don't just hire a vocal coach. Send him to Brian Blessed. Then they can have a storyline where Cena's believed to have been killed by the Nexus, and JoMo goes 'Cena's Aliiiiive!'

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Who really cares? The only reason Shealton probably didn't quite make it was because he didn't have "The Look", and JoMo does have "The Look" so they will push him.

·
Registered
648 Posts
A voice coach might help, but I'd just rather Morrison kick ass in the ring and let his actions do the talking. I think what Morrison needs is what Taker did for Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series. No, not break his back lol. What Taker did was take HBK to the limit. Until then, HBK was seen as a pretty boy, but Taker brought out Shawn's aggressive side kayfabe speaking. For many people, that was the first time they thought "Wow, HBK can actually kick ass".

It doesn't need to be Taker, but just someone who can take Morrison to that next level, what Sheamus did but even more so. JoMo needs to drop the frilly rhinestone pants and make himself look more badass. People are really starting to buy into him, and I think if he could add a bit more edge to his persona, and WWE would stop giving lame jokes and let him do his talking in the ring, it would push him over the hump.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
No, Morrison won't turn out like Shelton Benjamin. Similar to Shelton, he uses a lot of high moves and is often known for some crazy spots he can do but aside from that, it's different. I don't think the WWE ever had any intention of pushing Shelton Benjamin to a world title, whereas I believe they do with Morrison therefore the booking of the two will be different. Whereas Shelton was used FOR the high spots, Morrison will be PUSHED with the high spots. They've finally figured it out, the key to getting Morrison over lies in his ring work and nothing else. So that's how they are pushing him...with pretty damn good results too.

Morrison is fine on the mic usually (Shelton was also fine though), but Morrison has the look of a champion whereas Shelton doesn't. Morrison is getting a world title type push, whereas Shelton didn't really. Both are known for their athleticism but Morrison will be getting a push because of it. I like to think it's similar to Jeff Hardy, a guy known for his spots but where they used Shelton to just make people go 'wow' in a match like MITB, they used Jeffs spots to create a main eventer. I think if they continue pushing Morrison like they do, focusing on his ring work, then he could get tremendously over very quickly.

...and Morrison isn't black.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I don't think Morrison is like Shelton at all. I'm a fan of the both of them, although I'm a bigger fan of Shelton's.

I don't think he'll have a career like Shelton's because it's obvious that the WWE is behind Morrison.

He's getting a great slow build up to being a Main Event guy. Which, I think he'd be much better off that way than if he became a Main Event guy and won the title out of nowhere like a lot of guys have lately.

I don't really see the similarities between them in their in-ring style.

They're both can fly, but Shelton's a better technical wrestler and uses power along with his speed and leaping ability.

I think Morrison is definitely gonna be a Main Event guy. The fans are behind him, he's been putting great performances in the ring, and most importantly, it seems that the WWE is behind him.

Shelton had way too many start and stop pushes. It seemed like no matter how good his matches were, no matter how over he was, no matter he damn near broke his neck every year during the Money in the Bank Ladder Match. The WWE was never fully behind him.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Having suggested the vocal coach idea, I now so wish that Brian Blessed was a wrestler. Maybe he doesn't need to cut a promo to the quality of long-haired Chris Jericho to be within the inner circle, but I want him pushed all the way to the top. I know it's unlikely and not based in reality, but I want him to push Cena out as the main asset.

Yes, I know this won't happen because he's not some half-man-half-rhino.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,156 Posts
This thread is kind of funny in the context that I've always seen WWE as having chosen Johnny Nitro/John Morrison over Shelton Benjamin in June 2006 when he beat Benjamin for the Intercontinental Championship at Vengeance. After that, Morrison became something of a 'project,' ranging from Cena/K-Fed to ECW Champion to the Dirtsheet and everything to the 'Raw Rumble' this week, while Benjamin was made placeholder United States Champion for I think 243 days, never even sniffing a significant push beyond strong midcarder again. That seemed to be where WWE began viewing Benjamin as strictly midcard material, while seeing something a bit more in Nitro... er, Morrison.

Don't see Morrison as the "new" anything, it's not like he debuted in 2010, he's been around for a long, long time. Unless you want to get flamed to death by calling him the new Shawn Michaels which used to be a semi-popular thing to do on these Internets. Happily Morrison himself has addressed that.

I won't say Morrison is outright better than Benjamin, but I do think Benjamin's list of best singles matches indicates that he needed an experienced veteran who extensively knew psychology like the back of his hand. It's why his best singles matches are with Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho and Christian in my estimation (not that god-awful ladder match from TLC '09). (Orton at Bad Blood '04 is a worthwhile match, too, since Orton had at the very least a precocious sense of old-school, almost NWA-influenced heel psychology to his work at that time.) Though he had a bunch of excellent tag matches with Haas, like against Guerrero and Tajiri in the ladder match or even recently in ROH against the Kings of Wrestling, and he stole the show in a couple MITBs, obviously.

Morrison's list of best matches in WWE so far indicate that it depends more on the strengths of his opponent like most workers and the chemistry with which he forges his matches than necessarily being so dependent on their battle-hardened grasp of psychology, though obviously that always helps for anybody at least a little. Very strong list of matches against guys as disparate as Jericho, Punk (love their chemistry), Sheamus (great old school work from both when they go at it), Miz, Bryan, Bourne, Edge, Rey, Jeff Hardy, Ziggler, McIntyre (violent no DQ bout on Smackdown), Tyson Kidd (their Smackdown series makes my mouth water), DH Smith (underrated ***1/4 match on Superstars, August '09), Carlito and good matching up against Undertaker in tag matches and an Elimination Chamber encounter about a year ago as well as with Shawn Michaels in a tag match with DX. There you have old psychology-based vets, powerhouses, slugfest-style heels, high-flyers, at least one spot monkey, and almost everything in-between.

Just my two cents, free to be thrown down the storm drain.

Reactions: jiggysaw
1 - 20 of 48 Posts