Wrestling Forum banner

Is it possible to rank WWE "wrestlers" by moveset ?

2361 Views 23 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Samee
More and more people complain about the limited moveset of WWE "wrestlers". I propose that we try to create a list with the different moves of the WWE entertainers. With this limit we will be able to watch what WWE entertainers can do.

Wrestler name :
Complete moveset :
Main moves (the most used ones) :
Finishers :
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Banned
5,112 Posts
I've learned over the past couple of years that people who complain about limited movesets are complete morons. A lot of the most popular wrestlers of all time have limited movesets. It doesn't matter how many different moves you use. What matters is if you have a consistent style that fits with your character. What matters is if the crowd is into your match. What matters is if you're telling a fucking story! All this moaning about Cena's 'five moves of doom' is a load of retarded bullshit.

· Banned
201 Posts
Re: Is it possible to rank WWE wrestlers by moveset ?

Wrestler name : Jonathan Anthony Felix Cena Jr
Complete moveset : suplex. Superplex. Sleeperhold. Headlock. Clothesline. Flying shoulder charge abdominal stretch. Thesz press
Main moves (the must used ones) : five knuckle shuffle. Prototype
Finishers : AA and STFU

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've learned over the past couple of years that people who complain about limited movesets are complete morons. A lot of the most popular wrestlers of all time have limited movesets. It doesn't matter how many different moves you use. What matters is if you have a consistent style that fits with your character. What matters is if the crowd is into your match. What matters is if you're telling a fucking story! All this moaning about Cena's 'five moves of doom' is a load of retarded bullshit.
WWE doesn't tell long storylines anymore and their repetitive matches become more and more dull.

I understand you like WWE, John Cena or Vince but for many people WWE is declining. The booking is atrocious and having to use surprises and old stars to regain popularity and in order to heat the fans is more and more like TNA.

I believe that the lack of innovation, the limited movesets and the WWE refusal to be wrestling don't help (yes WWE officially call wrestlers entertainers now). Thanks for calling people morons, it shows what you are.

· HEADBANGA
27,535 Posts
Nah, some of the guys has some the best moveset but you can't rand everyone accordingly because only the chosen few get to show off some of their moveset depending on the card. For some reason mid-card guys, for the most part have better movesets than main eventers and for some odd reason when they move up the card their moveset diminished (to protect them from injury i suppose).

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whhat I don't understand is the 5 moves limit. Most WWE entertainer seems to be limited to 5 signature moves and I don't understand completly how having more than 5 moves can become dangerous and provoke injuries. It's like the lack of chain-wrestling.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Raven said in a shoot, its better to learn 5 moves and execute them correctly, then 50 and do each one sloppily, also as the above poster mentioned, you do the same moves over, and over again to train the audience to pop for them. Much like Michael Cole when he answers an email, just the sound of the computer gets a reaction.

· Registered
7,682 Posts
just because wwe wrestlers dont use the same 15 moves every match like your typical indy wrestler does'nt mean they dont have alot of moves

look at punk for example some times he uses the anaconda vice sometimes he doesn't he brought out the koji clutch the other week never did it before in wwe

punk used to do falcon arrow and his hammer lock close line in wwe especially during his ecw run

he can still do them but chooses to not do it every match

so when he does do these moves again they feel fresh and new

GTS
Anaconda Vice
Koji Clutch
Falcon Arrow
Running Knee/Bulldog Combo
Snap power slam
Suicide Dive
Head Kick
Welcome To Chicago Back Breaker
Springboard Closeline

· Registered
7,766 Posts
I don't think wrestlers in other promotion are any better.

They have so many signature moves, They end up peforming very one of those signature moves in a single match.
then start hitting combinations of those moves, so the combinations themselves become a signature move.

5 move limit ?

Orton (Scoop slam, DDT with foe hanging on the 2nd rope, Angle slam, Thesz press, Clothesline, Knee drop, Inverted headlock backbreaker)

Cena (Shoulder block, Top rope leg drop bulldog, 5 knuckle shuffle, Fisherman suplex, One handed bulldog, Hip toss, Side slam)

· Registered
6,098 Posts
Regardless of what moves are in somebody's moveset, pretty much everybody punch's to different regions, Kicks to different regions, irish whips into ropes/objects, clotheslines, bounces heads off turnbuckles/steps, backbody drops etc etc.

