Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
He just needs to stand out a bit more. His look is too generic and his theme song is a bit underwhelming -no main eventer should have a CFO$ 30 seconds instrumental loop. And his character needs to be defined a bit more too. But I think he can success with the right material.
Although I'm not a fan of CFO$'s method of 30 second loops, it is a bagpipe heavy intro. That's the very definition of standing out, I'd say.

Part of the issue with today's product is that it's difficult to have a look that stands out, since WWE usually insist on all their wrestler's wearing their own merchandise in order to sell it to the public, which limits a wrestler's ability to be creative with his/her look. Imagine the Rock being made to wear Rocky Maivia shirts from the beginning and not his brilliant $500 shirts? On a physical level there's very little they'll let their talent do.

Aside from that, script-based limitations will always lead to generic-ness since it's the same writers writing for everyone. It's like the same producer working for 20 artists. Of course the music is going to sound generic.

·
Team AEW
2,782 Posts
He just needs to stand out a bit more. His look is too generic and his theme song is a bit underwhelming -no main eventer should have a CFO$ 30 seconds instrumental loop. And his character needs to be defined a bit more too. But I think he can success with the right material.
I can't rant enough about that theme music... I really don't understand why they are not changing it, if they want fans to take him seriously. Maybe they're writing a new theme and it'll debut at Mania, that'd be great.

·
Registered
11,134 Posts
People denying he's over are flat out lying at this point. When MVP brought out that "some" people don't feel like he's ready to be a world champion, fans heavily booed. They obviously didn't agree with that statement. They will accept him, if WWE will go with him.

Good segment tonight. MVP is still amazing on the mic, and Drew very much held his own.
There is a difference in being over and being expected to sell thousands of tickets in a tough market the NFL, MLB and nba struggle and attempt to match the 2+ million netwotk subs the last two Wrestlemanias hit.

There is a massive burden on McIntyre shoulders. If ticket sales are weaker than 31 (last time Wrestlemania didn't sell out in advance) and subs down 20-30% from last year it's not going to be Brock Lesnar that's blamed and depushed into oblivion

·
Registered
450 Posts
I can't rant enough about that theme music... I really don't understand why they are not changing it, if they want fans to take him seriously. Maybe they're writing a new theme and it'll debut at Mania, that'd be great.
stfu it's one of the best entrance musics ever

·
Team AEW
2,782 Posts
There is a difference in being over and being expected to sell thousands of tickets in a tough market the NFL, MLB and nba struggle and attempt to match the 2+ million netwotk subs the last two Wrestlemanias hit.

There is a massive burden on McIntyre shoulders. If ticket sales are weaker than 31 (last time Wrestlemania didn't sell out in advance) and subs down 20-30% from last year it's not going to be Brock Lesnar that's blamed and depushed into oblivion
Well, you're not wrong. I just think people heavily booing when MVP brought up that Drew isn't ready to hold a world title - is a sign that fans are ready to accept him as a star. Anyway, I don't think they'll go with him as FOTC, he's probably getting his push now so he'd become next generations Orton or Edge - a multiple time world champion, who always hangs around main events. Remember when they held titles constantly like 10 years ago? They weren't THE top guys at that time, and they never were positioned as FOTC. I can't see McIntyre being in that spot either, especially considering that he's not even American, I doubt Vince would make SCOTTISH guy a FOTC. But being an occasional headliner would suit him just fine.

They have plenty of time to push him. Give him more merch, that would be a start. Give him updated music so that fans won't associate him with the previous geek he was. Lots of things they could and should do, right now they let him talk and kill people, and he does really good in that role.

As for subscriptions possibly dropping, I saw rumors that Vince doesn't care about Network anymore, and he considers taking PPVs away from it. So I don't think Drew is in a big trouble here really.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Although I'm not a fan of CFO$'s method of 30 second loops, it is a bagpipe heavy intro. That's the very definition of standing out, I'd say.

Part of the issue with today's product is that it's difficult to have a look that stands out, since WWE usually insist on all their wrestler's wearing their own merchandise in order to sell it to the public, which limits a wrestler's ability to be creative with his/her look. Imagine the Rock being made to wear Rocky Maivia shirts from the beginning and not his brilliant $500 shirts? On a physical level there's very little they'll let their talent do.

Aside from that, script-based limitations will always lead to generic-ness since it's the same writers writing for everyone. It's like the same producer working for 20 artists. Of course the music is going to sound generic.
Well, they don't even have to change all the theme. Look at Corbin's. Johnston made a remix of his former theme and it went from generic CFO$ metal to one of the best in the roster. Gallantry stands out but it still sounds a bit "poor". About the writing, that's why wrestlers need to have at least a voice in the creative direction and script of their characters. But well, that's discussion could go forever -_-
A new theme song or a remix of his current one and new attire would make wonders in my opinion.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Meltzer talked about the Reigns/Wyatt match on WOL and said it's the possible main event. Basically, it sounds like he doesn't know what's closing.

As I said before, people were getting ahead of themselves. There's no way I see Brock/Drew closing. It will be Reigns/Wyatt closing the show. They're literally about to have Goldberg put over Bray. That should tell you how high they are on Bray, if him squashing Rollins didn't already make that apparent. And Reigns is Reigns. He's the top guy.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
His push came out of nowhere, but that's not a bad thing because he is a good choice.

He is a great choice actually, if I was them, I would push the fuck out of him, to the moon. Wrestlemania main event? Give it to him.

If fans some way are not interesting on him in the long run, they will not loose anything, because Drew is a good choice of experiment, way better than anything else in the past few years apart from Roman Reigns.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,054 Posts
I feel like WWE should have been building him up all year long for this. Just book him strongly, have him win some key feuds but I suppose all we can do is wait. He's still a better choice to main event then Roman Reigns or Seth Rollins though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drew will be fine until he’s on top of the mountain. Then the crybabies will appear and it will all be “DrewwinsLOL”, “Kevin Owens is buried”, “Take the belt off him already!” Etc.

The cycle never ends.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lol to think of Goldberg closing Super Showdown as Universal Champion.... And then to think of McIntyre possibly closing Wrestlemania as the WWE Champion. 😂 😂 😂
That puts it into perspective.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Has he turned into Cena yet? The babyface prototype number 24.

Will be cracking jokes about Heymans bald head and coming out in a bear costume in no time.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts