Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yeah his time has passed. As others have said they had multiple chance to capitalize on Ziggler and make him something bigger, but that just never happened. Currently he feels like a mishmash of gimmicks all in one, so at this point a change in look and character would help freshen him up, but he would still need a lot of work to become a credible world champion.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If Rollins can be considered credible to people, I don't see why Dolph couldn't be. He's already better on the mic and arguably better in the ring. He still can be a credible word champion, he just needs to be built up. Not rushed immediately into a title feud.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's never too late.

Before becoming World Champion JBL, he was just Bradshaw from The Acolytes.

How many people wrote off Drew McIntyre when he was in 3MB?

·
Premium Member
12,010 Posts
Huh. You say "past" being a credible world champion like there was some time when he actually was credible enough to be a world champion.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,201 Posts
It's not so easy to just change gimmicks and hope that things will get better. Dolph has been in wrestling for many years now, since the days of Kerwin White and the Spirit Squad. The gimmick he has now is probably the best thing he's ever done, yet it's still not enough to get him to the top. Hell, I remember when he dyed her hair brown once and it just looked weird, he soon went back to blonde. This is where he is because that's where WWE wants him to be. His best chance of making it big was when he won the World Heavyweight Championship and even that was a wasted opportunity. WWE doesn't care about Dolph.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The guy is literally cosplaying Billy Gun and Shawn Michaels weekly...he's on the Natayla track, just a reliable set of hands...they pay him what he wants so he doesn't whatever they need him to

·
The Babyface of WF
12,088 Posts
Once again it's been what 4 years since Dolph truly delivered compelling material during his highlighted feud with Miz in 2016 over the IC Title, His promos had fire and his match with Miz at No Mercy was a banger but since then a few good matches against Rollins in 2018 and a reasonable program with Kofi last year he's been stuck either playing a directionless Lower Midcard Jobber or someone's lackey(Corbin/Sonya) he may be somewhat of a cosplaying HBK and Billy Gunn but damn he makes it work if that were the case.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ziggler would make a good women's champion if he finally has the sex change that he has been long overdue for but he will never be the men's world champion. I think that Ziggler would make a very formidable opponent for Charlotte Flair and I would like to see a match between the 2. Seriously.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've always been a fan of his look and in-ring work, but he fails on the mic and with whatever character he has to me. I can't imagine him being a good stand-up comic for that reason.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've always loved dolph, but the bloom has been off that rose for years. Their best chance was when he was with vicky. Even if they went as far as to put the title on him no one invest in it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
if Jinder who was a jobber become world champ without even a prior build , then Ziggler can. And Ziggler actually has some past accomplishments including multiple world titles , mitb winner and last survivor for his SS team several years back.

Yea he is 40, guess what so is Orton, Lesnar , Aj styles etc and all of them are credible to challenge for the title .

The problem with Dolph is booking inconsistencies. You know he isn’t winning the title becuase his push Unlike say Orton isn’t sustained for Months prior to the title match.

If they want Dolph to be legit challenger he should have have a few winning feuds in the months prior to the title match with some credible opponents .

Like he should feud and win clean vs Aj Styles for example, perhaps also Lashley , maybe even Randy, Seth , etc.

Change his gimmick , maybe give him a stable or some vallet. Change his attire and overall presentation and he will be a good contender.

However as he stands now he is just a joke contender . No credibility , same old shtick of “it should have been me” whining and nothing to tune in for.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,375 Posts
On one hand its hard to look past Mark Henry, who ever thought he had his Hall Of Pain run in him?

But that was a new gimmick for Henry and seeing him at his best.

With Ziggler I feel like we've already seen his best, so the issue is we've seen that and WWE have still treated him like crap and jobbed him into oblivion repeatedly. He's too damaged at this point. As talented as he is, as entertaining as he can be he's been too badly damaged by the WWE to be seen as a credible Main Event guy ever again. I think the worst part is the fans blame Dolph for his booking, and act like its all his fault.

·
Waiting for Kawato
900 Posts
I'll say this, doing the Dolph-Drew feud makes total sense given their history, but rushing to it like this is just stupid. I know nothing is on the line, it's a minor show, there will be no crowd, etc, but still it would be nice if they could put some effort into it. You bring this guy in on the 2 end of a fucking 2 for 1 trade (they're literally telling you right there that he's basically half a superstar) spend no time building him up the way they even had the decency to do with Lashley before his title match, and just throw him straight in there and anyone is meant to take it seriously? Pretty pathetic.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ziggler and McIntyre's sit down interview in the ring on yesterday's Raw made their match a bit more compelling but I still don't expect Ziggler to last more than 10 minutes with McIntyre.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always kind of wanted him to win mitb again but cash in on a babyface and have one good heel run as champion. Still doable but sadly too far down the list now.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Nothing would help Dolph more than a solid winning streak. Music, look, etc falls short if people still expect him to lose. If WWE wants the fans to see him as a credible threat to any belt then he needs to win a few damn matches in a convincing fashion. There really is no subsitute for that. If a guy loses most of the time he will be seen as a loser.....

·
SGT. AT ARMS
16,961 Posts
Theres been many many cases of midcard wrestlers who most thought was never gonna get a serious main event push after being there for decades, JBL, Mark Henry, Kofi, McIntyre, Mahal, even Jericho in 2008, most thought he was never gonna get another main event title run. But with the right creative, a character overhaul, new look, new attitude, you can make someone with talent into a main eventer over night, JBL's main event push started immediately, he had like 3 or 4 weeks of build cutting promos but that was it, he was thrusted right into a WWE title match after that.

If Ziggler would lose the ponytail, lose the HBK knock off tights, get new serious music, get a new attitude, evolve into something new, cause we've seen the "It should've been me i steal the show every night" shit for over a decade, then he could be turned into a credible world champion. Its very possible to make him into a credible world champion, they just don't wanna put the time into making him one, they're fine with him doing the same shtick for years, and are satisfied with him being a good hand to rely on here and there.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Ziggler isn't and has never been main event material. He's an OK worker with average mic skills and a rather unoriginal cocky character like his requires being way more over the top ("Dashing" Cody Rhodes, Tyler Breeze) or having way more charisma (Shawn Michaels) to be actually entertaining. As he is now, he's just a serviceable midcarder who can put over other guys, and that's it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i actually think dolph could become relevant again if he went to the nxt brand as fans tend to allow for a clean slate.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts