Wrestling Forum banner

Is John Cena still the face that runs the place?

• Yes

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 35.2%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Baby Yoda
30,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cena has gone part time and is only used for the big PPVs with the odd smaller PPV. According to Meltzer, he was still well ahead of everyone else in terms of merch sales and is the only real house show and ratings draw the company has.

He'd taken a smaller role in the company and has featured less prominent feuds for the last 3 years at WM (missed 32 IIRC), and it's apparent to all that he is winding down so he can focus on his movie career. It's rather sad that after 3 years there isn't a suitable replacement that has emerged to take his crown. Cena has given away the spotlight and yet is still in my mind the face that runs the place.

Is there a real possibility he could leave the company with no proper replacement in place?

·
Registered
18,879 Posts

God help whoever succeeds him because WWE hasn't done the best job of finding John Cena's replacement thus far.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
How depressing is it that the fucker is half way out the door and yet still feels like the top dog :kobelol
And there's currently no one who seems worthy of being the top dog

Great job, WWE :lol

Reactions: Ace

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I feel like he hasnt been the fotc since he lost to Bryan at Summerslam 2013. Thats when his run on top came to an end and they started looking for his replacement. Thats also when he started taking all these clean losses to guys like Bryan,Owens and Styles. Something you never thought you'd see back then.

After Bryan they started grooming Reigns and now Cena hasnt been in the mainevent of mania since the one he had with Rock 4 years ago and he hasnt really held the world title much at all either. Now is the perfect time to turn him heel and set up a match with Reigns

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well it's all by design, you see. Ryback said that HHH said that there will never be another John Cena. They're not just failing, no!!! It's by design that Roman's a failure. No one else is going to cheat on Vince and HHH's fake entertainment company with Hollywood by making a huge name for themselves. A mediocre name going and blowing up? That's fine. They weren't invested anyways. What a couple of petty teenagers they are.

Also, perhaps not a top dog but there is a big dog that's around that Vince's trying to get over like Cena.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
Nope, but Reigns is inching closer and closer to it as Cena inches closer and closer out of WWE. I think Reigns has already surpassed Brock Lesnar at thos point and its just Cena who stands in his way.

·
Baby Yoda
30,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, but Reigns is inching closer and closer to it as Cena inches closer and closer out of WWE. I think Reigns has already surpassed Brock Lesnar at thos point and its just Cena who stands in his way.
I don't think it's close at all.

Cena is barely around and rarely in the main event yet still comes off as the top guy in the company.

As for Lesnar, really? The dude is one of the two megastars who they have left... his name actually means something to casual fans.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Cena has gone part time and is only used for the big PPVs with the odd smaller PPV. According to Meltzer, he was still well ahead of everyone else in terms of merch sales and is the only real house show and ratings draw the company has.

He'd taken a smaller role in the company and has featured less prominent feuds for the last 3 years at WM (missed 32 IIRC), and it's apparent to all that he is winding down so he can focus on his movie career. It's rather sad that after 3 years there isn't a suitable replacement that has emerged to take his crown. Cena has given away the spotlight and yet is still in my mind the face that runs the place.

Is there a real possibility he could leave the company with no proper replacement in place?
Until he and Reigns have a showdown he hasn't really passed the torch yet, but they're combining their names together now in a lot of interviews. Cena did one the other day where he was putting over Roman and spoke at length about him. Bobby Roode just did one and ended up saying, "The kids down here, they want to be John Cena, they want to be Roman Reigns."

I think it's kind of a talking point they want to get out there. This is just my speculation, but I see sometimes things that seem like a corporate directive to get out there because all of a sudden you'll hear people saying the same kinds of things in their interviews. The last one I remember was 'family friendly show' a lot of different people were hitting that point when they were being interviewed.

BTW, what is going on in the GIF that's in your sig? Is that guy crying? and why?

·
Baby Yoda
30,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Until he and Reigns have a showdown he hasn't really passed the torch yet, but they're combining their names together now in a lot of interviews. Cena did one the other day where he was putting over Roman and spoke at length about him. Bobby Roode just did one and ended up saying, "The kids down here, they want to be John Cena, they want to be Roman Reigns."

I think it's kind of a talking point they want to get out there. This is just my speculation, but I see sometimes things that seem like a corporate directive to get out there because all of a sudden you'll hear people saying the same kinds of things in their interviews. The last one I remember was 'family friendly show' a lot of different people were hitting that point when they were being interviewed.

BTW, what is going on in the GIF that's in your sig? Is that guy crying? and why?
He's disappointed after failing to beat Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight title and Kenny is comforting him. Kenny called him superman because he's been able to endure so much on those matches and has still managed to come out victorious.

Okada is in the middle one of the greatest title reigns in pro wrestling history with most of his title defenses being classics.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
As for who they've got in the pipeline -- Roman Reigns is just going to be there until fans objectively realize he is not as bad as they have subjectively used him. Mojo Rawley is the next guy we hate that gets jammed into those roles. They've got Tino Sabbatelli, Riddick Moss and Dan Matha coming through developmental -- they all look the part. Jason Jordan is incubating. Big E has got that potential, and a loose New Day association means that he can generate merchandise. They've got Jeff Hardy back, might make a play for Rey Mysterio later in the year, and while he may never be "the guy," Seth Rollins has got that "cool" factor in the ring that he could be a useful stop-gap in a Jeff Hardy/RVD type role.

But yeah, don't be surprised if Big E and Mojo Rawley are the next major projects on the main roster.

·
Baby Yoda
30,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Nah. Reigns and Balor are the two FOTC iirc.
By design they are, Cena still feels like the top dog even though he's never around. It helps that he's only one of two megastars the WWE have at their disposal.

As for who they've got in the pipeline -- Roman Reigns is just going to be there until fans objectively realize he is not as bad as they have subjectively used him. Mojo Rawley is the next guy we hate that gets jammed into those roles. They've got Tino Sabbatelli, Riddick Moss and Dan Matha coming through developmental -- they all look the part. Jason Jordan is incubating. Big E has got that potential, and a loose New Day association means that he can generate merchandise. They've got Jeff Hardy back, might make a play for Rey Mysterio later in the year, and while he may never be "the guy," Seth Rollins has got that "cool" factor in the ring that he could be a useful stop-gap in a Jeff Hardy/RVD type role.

But yeah, don't be surprised if Big E and Mojo Rawley are the next major projects on the main roster.
I wouldn't mind Patrick Clarke or Jason Jordan.

·
NO SPIN ZONE
659 Posts
He definitely still is... and everyone who might have even a sniff of a chance of taking that spot is pretty much only 5-8 years younger than him. AKA not truly suitable to take his spot long term.

Balor/Reigns/Styles ... likely not going to be around long enough to really take over.

·
Registered
18,879 Posts
Big E has got that potential, and a loose New Day association means that he can generate merchandise.

I wouldn't mind seeing this guy on top of WWE.

Wait, no, I'm being serious.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
I don't think it's close at all.

Cena is barely around and rarely in the main event yet still comes off as the top guy in the company.

As for Lesnar, really? The dude is one of the two megastars who they have left... his name actually means something to casual fans.
I really don't think Lesnar's name carries that much weight anymore. Certainly no where near the value he is being paid at. Hey, its just my personal opinion but to my non-wrestling fans friends who don't watch combat sports, they know nothing of Lesnar yet they know Rousey and Mcgregor. And the ones that do don't really seem to care for him. Its just they know his name but don't really seem to care what he is up to. He has relatively much less presence in the mainstream compared to Cena.

And Roman and for now Jinder have pretty much cornered the Indian and to a lesser extentthe middle eastern market. Thats a huge proportion of fans there. Lest we forget Roman Reigns has main evented 3 wrestlemanias in a row, won thr main title at one and retired the Undertaker in another. You don't achieve that much and still retain no mainstream influence. I'd say Lesnar and Reigns are around equal right now and if you'd put Lesnar against Reigns in the ring right now, I'd wager Reigns might get a better casual pop but Lesnar is just slightly more known due to his crossover stuff. But with Lesnar's popularity decreasing due to a lot of things(not showing up most of the time, stale suplex city) I think Roman will surpass him in terms of casual wrestling fans popularity if not already. Lesnar is simply just more well known due to his crossover shit.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts