Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel ADR's same promo formula is what's keeping him down,He has ring skills/the look/can actually do promos(look up his mexico ones)so I blame creative and his character can do OK But he ain't getting over with crowd heat cause of the same promos that make his character stale!!

When he first came in he got pretty good heat in his first TV match and when he took out Mysterio/Matt Hardy&Christian..But after that he instantly became stale!

They should have just used his Dos Caras Jr character or repackage ADR to write him off and put him under a mask to be pretty much the same character as Dos Caras But with a new name and make him a mid-carder heel to counter babyface masked Mysterio&Sin Cara!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YU5n39t0EDE

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
They should either use his wealth in storyline or not have it part of his character. The problem is that he has this character,but other than his car he barely shows it.

Ring work is pretty damn good though.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
I read a report (take if with a grain of salt, of course) that the WWE thinks ADR is injury prone like Mr Kennedy. If it's true, then it may be too late.

·
I know, it's been a while.
3,272 Posts
Wow, i've ever seen del rio in the old videos before.
Hes pretty damn good!
Would love to see him pull off moves like that in the WWE.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Let's just hope he's not injured again because he could be a valuable top heel main eventer if WWE just uses him correctly. They have pushed him without actually putting any consistent depth into the push so of course the audience isn't going to have much attachment. He has a good look, good size, good in the ring with loads of potential and a wider range for his character. The right time to push him would have been now because Smackdown doesn't really have a top top heel at the moment. However, if he gets injured he'll be replaced by Cody Rhodes as he's going to be the top heel on Smackdown sooner or later. I can see Wade Barrett being booked strongly for the first month or two he returns but overall WWE values Rhodes much higher than Barrett so people are getting there hopes up if they think ADR's injury is an open opportunity for Barrett.

·
Banned
990 Posts
Honestly I think he should turn Face

The guy worked as a Face in Mexico for 10 years and was insanely popular. He was the first in his family to turn heel.

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
I read a report (take if with a grain of salt, of course) that the WWE thinks ADR is injury prone like Mr Kennedy. If it's true, then it may be too late.
Read this too and I agree. I think ADR will be limited for a long time.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
It is not too late for ADR, but I don't think that he can keep from being stale with what he is currently doing.

I knew that ADR and Ricardo could wrestle, I just had no idea that ADR used high moves before he went to WWE.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
It wouldn't bother me if he was gone... Del Rio does absolutely NOTHING to excite me. And it's not like his character hasn't worked in the past, it worked out great for the Million Dollar man and JBL as an example. I just find him incredibly boring, and I'm a fan of Sheamus, but the thought of his vs Del Rio is a big yawn for me.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I'm was initially not crazy about this guy, he was pushed too fast and his gimmick and promo's are so generic that he's almost like a heel version of Cena, but I'll admit he's a good worker and he's probably only following what Vince and the writers tell him to... and why should he break script? this guy is always thrust in the spotlight.

The Sheamus skit on Smackdown was hilarious though, the WWE are simply way too strict with people following scripts it seems, I know these guy's get disciplined whenever they try to be creative, but creativity is always the mark of a good era in wrestling.

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
It wouldn't bother me if he was gone... Del Rio does absolutely NOTHING to excite me. And it's not like his character hasn't worked in the past, it worked out great for the Million Dollar man and JBL as an example. I just find him incredibly boring, and I'm a fan of Sheamus, but the thought of his vs Del Rio is a big yawn for me.
Apples and oranges, or rather apples and horse manure. Where Dibiase and JBL used their wealth to leverage their position in the company and to incite hatred in the fans, ADR drives around in rented vehicles and wears fancy scarves.

The only indication of his wealth is that he employees a ring announcer. He should be paying referees and wrestlers to do his dirty work, not hoping off the plane and heading over to Hertz.

ADR's character is severely flawed, one-dimensional, and poorly executed. A real shame, because the man has talent.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
Apples and oranges, or rather apples and horse manure. Where Dibiase and JBL used their wealth to leverage their position in the company and to incite hatred in the fans, ADR drives around in rented vehicles and wears fancy scarves.

The only indication of his wealth is that he employees a ring announcer. He should be paying referees and wrestlers to do his dirty work, not hoping off the plane and heading over to Hertz.

ADR's character is severely flawed, one-dimensional, and poorly executed. A real shame, because the man has talent.
Indeed. It's a shame. I'm certain that the problem is Vince McMahon. He came up with this character, and it's doubtless him who is not allowing to mature or develop. Del Rio could be a lively main event fixture on Smackdown but WWE refuses to utilize even a shred of his characteristics to advance a storyline. Consequently, we're nearing the two-year mark of his existence on WWE television and he's still just barely connecting with their audience. It is maddening that such an obvious, transparent oversight can continue to persist while Vince blindly just barks, "Well, we'll just push the guy 'till they get it!" The problem, Vince, is that you should be pushing him in a way that makes his character matter in the WWE landscape. Instead, he's given nothing of note to do but smile and say that he'll be the next World Champion.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,306 Posts
They gave him a billionaire gimmick without explaining how he made the money or ever showing him using the money. Does he purchase rematches and match stipulations? Does he bribe and threaten people into making his matches handicap matches? Does he have a posse to protect him, to ambush his rivals, to work as lumberjacks in his matches? Does he use weapons and pay refs to look the other way? Does he purchase fast counts? Does he put bounties on people? No. He doesn't do any of that. Then why does he have a billionaire gimmick if he isn't gonna spend some goddamned money?

ADR's "character" right now is a billionaire who never spends money. HOW COMPELLING!

8*D

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
ADR has a great look and he can go in the ring. Clearly the WWE gave him a generous contract. He won the Rumble, MITB and he is a two time champion. All evidence suggests he's a true professional and he does his job to the best of his ability. It's a shame that he comes across as someone with no personality. I suspect he'll shine once he's given an opportunity to be himself.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Worst wrestler in the USA. I have seen people at $5 indy shows better than him.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Indeed. It's a shame. I'm certain that the problem is Vince McMahon. He came up with this character, and it's doubtless him who is not allowing to mature or develop. Del Rio could be a lively main event fixture on Smackdown but WWE refuses to utilize even a shred of his characteristics to advance a storyline. Consequently, we're nearing the two-year mark of his existence on WWE television and he's still just barely connecting with their audience. It is maddening that such an obvious, transparent oversight can continue to persist while Vince blindly just barks, "Well, we'll just push the guy 'till they get it!" The problem, Vince, is that you should be pushing him in a way that makes his character matter in the WWE landscape. Instead, he's given nothing of note to do but smile and say that he'll be the next World Champion.
Maybe Vince thinks that in not advancing the character at all and having ADR consistently spout the same destiny drivel again and again that that will bring him heat and make people dislike him... or am I reading too much into it?

I love ADR I just wish that they gave him some human qualities. It's nice to see him caring a bit more about Rodriguez lately but it needs to be clearer. Maybe hire a Mexican diva to valet and have something happen to her which emotionally affects Del Rio. Give him some motivation outside of winning a title.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts