Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Yes the title is clickbait, New Japan is more than fine and on the rise last I heard but how much better could they be doing if Naito had gone over Okada at Wrestle Kingdom?

Imo, New Japan is facing some threats though. For one, Okada and his reign are stale and I think there's a residue from him going over the most popular wrestler with the most culturally relevant character in the company. For two, the streaming site sucks. I'm probably gonna cancel it because at this point the stream is just so spotty when it comes to archived footage. It's not worth it. For three, Okada isn't the only one who feels stale. I feel like NJPW really needs to flip shit on its head as far as its world order goes. When Okada went from being a young lion to an exciting rival to Tanahashi was when they really kickstarted this whole shebang. That was 6 years ago, I feel like now is about time for another earthquake of that magnitude.

Point is, Naito should have won at Wrestle Kingdom and now New Japan is on life support (lol did I really have to edit this to make the sarcasm clear :naito)

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
As a casual fan I've noticed a complete stagnation. Jericho and Rey coming in is great and this bullet club story is fantastic but okadas reign is starting to reach Lesnar length for me. I dunno who he drops to but he needs to drop it soon

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Let Kenny beat him at Dominion and it'll be fine.

Reactions: jpickens

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
AJPW beating NJPW's average attendance by 150 on each show due to the Championship Carnival in April, a typically slow month for NJPW??? No way!

:naito

No, NJPW is not on life support. Like did you not see Night 2 of Dontaku? All the things set up should've shut up any "NJPW is stagnant" comments but evidently not.

·
STARRRMAKER
464 Posts
The real Ace continues to shine...

Reactions: jpickens

·
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AJPW beating NJPW's average attendance by 150 on each show due to the Championship Carnival in April, a typically slow month for NJPW??? No way!

:naito

No, NJPW is not on life support. Like did you not see Night 2 of Dontaku? All the things set up should've shut up any "NJPW is stagnant" comments but evidently not.
1. I was being sarcastic when I said it was on life support. Should've been obvious after my opening line

2. Champion Carnival is up a lot from last year :naito how many of those tickets are people who are tired of what NJPW is offering?

3. What about Dontaku night 3 was so amazing that it would shut anybody up? Jericho is cool but he's a semi-retired attraction. Ishimori jumping ship has some interesting implications for a very stagnant junior division but he's still just one man. In the grand scheme of things, no, I'm not very impressed right now

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nah, Naito winning at WK would probably have been a bad move. The Bullet Club Civil War storyline would have dominated much of his reign up until this point, not giving it the spotlight that it really deserves. If they're going to crown him as a/the star, they need to make it the focus, and doing that in January would have detracted from the moment.

·
SLAVE.
3,384 Posts
Personally I have zero interest in the currently product at all. It isn't just Okada, he plays a huge part, but it feels like there are only five people actually wrestling for New Japan and so we are just seeing the same matches over and over again which seems inexcusable given they run on a tour schedule and not the insane schedule something like WWE uses.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I think making the ppvs two day events with a couple of good match-ups as opposed to one monster must see event has killed NJPW a bit. I realize they're likely making more money this way but since they started doing this a year or two ago, I've stopped watching quite a bit of their shows and often just catch the day 2 event because that's the one that actually matters.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
Comparing NJPW house shows to AJPW biggest tournament? That doesn't seem fair

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
^^ I don't see how those two are connected. All Japan is quite obviously growing and with the inclusion of Marufuji's return to All Japan after all these years, Shingo and Kento Miyahara, they are going to get a good attendance. But that growth has very little to do with New Japan. Its very easy to follow both shows without impacting the other.

As for your question, no he isn't. Gedo can be lazy at times with some aspects of the roster and everything is in a loop until Dominion but that's it. It's not been terrible, just not nothing new has happened. This happened last year with nothing is really happening until the BOSJ and Dominion. This time period is their WWE'S December.

·
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Comparing NJPW house shows to AJPW biggest tournament? That doesn't seem fair
I wouldn't say caling them "house shows" is fair. The relationship between WWE's tv shows and what they call house shows is a different dynamic from NJPW's road shows, which aren't supplemented by "more important" televised events. The road shows are IT. They are canon, and they are where you have to go if you want to see those stars. More akin to weekly tv than a house show, if anything.

But anyway, look at what NJPW is working with and you don't get the sense that things should be more entertaining in general?

·
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ I don't see how those two are connected. All Japan is quite obviously growing and with the inclusion of Marufuji's return to All Japan after all these years, Shingo and Kento Miyahara, they are going to get a good attendance. But that growth has very little to do with New Japan. Its very easy to follow both shows without impacting the other.

As for your question, no he isn't. Gedo can be lazy at times with some aspects of the roster and everything is in a loop until Dominion but that's it. It's not been terrible, just not nothing new has happened. This happened last year with nothing is really happening until the BOSJ and Dominion. This time period is their WWE'S December.
There's a big difference this time period, however. The difference being that a year ago, Okada hadn't already been champion for way too long

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
1244 - April 13 T-J vs CHAOS 5/5 Elim (Did they run the basic seating?)
1693 - April 14 Suzuki-Gun vs LIJ 5/5
1562 - April 23 Jr Tag Title
1428 - April 24 Jay White vs David Finlay

Explains it?

Edit: I shall post AJPW ones

1568 - April 25 Marufuji vs Akiyama
1605 - April 29 Miyahara vs Hino
1697 - April 30 CC Final Miyahara vs Marufuji

Very good stuff for AJPW but it's weakest shows vs strongest shows for both promotions.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I'm interested in what is happening on the midcard (Evil/Sanada vs Bucks, Taichi becoming heavyweight, Ishii getting RevPro title), but main event scene looks kinda meh. Some minor change here or there, but it feels fairly similar to last year. LiJ are entertaining as always, but aside of Evil/Sanada they are kinda spinning wheels.

And I'm not sure what can happen to spice things up. Naito can beat or lose to Jericho and long term it won't really matter either way. I can't see Omega defeating Okada. G1 will be entertaining, but once it concludes we will have Okada/X being built up for next WK. So yeah, I kinda get the point of the thread. And well it doesn't really have to be someone that gets into rivalry with Okada, something new for Naito or Omega would work wonders too.

But as long as numbers are fine thing will continue as they are. Probably 101 of wrestling.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Wow, the desperation of Naito marks these days, stooping so low as to create nonsensical clickbait threads. Get back to me when All Japan starts selling out one big venue after another, and can sell out Korakuen with a card of prelude multi-man tag matches.

·
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, the desperation of Naito marks these days, stooping so low as to create nonsensical clickbait threads. Get back to me when All Japan starts selling out one big venue after another, and can sell out Korakuen with a card of prelude multi-man tag matches.
Okada is a top 20 all time favorite of mine. Naito is not. I actually prefer SANADA to Naito.

But stale is stale

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Okada is a top 20 all time favorite of mine. Naito is not. I actually prefer SANADA to Naito.

But stale is stale
If you think Okader is stale then fine, but the framing of this thread is ridiculous and unfair, no? Fans have seen the Okada-Tanahashi feud a billion times already, I don't find it surprising that the Korakuen attendance went down for the lead-up matches to a feud that has been so overdone that New Japan had to put it on a B-show like Wrestling Dontaku. It doesn't really speak to AJPW's growth either, considering their attendance has been down elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.