It's not about what moves are in the set but their use of them. I always loved Lesnar's moveset but his match VS Goldberg showed poor usage of good moves.
also as the above poster mentioned, you do the same moves over, and over again to train the audience to pop for them. Much like Michael Cole when he answers an email, just the sound of the computer gets a reaction.
Exactly. Think about when fans come and go, they need a sense of familarity so they can get back into the program. If someone didn't watch WWE since 2002, they'd mark out when they see The Rock Bottom or The Pedigree because they remember it.

Younger fans love the routines because it's familiar to them. They want to feel a part of it.

It's like when Justin Gabriel used to be in a match, I used to sit up when he went near the turnbuckle because you knew what was coming next. Fans enjoy that.

The WWE is a business and the "five moves of doom" that every big wrestler had, is damn good for business.
(And yes, every big guy had them. Rock, Austin, Hogan, Taker, HHH etc etc. You don't get big without familiarity).

· Banned
266 Posts
People who hate on the 'WWE Style' simply because it 'limits movesets' are morons in my eyes. Whether or not you are in that group you can decide.
So,people who watch wrestling for WRESTLING instead for talking are morons?

Hmmmmmmmm..........the words i'm looking for are..............oh yeah............TAAAAAAAAARD BOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· You're better than that Cole.
3,991 Posts
If you are a real die hard WRESTLING Fan, and I mean you enjoy stuff like ROH and NJPW etc. where mostly majority IS in fact based on pure, nonstop wrestling then you are watching the wrong product if you still watching WWE. The people who complain about WWE’s style of wrestling is more from the hardcore wrestling fans.

That’s why I always scratch my head when I see comments like “I watch wrestling for wrestling” and they watching a product like the WWE. WWE is no doubt a wrestling company overall in the end but Vince’s vision of his product is wanted it to be accepted as a mainstream Hollywood type of programming, he publicly let us know that for years now that he is in the ENTERTAINMENT business. In the WWE you got to have the look, the charisma, the mic skills, the character, the personality, the attitude, being able to tell a story in the ring, being over with the crowd, the aura of a “superstar” and be such a larger then life athlete.

In the WWE you got to have a variety of things other then being a good wrestler and that’s why I don’t care for a Dolph Ziggler or Daniel Bryan. (I enjoy their wrestling don't get me wrong but that doesn't mean I want them push to my main event scene with other things they currently lack IMO)

That’s why a Hulk Hogan/Stone Cold Steve Austin or Jerry Lawler can do a simple punch or kick throughout the whole match with having the fans go absolutely nuts and hang on each action they do when they are very limited.

Most of the time Daniel Bryan fans actually cringe worth at some of the stuff he doing now since Bryan has to work under the WWE style so no it's not possible to rank a wrestler by their moveset in WWE.

· Banned
266 Posts
Jerry Lawler could only punch, kick and piledrive and he's pretty much country miles better at wrestling than everyone in today's roster.
Maybe 30 years ago.Today,put him (in his prime) in a match with an incredible athlete with amazing wrestling skills and physique like Davey Richards and he's just a talentless fatso with no wrestling skills whatsoever who can only punch,kick and do a piledriver.Put that match in front of a sane human being and he will shit all over Lawler.And with a good reason,cause all he can fuckin do is a punch,kick and a piledriver,any fatso with heavy case of Down syndrome could do that.And please don't give me that "oh,but he tells stories" shit.Oh yeah,he tells a fuckin Song of Ilium with his 3 moves and incredibly crappy athleticism (again,im talking about Lawler in his prime).If im gonna watch grown man fake fighting it better be fuckin impressive.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,189 Posts
The people who complain about movesets, must spend more time playing wrestling videogames than they do watching wrestling shows.

Modern companies do kinda need to please this type of fan though.

· Celestial Messiah
38,520 Posts
Maybe 30 years ago.Today,put him (in his prime) in a match with an incredible athlete with amazing wrestling skills and physique like Davey Richards and he's just a talentless fatso with no wrestling skills whatsoever who can only punch,kick and do a piledriver.Put that match in front of a sane human being and he will shit all over Lawler.And with a good reason,cause all he can fuckin do is a punch,kick and a piledriver,any fatso with heavy case of Down syndrome could do that.And please don't give me that "oh,but he tells stories" shit.Oh yeah,he tells a fuckin Song of Ilium with his 3 moves and incredibly crappy athleticism (again,im talking about Lawler in his prime).If im gonna watch grown man fake fighting it better be fuckin impressive.
Grumpy bear :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.