Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Jinder one of the most surprising champions ever? My buddy and I tried to discuss more and came up with a few, Bob Backlund in 94, Luger in 97, Slaughter in 91 and a few more. If you're bored or have a road trip this weekend check out our show this week, here or on itunes. Or just continue to discuss in this thread.

https://soundcloud.com/ppw-podcast/p...sing-champions

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
Not for me. Given how horrendous the product is, and how absolutely insane Vince has been in recent years, I fully expected this scenario.

He is, however, objectively one of the worst champions ever.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I'm going to stick with actual wrestlers here as Arquette will always win if not.

Slaughter beating Warrior still wins here for me. Friends at school told me about it and I refused to believe that they weren't joking.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,258 Posts
Ivan Koloff beating Bruno Sammartino

Sammartino says that after the match ended, the crowd was in such stunned silence he thought he'd gone deaf.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
It's really sad that Jinder now has as many world title reigns as Ambrose, Owens, and Wyatt...wtf WWE -__-
Owens will easily get more than Jinder, but as for Ambrose and Wyatt.....yeah.

Hell, Jinder having a world title reign over anyone is ridiculous. I can't think of anybody off the top of my head that I'd take Jinder over. I guess I'd rather have Jinder as champion than Stephanie McMahon...

EDIT - Darren Young and Ellsworth. There we go. Damn, that was hard, I had to go through the roster, lol.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
Sheamus had basically come out of nowhere to beat Cena for the title. I knew he was HHHs friend but I didn't really think he would win it that fast

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Owens will easily get more than Jinder, but as for Ambrose and Wyatt.....yeah.

Hell, Jinder having a world title reign over anyone is ridiculous. I can't think of anybody off the top of my head that I'd take Jinder over. I guess I'd rather have Jinder as champion than Stephanie McMahon...

EDIT - Darren Young and Ellsworth. There we go. Damn, that was hard, I had to go through the roster, lol.
Shit, they should have just had Ellsworth beat AJ Styles for the title at this rate. It would be only slightly worse than Jinder winning. Now, I'm hearing rumors that he's going to hold it until the Royal Rumble. These are dark times, man. Dark times.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Ivan Koloff beating Bruno Sammartino

Sammartino says that after the match ended, the crowd was in such stunned silence he thought he'd gone deaf.
The NWA belt has an extremely rich history, but this would be my best selection too. For context, the entire promotion for nearly ten years focused around managers with a loaded cast of heels constantly feeding into Sammartino to build which one could topple the hero next (a flip of mid-late 80s NWA).

While I think Moolah's run is listed consecutive, that run historically was segmented with occasional, unrecognized title changes and shadiness. Sammartino had a linear run of seven years. That is so hard to fathom these days, but that's what it is. People weren't just shocked, there were some completely breaking down in tears over this title switch.

I am not sure if it was for the title or not (not good with Japanese title history), but Vader coming in his first night in Japan and completely squashing Inoki under two minutes, who by all accounts was treated like a God by fans, has to be up there if for a belt. Fans were literally rioting and lighting their chairs on fire trying to throw them in the ring. I also see that Mikey Whipwreck gets an ECW world title associated with his name.

Reactions: Kowalski's Killer

·
Banned
724 Posts
It's really sad that Jinder now has as many world title reigns as Ambrose, Owens, and Wyatt...wtf WWE -__-
Those 3 guys are nothing special and have exactly ZERO mainstream appeal. They've been heavily featured the last several years while the product has taken a nosedive. To act like they are entitled to more title reigns is comical.

Reactions: jpickens

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me it's always going to be Backlund. I talked about it on the show how much I was surprised by it and at the time hated it.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
:deanfpalm

Two Triple H favourites who are like 30 years old? More obvious than surprising. You might as well throw Rollins, Balor and Owens on there while you're at it.
Rollins, Balor and Owens are real favourites with top of the line pushes that reflect their status as main eventers, Bray and Ambrose are not. I thought they'd never win it. I would've expected Jinder to get a super push more than I would them, precisely because the way WWE was going when Ambrose won the title, it felt like their sole function as a company was to piss me off. Besides, this Jinder thing would feel far more surprising than it already is had they never put belts on people like Swagger and Christian. And yes, I know it's the WWE Championship and it's their company title and whatnot, it's not the WHC, but essentially, it is now. Whatever belt is on SmackDown is the WHC, ever since the brand split, the Universal title is getting the holders that would've previously held the WWE title and the WWE title is getting the holders who would've previously won the WHC.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not for me. Given how horrendous the product is, and how absolutely insane Vince has been in recent years, I fully expected this scenario.

He is, however, objectively one of the worst champions ever.

I'm not a fan of him either, but his reign just started lol. Debbie downer.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts