Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Drew McIntyre really over enough to Close Wrestlemania Celebrating ?

I feel its a very underwhelming. I mean I understand he has buzz but this spot ??? They are giving it to him. I know hes not getting alots of boo like Roman all those years but I still feel like the people cared about RR more

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It really doesn't matter man. I'm not his biggest fan but I'll give him a chance. A fresh face in the title picture..COULD be a star, so why not?? I absolutely think Wyatt should be in the ME but what can you do.

At least they are attempting to make him a star, he won't be THE top guy but he has potential to be a main eventer for good. He's much better as a Face anyway. Oh and whose to say him winning is set in stone?? It's Lesnar, you never know. They think whoever works with Brock is automatically the ME. Obviously that's not true anymore but that's what they think.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roman wasn't over and got the closing match 3 times. Give Drew a chance.
I’m not trying to put down Drew, I enjoyed his rumble work. I guess looking at the men (& 3 women) who closed all the wrestlemanias and they all seem to have more star power and well known than Drew even Maybe Miz or Bam Bam biggelow.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think people are jumping the gun here. I've been trying to find where this Meltzer quote came from and I can't. Here is what Meltzer actually said about this match:

“So perhaps the main event at WrestleMania will be Brock Lesnar vs Drew McIntyre. You know they went all the way to build that and Drew McIntyre is the guy. Obviously this is a Paul Heyman decision that was made some time back and I presume Bray Wyatt vs Roman Reigns is the other main event.”

“They could have had Roman Reigns win the Royal Rumble because McIntyre was made when he eliminated Lesnar, but it was one of those things where Heyman probably got the main event and everything or that main event. They’re gonna make it the strongest card we can it is WrestleMania you know they didn’t have any dream match out there so this was it and the whole Rumble was to make Brock into this unbeatable monster, I mean the Rumble told a good story.”

Basically, I'm not sure where the whole Meltzer said this was the main event thing is coming from. His own admission is that Reigns was scheduled to win the Royal Rumble until like 2 weeks ago. And the Drew decision was more a thing they've decided recently. Not only that, it's clear they had no idea what to do at Mania with Brock as early as December. That's how recent this whole development is. They were deciding between Drew and Black for Brock.

Now call me crazy, but something tells me that the match ain't closing the show. They did their best to build Drew up as much as possible, but they've been eyeing Reigns/Fiend as far back as November and Reigns was originally going to win the Rumble. Chances are Drew only won because they thought he needed that win to actually make him feel legitimate. Meanwhile Reigns is Reigns.

Not to mention, Meltzer never really knows what will actually main event this early. He tends to be right the week of the show, usually a few days before, because by that time, presumably it's a known thing by most what match is going last.

To give you some examples, Meltzer thought Reigns/Ambrose was possibly main eventing WM35 in late 2019, despite WWE clearly always planning to have the women close. Reigns main eventing WM35 was never happening. It was the reason Ronda was even there. She was there for the women to headline. Then as early as January 2020, he was still speculating and fans were also unsure so WWE had to literally beat people over the head with it by telling everyone it would close the show.

For WM34, Meltzer was speculating the mixed tag might main event a month before the show in March, which was obviously ridiculous since Reigns/Brock was the clear headliner.

For WM33, he had no idea what was main eventing until a few days before the show when news got out Reigns/Taker would headline.

Basically, he's speculating on his own terms. Be real. It's Drew McIntyre coming off a 6 weeks push that began out of nowhere. The odds are he's not closing the show.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Is Drew McIntyre really over enough to Close Wrestlemania Celebrating ?

I feel its a very underwhelming. I mean I understand he has buzz but this spot ??? They are giving it to him. I know hes not getting alots of boo like Roman all those years but I still feel like the people cared about RR more
You saw the Rumble match right? With a smark Mania crowd, absolutely yes.

The one issue is the 7 hour long show. I don't care if it's the greatest match of all time with in his prime Austin in the main event. After 7 hours I just want to fucking LEAVE.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,457 Posts
No he's not white hot by any means but the fans have gradually accepted him, It's not The Yes Movement or anything thing like that so he's warranted to at least be on the card in a World Title match just not closing the show.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You saw the Rumble match right? With a smark Mania crowd, absolutely yes.

The one issue is the 7 hour long show. I don't care if it's the greatest match of all time with in his prime Austin in the main event. After 7 hours I just want to fucking LEAVE.
Drew was over but it feels kind of out of nowhere.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think people are jumping the gun here. I've been trying to find where this Meltzer quote came from and I can't. Here is what Meltzer actually said about this match:

“So perhaps the main event at WrestleMania will be Brock Lesnar vs Drew McIntyre. You know they went all the way to build that and Drew McIntyre is the guy. Obviously this is a Paul Heyman decision that was made some time back and I presume Bray Wyatt vs Roman Reigns is the other main event.”

“They could have had Roman Reigns win the Royal Rumble because McIntyre was made when he eliminated Lesnar, but it was one of those things where Heyman probably got the main event and everything or that main event. They’re gonna make it the strongest card we can it is WrestleMania you know they didn’t have any dream match out there so this was it and the whole Rumble was to make Brock into this unbeatable monster, I mean the Rumble told a good story.”

Basically, I'm not sure where the whole Meltzer said this was the main event thing is coming from. His own admission is that Reigns was scheduled to win the Royal Rumble until like 2 weeks ago. And the Drew decision was more a thing they've decided recently. Not only that, it's clear they had no idea what to do at Mania with Brock as early as December. That's how recent this whole development is. They were deciding between Drew and Black for Brock.

Now call me crazy, but something tells me that the match ain't closing the show. They did their best to build Drew up as much as possible, but they've been eyeing Reigns/Fiend as far back as November and Reigns was originally going to win the Rumble. Chances are Drew only won because they thought he needed that win to actually make him feel legitimate. Meanwhile Reigns is Reigns.

Not to mention, Meltzer never really knows what will actually main event this early. He tends to be right the week of the show, usually a few days before, because by that time, presumably it's a known thing by most what match is going last.

To give you some examples, Meltzer thought Reigns/Ambrose was possibly main eventing WM35 in late 2019, despite WWE clearly always planning to have the women close. Reigns main eventing WM35 was never happening. It was the reason Ronda was even there. She was there for the women to headline. Then as early as January 2020, he was still speculating and fans were also unsure so WWE had to literally beat people over the head with it by telling everyone it would close the show.

For WM34, Meltzer was speculating the mixed tag might main event a month before the show in March, which was obviously ridiculous since Reigns/Brock was the clear headliner.

For WM33, he had no idea what was main eventing until a few days before the show when news got out Reigns/Taker would headline.

Basically, he's speculating on his own terms. Be real. It's Drew McIntyre coming off a 6 weeks push that began out of nowhere. The odds are he's not closing the show.
Yeah sometimes Vince has WM ME planned year in advance (34,28) and sometimes things change on the fly like with Bryan or lynch. Up until October I could’ve sworn either Rollins, reigns or Lesnar or maybe 2 of them would get the ME again. Then this Fiend thing happen. Well Will see

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There was

There was a report after that which stated Brock/drew has been finalized as main event. Reigns vs fiend will co main event

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yea he is.

He looks great, very presentable and marketable without being an entitled pretty boy.

His promo on Monday seemed sincere and you can see he is really grateful for the fan support .

He may end up flopping and getting no reactions or negative reactions but at least the fans are happy to give him a chance to show us what he got.

But so far so good. They couldn’t have hoped for a better reaction on Monday .

His 3-2-1 chant is Gona get really big as well, it’s catchy enough and fans love to chant things along their fav wrestlers

1 - 20 of 94 Posts