Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know some people will be shouting at this thread and saying 'YES!!' but it's definitely something worth pondering imo.

Mic work no doubt is a very important part of professional wrestling, because more often than not, it's what makes the various feuds and matches worth watching. The match could be 5-stars but if it isn't efficiently hyped, it won't be as interesting. Now, in terms of mic workers, and this includes their charisma, it is very subjective. Everyone has their own opinion as to who is the best in the business. However, there are some mic workers that have almost transcended that because of the quality of their work. CM Punk would be the latest example and a worthy one considering this forum. However, after reading a comment and replying to it I found myself thinking, how can we truly rank mic workers seeing as there are so many different types of mic workers in the business. I was responding to a comment by Samee :) where he/she used Jake 'The Snake' Roberts and Mick Foley in comparison to The Rock. Now all of them are great mic workers, but one thing I realised is that they are all completely different mic workers.

The Rock is simply 'electrifying'. There is no doubt about that. That X-factor he has is something nobody has been able to reach. I would argue that Chris Jericho for example, has come close, and maybe even Hulk Hogan, who although wasn't imo brilliant, knew how to get the crowd going, much like The Rock does. It's very energetic and will always get a reaction. Guys like John Cena and The Miz emulate this today, but as of now, they have not quite reached that X-factor that The Rock did when doing this type of mic work. The Rock evolved this type of mic work into something more, but I will argue that guys like Cena and Miz have the talent to get close to The Rock's level. It all depends on whether they have that aura that The Rock created. We will only know from the kids in the audience imo.

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts was a more sinister mic worker. His delivery was always apot on, and he knew exactly how to portray himself in every feud. The method like I mentioned is more of a sinister and tactical approach rather than energetic. I would say that in terms of today's mic workers, CM Punk is a very good comparison to make. He plays this sort of role to perfection, especially when he's trying to put over that whole 'cult leader' gimmick that he portrays. Chris Jericho's latest heel work is also a great example of this. I'll also include guys like The Undertaker and Randy Orton. Neither are brilliant mic workers, but use this method while on the mic. They know they aren't brilliant mic workers so like Jake Roberts did, they use their promos to convince the audience of their character. They are the most believeable. Of course, this works better with heels than faces imo. You can at least tell with Orton that Jake 'The Snake' Roberts was a huge influence on him.

Mick Foley, I would argue worked the mic in a more 'schizophrenic' type manner. Of course, this was more obvious in his Mankind character. Foley imo can work both the energetic and the sinister side very well and this kind of mic work always works better with unique characters, but much like the other 2, it takes a good mic worker to pull it off. I can only describe this mic work as schizophrenic because in Foley's case, it felt like sometimes when he was portraying Mankind as a heel, his mic work wasn't controlled, but in reality, that was the most controlled part about it, if you get what I'm saying. This type of mic work is very gimmick-oriented and works with very unique gimmicks. I'd include the orginial Doink the Clown (Matt Borne) in this category. Like Foley, he played on this type of mic work beautifully. Another superstar I could include is Goldust, particularly in his days as 'The Artist formerly known as..' gimmick. These days, his little brother 'Dashing' Cody Rhodes seems to be basing his mic work on guys such as Mick Foley and Matt Borne.

What I'm trying to say is, whether it's past or present, there are so many different types of mic workers and because of this, as well as the fact that the impression we all get from the mic work of superstars is subjective, can we truly say who is truly the best mic worker in WWE, whether it be in present or of all time?

In some cases, I could say who is good on the mic, and who is better than some on the mic, but when it comes to the top mic workers, the elite, if they are completely different mic workers, is it really possible to say, that guy is better than the other guy?

I apologize for rambling on, especially if I've confused you because I haven't been coherent enough, but please take the time to read this and reply if you have your particular opinion. How do you rank mic workers for example.

· Anti-Hero
11,509 Posts
It is certainly difficult to rank wrestlers based on mic skills, true. Like any other list or ranking on these forums it would be entirely subjective. Each person has their own tastes. However there most certainly are some who stand out. Some lists will have the same names but different rankings, other lists will have names of guys that you or I may think are absurd.
The ability to work the stick is essential to any truly successful superstar with only a few exceptions. Goldberg for example was best when he never said a word. The best guys though can really talk people into the building hyping for a big match-up.
I've attempted to rank the best stickmen in the biz on other forums before. One thing that kills me is that I seem to be the only one who puts Dusty Rhodes on my list.
Dusty Rhodes is the greatest talker that the wrestling industry has ever seen. Bar none. Am I getting old or what. Nobody else remembers how great the American Dream was?
Other greats you've already mentioned, Roberts, Jericho, Punk, the Rock etc.
Like I said though, Its all subjective.

· Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is certainly difficult to rank wrestlers based on mic skills, true. Like any other list or ranking on these forums it would be entirely subjective. Each person has their own tastes. However there most certainly are some who stand out. Some lists will have the same names but different rankings, other lists will have names of guys that you or I may think are absurd.
The ability to work the stick is essential to any truly successful superstar with only a few exceptions. Goldberg for example was best when he never said a word. The best guys though can really talk people into the building hyping for a big match-up.
I've attempted to rank the best stickmen in the biz on other forums before. One thing that kills me is that I seem to be the only one who puts Dusty Rhodes on my list.
Dusty Rhodes is the greatest talker that the wrestling industry has ever seen. Bar none. Am I getting old or what. Nobody else remembers how great the American Dream was?
Other greats you've already mentioned, Roberts, Jericho, Punk, the Rock etc.
Like I said though, Its all subjective.
Well I don't want to make you feel old but because I was born in 1992, I really didn't get to witness Dusty's mic work. And tbh, the only reason I know about Jack 'The Snake' Roberts and Doink is because I decided to watch some classic WWF when I was still little. I haven't got as far back as Dusty Rhodes' heyday. What I will say though is that family truly seems to have the gift of the gab. I can't help feeling that all 3 will be in the top mic workers of all time list, whatever rank by the time cody's career finishes.

· Premium Member
83,359 Posts
Of course it's possible because it's your own opinion and it's totally subjective. Passing any rankings on as fact though would be stupid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.