Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
A stanning today 💋
9,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enlighten me.

I see the term being thrown around and loosely at that. I don't think there is a difference between x-pac/go away heat or whatever tf and "real" heat and it's just semantics created by "smart" fans who think they are above being worked and don't want to admit it when a wrestler (that they hate) manages to get a strong reaction from them.

Pro wrestling is a drama and dramas are meant to provoke a reaction. And since the purpose of a drama is to inspire a reaction, then by proxy it wouldn't matter what "type" of heat that wrestler was getting. It's something that is tangible and because it's tangible, it can be manipulated to benefit the character and the story at large.

I guess that's where the issue lies, in how I regard wrestling? Since I view it as a drama the logic would be "heat is heat". So when I see people on here say Jinder Mahal, Roman Reigns, Eva Marie, etc aren't getting the "right" kind of heat I'm like... what? WWE deliberately plays up to their heat so how would that not be the desired result for them?

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Yeah, it's real. But WWE can use that to their advantage.

The only heat WWE can't use is "you suck so bad that I no longer watch the product", or "I'm going away" heat.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah, it's real. But WWE can use that to their advantage.

The only heat WWE can't use is "you suck so bad that I no longer watch the product", or "I'm going away" heat.
Both of those kinds of heat go hand in hand usually, but I agree nontheless.

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
The difference between "go away" heat and real heat is money.

Go away heat results from the fact that the fans legitimately do not want to see that individual on their TV, especially in a prominent position. Notable examples of this are X Pac, Roman Reigns, and Jinder Mahal.

Real heat is where you love to hate the individual and want to see him get his ass beat, and are willing to pay money to do so.

The former pushes fans away from the product, while the latter draws them in and generates interest/money.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts

Go away heat results from the fact that the fans legitimately do not want to see that individual on their TV, especially in a prominent position. Notable examples of this are X Pac, Roman Reigns, and Jinder Mahal.

Real heat is where you love to hate the individual and want to see him get his ass beat, and are willing to pay money to do so.

The former pushes fans away from the product, while the latter draws them in and generates interest/money.
Add Stephanie McMahon to the list as well.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts

Using that logic there has been nobody in the last eight years(at least) who has garnered "real" heat because there has been stark decline in interest in the product and the product actually drawing money as opposed to advertising and TV contracts. It seems kind of pointless to single people out when literally nobody has been able to achieve interest or money by garnering what you believe "real" heat is.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

I agree with you, but I also think the two bolded kind of go hand in hand. I'm sure a ton of people like watching Roman get his ass beat. Those that are still watching that is.

·
A stanning today 💋
9,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

We don't have access to most of WWE's finances so we don't really know how stars perform individually or how much money they're racking in. So how would one be able to come to that conclusion or make a distinction if they don't have the evidence to back it up?

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
Using that logic there has been nobody in the last eight years(at least) who has garnered "real" heat because there has been stark decline in interest in the product and the product actually drawing money as opposed to advertising and TV contracts. It seems kind of pointless to single people out when literally nobody has been able to achieve interest or money by garnering what you believe "real" heat is.
All of that assumes that they're put in a position to draw. Kevin Owens has been getting legitimate heel heat for a few months now, and his feuds with Y2J and Styles have generated a lot of interest from the people in attendance, but he's obviously not in a position to draw at a FOTC level.

But overall, you're right - there hasn't been a whole lot of legitimate heat in recent years. You'll mostly get either heels who get cheered, or people who get go away heat, like Roman Reigns and Jinder Mahal.

I agree with you, but I also think the two bolded kind of go hand in hand. I'm sure a ton of people like watching Roman get his ass beat. Those that are still watching that is.
Sure, but most aren't willing to pay to see it. His push has driven away far too many fans.

We don't have access to most of WWE's finances so we don't really know how stars perform individually or how much money they're racking in. So how would one be able to come to that conclusion or make a distinction if they don't have the evidence to back it up?
Sure we do. They're a public corporation, which means that they're required, by law, to disclose and report all material information.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
I would say there is, some guys you love to hate, others you just dont care, it more annoyance.

problem is, reigns isnt being booed because of storyline reasons, he didnt turn on someone or help another heel for example, its because people are sick of him.

heat is heat at the end of the day, the crowds dont really show a difference in booing, but Id say theres a difference as some heat is intended while others arnt.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
There has been a decline in raw ratings not business overall as attendance is down a bit, merch sales are up.

Two perfect examples of real heat are Mr McMahon character in 1998-2000 and the sheik in the 1970s. Both generated tons of money and set records based on that fact people wanted to see them get beat.

HHH has had real heat (2000 and early 2014) and go away heat (2003-04) in equal sums it seems

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,261 Posts
I remember when Vickie Guerrero got Hitler levels of hate from crowds

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts

You just wrapped yourself in a paradox. People love to boo Roman Reigns and watch him get beat up. People are willing to pay money to do so. People have paid money to do so. If you want something to go away, you avoid it. A person would stop watching the product if they truly didn't want to see someone. But, people want to see that person get wrecked more than they want to stop viewing.

I don't think there are classifications of "heat"; I had heard the term used for a wrestler being in trouble ("Bobby has 'heat' on him for such & such botch"). If there are, this site has no clue. @SilvasBrokenLeg, I don't think you're entirely wrong. But, people on this forum don't have what you call "go away heat" because they are still tuning in to see those [you've named] get beat up; still tuning in for the wreckage. Or at least, "Go away heat" is not a bad thing if viewers are tuning in to watch it.

"Not interested Heat" should be a term. "I'm not interested in Jinder Mahal and won't bother watching SmackDown". This in comparison to "Heat" - "I hate Jinder. I hope to see Orton or Rusev beat his ass."

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
You just wrapped yourself in a paradox. People love to boo Roman Reigns and watch him get beat up. People are willing to pay money to do so. People have paid money to do so. If you want something to go away, you avoid it. A person would stop watching the product if they truly didn't want to see someone. But, people want to see that person get wrecked more than they want to stop viewing.
They have. People have stopped watching the product in large numbers ever since the start of his push, and he's drawn very poorly at house shows over that period (he's been outdrawn by people far below him on the card.)

People are not interested in seeing him. It's the prime example of go away heat.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
All of that assumes that they're put in a position to draw. Kevin Owens has been getting legitimate heel heat for a few months now, and his feuds with Y2J and Styles have generated a lot of interest from the people in attendance, but he's obviously not in a position to draw at a FOTC level.

But overall, you're right - there hasn't been a whole lot of legitimate heat in recent years. You'll mostly get either heels who get cheered, or people who get go away heat, like Roman Reigns and Jinder Mahal.

The people in the arena(which is a measure that is declining just as the TV ratings) aren't how you draw money. Essentially the fans who are at event are people who would be there anyway the Backlash ticket sales indicate such a thing becasue the die hards and "smart" fans are usually the first to buy their tickets and they bought a majority of what was sold before matches were announced. So the inability to draw fans(who may not otherwise attend) in any measurable way is the problem and nobody is making that happen and haven't in a long while. People also rarely watch to see these heels get their comeuppance and is also an indication of their lack of ability to draw interest and in turn money.

There isn't a need to single people out it's a systemic issue that plagues the WWE and has for quite a while. Who or what is irrelevant because the WWE has stopped caring what reaction people get because few if any get the desired reaction on a consistent basis.

·
Banned
2,477 Posts
So the inability to draw fans(who may not otherwise attend) in any measurable way is the problem and nobody is making that happen and haven't in a long while.
Of course it's the problem. There are many issues with the product, including the writing, micromanagement, and storylines (or lack thereof.) But another enormous issue is the fact that the characters they're pushing into top roles lack any sort of talent or charisma, and so cannot connect with the audience. Meanwhile, the ones who do show the potential to do so, are booked as afterthoughts.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
There has been a decline in raw ratings not business overall as attendance is down a bit, merch sales are up.

Two perfect examples of real heat are Mr McMahon character in 1998-2000 and the sheik in the 1970s. Both generated tons of money and set records based on that fact people wanted to see them get beat.

HHH has had real heat (2000 and early 2014) and go away heat (2003-04) in equal sums it seems
Once things go backwards in attendance and ratings which is where heat is really important, because those are your target then people are no longer garnering useful heat because people aren't interested in the product live or televised. Merchandise has nothing to do with heat. if it did Reigns wouldn't be moving the amounts or merch he has over the last three years because.

I'm not saying that go away heat isn't a thing just that the definition of real heat is invalid because there is a significant drop in overall interest in the product over the last decade and no heel is hated enough for people to want to see them get their ass kicked. The only people the current crop of fans want to see lose are the ones who are garnering the go away heat. The Miz is a heel and people complain when he loses and when his booking isn't great so there goes his ability as a heel to draw interest in him losing or even truly draw the ire of fans in anyway at all and therein lies the problem.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Of course it ain't real.

Heat is heat. The only bad reaction you can get is silence.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts