Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Hiding in the shadows
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just last night, I watched PWG Eight, which overall was pretty good, with Steen coming out of the show as THE man in PWG. Steen has grown into one of the best performers in the world, unlike El Generico.

I've really hated watching him over this past year. After his feud with Steen/Corino, he's pretty much been just another guy on the card. When teamed with Steen, they were a great tag-team, but on his own, I don't think he's as good. He's a good wrestler, but it seems like time has passed him by.

He hasn't changed anything about himself in the many years he's been wrestling. He's still coming out to the same music, the same ring entrance all with the same movesets and the "underdog" in the many matches he wrestles in. Only when he returned to ROH dressed in all black, did I think he looked cool. I really thought that would be the change he needed to re-invent not only himself, but his character as well. It was not to be. I also thought he looked "dirty", is the best way I can describe his look. Watching the PWG show, his boots are really, really dirty. Take a closer look at the white and you'll see what I mean. One lace on his boots was shorter than the other, so they didn't lace all the way to the top. He's still wearing the same tights, the same elbow-pads and the same mask (normally) as when he first started out. Nothing about the guy is any different today, then it was even just five years ago and he's been wrestling for much longer than that.

Does anyone else agree with me here, or am I just pissing and moaning over nothing? I would like to see him change in some way, shape, or form. As it stands right now, I really don't care for what he's doing in any promotion.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Complaints about having the same entrance music and his boots being dirty...

Cue that Joker "not sure if serious" image.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I want to piss in your boots and eat your children.

El Generico is a total package. Can't enough of the guy.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
I want to piss in your boots and eat your children.

El Generico is a total package. Can't enough of the guy.
This. Generico is probably the best babyface in pro wrestling today. Top 3 at worst.

·
Hiding in the shadows
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your own opinions are welcome, but why do you appreciate him? Just saying "he's the best babyface" and disagreeing with me isn't very constructive for an ongoing conversation about the topic. Tell me why.

PS I don't wear boots and I don't have any children. Thank God.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
He's cartoony but you can take him seriously.

His gimmick is innovative.

He's so lovable, you just want to hug the guy.

He's loved by adults and kids alike.

He's amazing in the ring.

He sells his injuries very well (see him versus Claudio)

He's a colorful character that lights up the otherwise dull ROH.

Happy?

·
Registered
480 Posts
He's worn different tights and masks over the years, and was even wearing blue for a while. Get your facts straight before you bash the generic luchador.
His matches make you want to see him overcome the beating that he's taking. Great seller, and keeps you emotionally invested in his matches.

·
Hiding in the shadows
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's worn different tights and masks over the years, and was even wearing blue for a while. Get your facts straight before you bash the generic luchador.
His matches make you want to see him overcome the beating that he's taking. Great seller, and keeps you emotionally invested in his matches.
I know he's had different color variations, but for the most part, he's always in the red outfit. And what you and a few others have said now, he's always overcoming those beatings and that's where I have the problem with him as I originally said. Nothing he has done has changed in the 8-10 years he's been wrestling around the world. Every character/personality has to evolve themselves, or they do become irrelevant, stale and boring.

Hell, even Hulk Hogan changed once and I thought that would never happen.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
While I am not engulfed in Generico fandom (Nor Steen for that matter), I simply believe he plays his role well. He knows the art of working as a babyface which is rare on the independent circuit. You can't deny that despite the fact that he done practically nothing to freshen his character, he has remained in good graces with any promotion's fans he has worked for and that says something in a market where someone can immediately be labeled as stale.

You can dislike Generico (Your right as a wrestling fan) however he has a formula that has gained him success and thus far has shown no need to reinvent his character.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I know he's had different color variations, but for the most part, he's always in the red outfit. And what you and a few others have said now, he's always overcoming those beatings and that's where I have the problem with him as I originally said. Nothing he has done has changed in the 8-10 years he's been wrestling around the world. Every character/personality has to evolve themselves, or they do become irrelevant, stale and boring.

I guess what you find to be boring is entertaining to others. Obviously you have your mind made up, and are having difficulties accepting anybody's opinion that isn't in agreement with yours.
I'm a big Generico fan, and you're not.
I was talking about more than just color variations in his gear btw.

·
Banned
313 Posts

El Generico has evolved his character, are you crazy dude?

Look at the wars between Steenerico and the Briscoes or American Wolves

Look at the Generico/Steen feud of 2010 where El Generico's character took a completely 180

·
Hiding in the shadows
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm tired of his face in peril who overcomes the odds schtick in singles matches. I don't think he's bad, I just am tired of him being booked a certain way.
Whew, I thought I was on my own here.

And to the guy who said he did a 180 degree turn in his feud with Steen/Corino, okay that's fine, I agree, but what is he doing now? He's back to the same old El Generico.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Whew, I thought I was on my own here.

And to the guy who said he did a 180 degree turn in his feud with Steen/Corino, okay that's fine, I agree, but what is he doing now? He's back to the same old El Generico.
What's wrong with him going back to the old Generico ? He has no reason to be the Generico of old because Steens not there . Once he banished Steen he could go back to the old Generico . He showed glimses of it during the Roddy fued though .

I didn't think anyone could hate Generico . I'm shocked WWE or TNA hasn't signed him . He's perfect for the PG era .

1 - 20 of 36 Posts