Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,811 Posts
I can't see wrestlers thinking that these days.
I disagree.

- Most wrestlers prefer house shows (MSG is exclusive to house shows)
- House shows are more intimate and less restrictions than tv
- MSG has an aura and history
- Wrestlemania is for celebrities and part-timers. It's just a brand resting on its laurels. There hasn't been iconic moments since Wrestlemania XXX; prior to that the last iconic moments involve Mania XV with HBK-Undertaker

·
Banned
3,278 Posts
I actually walked past MSG after going to the gym, and my heart started racing like a rabbit because I was thinking what if I did a show here. trust me as a wrestler I'd rather work MSG over a Wrestlemania that isn't memorable or doesn't have a Wrestlemania feel to it and just has the name to it.

·
Registered
14,328 Posts
They don't call it "The World's Most Famous Arena" for nothing.

Everyone and their mother and their mother's favorite celebrity gets to wrestle at Wrestlemania, the same can't really be said about The Garden, especially these days. Main eventing Wrestlemania might be a different story, but I dunno The Garden just has an aura, even sitting in the audience you can feel it... unless you're at a Knicks game :p There's just so much God damn history.

All that said... there's something to be said about walking out in front of 80,000 screaming fans.

In a way it's apples and oranges :draper2

·
Likes wrestling....
11,060 Posts
wow just wow.....

Lets be clear here. To just about every ordinary American "MSG in 2017" means very little.....very....very ....little. This is true today and it was back then until WM 3.

I can understand somewhat, that until WM 3 some wrestlers might have thought wrestling at MSG was the pinnacle. But seriously was Mike Sharpe at the height of the sport because he wrestled one of four jobber vs jobber matches at MSG?

MSG cards honestly sucked.....Fact. Wreslters might have thought they "made it" when they went there but I can honestly say I have heard more wrestlers say they preferred Florida or Saint Louis.

The monthly MSG cards might have had two or three real competitive matches, but the rest were squashes, and jobber vs jobber. So sorry you northeastern fans had no clue what weekly booking could mean for your territory.

However WrestleMania means everything.

·
Guitar tech for Elias
875 Posts
Whether it's wrestling, basketball, or any other event, most athletes get excited about performing in that building. They always consider it a big deal. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say wrestlers consider it more important than mania though, that seems like a stretch.

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
I know wrestlers didn't view the early wrestlemanias as anything more than another show. Wrestlers today view it as the Superbowl of pro wrestling and prepare the bodies and their characters all year just for that one night.

Seth Rollins 24 episode on the network gives you a great example of this. He was devastated at missing mania and can barely muster enough enthusiasm to watch the show from his corporate box seats.

- Wrestlemania is for celebrities and part-timers. It's just a brand resting on its laurels. There hasn't been iconic moments since Wrestlemania XXX; prior to that the last iconic moments involve Mania XV with HBK-Undertaker
Not sure what you define iconic moments as but that Rousey/rock/HHH/Steph made sports center news, Shane's jump off cell, Charlottes dive off top rope to the floor, Rollins cash in, Orton rko on Rollins, undertaker leaving his gear in the ring etc will be replayed clips for years to come.

As someone who has been attended live wrestlemanias for well over a decade now wwe certainly are not resting on their laurels. The show gets bigger each year in terms of overall experience. I remember wrestlemania 22 in allstate in Chicago and this year had Hof, raw, nxt and SD in a bigger venue. Mania 24 was big but the scale and scope of 33 in the same venue blew it away. 24 had Axxess in universal on a small scale, it was gigantic this year with 10 times more people in the shop alone.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I know wrestlers didn't view the early wrestlemanias as anything more than another show. Wrestlers today view it as the Superbowl of pro wrestling and prepare the bodies and their characters all year just for that one night.

Seth Rollins 24 episode on the network gives you a great example of this. He was devastated at missing mania and can barely muster enough enthusiasm to watch the show from his corporate box seats.

Not sure what you define iconic moments as but that Rousey/rock/HHH/Steph made sports center news, Shane's jump off cell, Charlottes dive off top rope to the floor, Rollins cash in, Orton rko on Rollins, undertaker leaving his gear in the ring etc will be replayed clips for years to come.
Rollins cash-in is the only worthwhile moment on that list.

Taker's thing was ok, but almost a bit downplayed. And it came after such a shit match. The moment didn't feel real good.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
Stop the bollocks, WM > MSG these days, all day, every day, twice on Sunday.

BUT, before the Mania era in the mid 80s, yes MSG was often cited as THE place for wrestling and something the NWA always lamented. Thin gis, MSG was the center of wrestling and boxing for much of teh 20th century. It wasnt till the end of the 70s that boxing moved beyond it and by the late 90s, the WWE and wrestling as a whole had moved beyond it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts