Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now when I was younger, during the Attitude Era, I didn't really watch WWF that much since I was only 8, but my whenever I was with my older cousins on a Monday night they would watch it and they wouldn't put anything else on TV for that night so I was kinda forced to watch it with them so I grew up with the Attitude Era.

I notice that even today, when people who don't watch wrestling talk about WWE they still, first of all,

1) Call it WWF
2) Seem to think that it's nothing but chair shots and interferences.

That obviously isn't the case anymore for neither points but I still find it funny that other people still think of wrestling this way.

Am I the only one who sees this?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I'm sure some do because that is when the WWE was at it's peak in popularity, thus it's what most people know it for.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I notice that even today, when people who don't watch wrestling talk about WWE they still, first of all,

1) Call it WWF

That's how non-wrestling fans are always gonna see the WWE. It has nothing to do with the Attitude Era, that's just how people see wrestling period.

Every mention of pro wrestling on TV shows they mention steel chairs and steel cage matches.

That's not because of the Attitude Era at all.

·
Premium Member
44,213 Posts
Well it was SOOOOOOOO much better back then! Its easy to see why people would remember it more for that as opposed to what we've seen over the last couple of years.

However, WWE needs to move past the Attitude Era and evolve. That was one of their problems for years is that they kept trying to relive the success of the Attitude Era & it just didn't work. Sex, Cursing, & Violence can make for bad shows too. If the writing is bad, the show will suck. Their writing went through lengthy periods of sucking long before they went PG.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
The WWF stuff definitely gets me.

Random person hears me talking about WWE with someone or sees me posting on this forum and asks: "You still watch WWF?"

Me: WWF? Oh, you mean WWE.

Random: The shit's called WWE now?

Me: It's been that way for nearly 10 YEARS now.

Random: Oh, damn.

Then I start telling them how Edge, Triple H, Jericho and a few of the AE dudes they that remember are still around and how their careers changed/took off/whatever. Said person then hits me with the confused "Isn't that shit fake?" line of questioning. Finally, I break it down to them and said person is once again interested, but is too 'cool' to embrace being a fan or consider at least part-time watching again.

I'm sure everyone here understands.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
The WWF stuff definitely gets me.

Random person hears me talking about WWE with someone or sees me posting on this forum and asks: "You still watch WWF?"

Me: WWF? Oh, you mean WWE.

Random: The shit's called WWE now?

Me: It's been that way for nearly 10 YEARS now.

Random: Oh, damn.

Then I start telling them how Edge, Triple H, Jericho and a few of the AE dudes they that remember are still around and how their careers changed/took off/whatever. Said person then hits me with the confused "Isn't that shit fake?" line of questioning. Finally, I break it down to them and said person is once again interested, but is too 'cool' to embrace being a fan or consider at least part-time watching again.

I'm sure everyone here understands.
That sounds way too familiar. *SIGH*

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Now when I was younger, during the Attitude Era, I didn't really watch WWF that much since I was only 8, but my whenever I was with my older cousins on a Monday night they would watch it and they wouldn't put anything else on TV for that night so I was kinda forced to watch it with them so I grew up with the Attitude Era.

1) Call it WWF

That obviously isn't the case anymore for neither points but I still find it funny that other people still think of wrestling this way.

Am I the only one who sees this?
Clearly not, even WWE seem to recognise that fact which is large part of the reason for the recent 'Stand Up For WWE' segments.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts