Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Look at the Divas division for example. Beth Phoenix gave Kelly THE single best match of her career at Night of Champions. No arguments about it. The superplex spot put Kelly Kelly over, but if you look back on that match, you'll see that Beth Phoenix was the one guiding her through it.

You can take a diva like Natalya and put her up against a bikini model and she can make her look like a million bucks and sometimes I think thats taken for granted. WWE know that they can rely on the Beth Phoenix and Natalya's because they're loyal and they live for this.

CM Punk brought this up in WWE Magazine and said that guys like Colt Cabana are always pushed aside for the football players and bodybuilders and part of that reason is because those football players won't last forever. They'll move on and WWE will want to cash in while they can.

I don't like this mentality but I also don't see it changing any time soon. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Nope,If you want to be respected and remembered then
put on a good match and the folks will go nuts.Also
doing a good promo helps for sure.

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
This is very true in many respects... there have been wrestlers that were massively over and made people look like a million dollars in the ring but that was also there achilles heel in that it always led to them basically being enhancement talent. Rude and Christian are two of the poster boys for wrestlers that just make everyone they wrestle look better and are over but somehow get stuck in that role and never given the true respect by the management that they deserve. Even Eddie and Benoit were treated much that way despite better championship runs than Rude or Christian.

As a consolation prize though... Rude and I'm sure Christian will end up much higher in terms of legacy than many of those they helped put over during their careers.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
Well, most recently, Dolph Ziggler has been making all of his opponents look awesome with his selling. I don't think that goes unnoticed.

·
King James
24,700 Posts
In some cases I'm sure there are/were wrestlers who were just used to make others look good or serve as "jobber to the stars". Then you look at a superstar like "Nature Boy" Ric Flair and he is widely regarded as the greatest of all time and for a long period of time he made a living off of making every man he stepped into the ring look like a World Champion on a nightly basis.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Not at all. Being a reliable hand is going to guarentee your place on the roster and in the end steady employment is the goal. No one is going to put someone like Christian or Beth Pheonix on the future endeavored list. They are valuable assets.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
when two people are in the ring, their job is to make each other look good. simple as that.

as far as the divas division goes, this is why kelly has the title still. she's the most popular diva on the roster by far. right now, beth and natalya's job is to make kelly, miss popularity good in the ring and make her look legit. hence it will then add a little something to the divas title and then when beth or natalya finally win it, it will be special. im not even sure kelly kelly will lose at HIAC. the problem with that angle though, they need to add a new wrinkle to it. someone needs to be added. or maybe enough with the roll up wins, maybe kelly finally beats someone with a move. what im thinking is that she's made out to look pretty tough and scrappy in the cell and might not win with a move, but some slams into the cage, or a weapon from under the ring. something that says you cant just fuck with me and get away with it.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
As Chris Jericho said, if you're a good wrestler, you'll always have a job, but you'll always do the job.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Christian has been misused for a large portion of his career due to his ability to make his opponent look like a million bucks

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Not a negative thing at all. If you can consistently make other guys look good then you give yourself a much bigger chance of continued employment and improve your standing in the company.

I certainly don't think it goes hand in hand with 'being misused' or not being champion. Not everyone is going to be champion, no matter how hard they work or how good physically they are. It's a business not a competition.

People think if someone doesn't become a champion or a main event mainstay that somehow they are a failure. But it's a pretty good achievement for the average wrestler just to make it to the WWE and stay there.

I mean people constantly rag on a guy like Billy Gunn for instance, but he was good enough to have a job in the top wrestling promotion for what, ten years almost? He never had the personality to be a big star, but he made it a lot further than most people who decide to lace up the boots who languish in the indies forever.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Ziggler is the perfect example of this, he makes every one look great. Dont recall the Khali matches, but I am sure the matches were great ( to Khali's standards )

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Usually, yes. The best wrestlers, especially the best sellers, tend to be jobbers and never really win since they make their opponents look so good. It's best to Cena someone and no sell tbh. They'll for some reason like you better. Even Orton was a main event jobber cause of his selling(his heel run in 2009). Only one who wasn't was Rock and Flair that I can think of.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I don't think making someone look good can ever be a bad thing, even if a certain guy will never be seen like the main guy, being able to make the main guy look good will always see that guy likely to get a ME run

1 - 14 of 14 Posts