Wrestling Forum banner

Is Cole killing the buzz?

2119 28
When I watch the WWE programs with Michael Cole these days I have to cringe somewhat. But what is the adverse effect of this? Well, for one, it annoys me and detracts from the product, hearing Cole go on about nonsense where I would rather have the match called, so I find myself groaning more often or not.

Secondly, and more importantly I feel, is that the announce team is failing to help put people over. When an announcer goes on talking about how what a heel is doing is bad, or questions them, and feels frustrated with how a heel is winning it helps me get on bored with that. I remember watching J.R. commentating with King during the days of Evolution which was fantastic. King would be the color, and says a win is a win, but JR's frustration with the cheating ways helped me feel frustrated at well.

Now? Cole is riding the heels, and the other announcers can't balance because Cole is being fanatical with his man love, and everyone else has to deal with Cole. There is no good announcing right now, which for me is killing the products.
Reactions: IAmNotAJ
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
86,252 Posts
No. I actually tune in to watch/listen to Cole. I love it.

Plus, without Cole, Miz wouldn't be nearly as over as a heel as he currently is. Cole is doing a wonderful job with this character.

· Registered
865 Posts
I agree with OP. What Cole is saying isn't all that bad. It's how much he says it that's making commentary unbearable.
As a side note, the reference to Lawler's mother was a terrible idea as well, stripping Cole further of any support (I don't mean in the sense of making him a better heel, I mean in the sense of losing respect for him as a person, even if he didn't write the script)

· Banned
411 Posts
Michael Cole and Matt Striker's commentating was the thing i looked foward to most on Smackdown, now strikes gone Bookers cools but i prefered Striker

Yes they get off topic but it's funny and i can watch the match i dont need them to call a ddt and such

I will also say in Australia our football commentators go off topic, and argue with each other over the rules and stuff. So to me i dont think its overboard, it's fun it just adds a bit of humor to the night it's all in good fun

· Registered
4,669 Posts

Hahaha, no.

Cole is one of the greatest things going in the WWE right now. He's the most over heel in the company and is so fantastic at annoying and flat out trolling elitist fans and the IWC that he's turning some of them into straight up marks who despise him for his on-air character.

Cole is what Heenan's commentary would've sounded like if the internet was popular back then.

· #OVER
20,700 Posts
I think Cole is brilliant as a heel character and could be a great manager/on-screen authority figure BUT he shouldn't be on commentary. You need the commentators to focus on the matches and put over the wrestlers and storylines, he just can't do that with his current character. The dream would be for J.R. to return on commentary and Cole to become a heel GM.

· Banned
178 Posts
He should move to Miz's manager role already,especially now that the high school jock is gone,i'm fuckin sick of him ignoring the matches and refusing to put over wrestlers in favor of putting his own ass in the spotlight.

· Registered
288 Posts
The problem is not Cole, who has grown into his role just fine, and counteracts the essential blandness of the PG WWE products; it's his partners. Lawler is dated and past it, Matthews is OK, but needs a stronger personality and Booker just doesn't sound comfortable on the mic at all.

It probably isn't a good idea to have Cole on both Raw and Smackdown; this risks overkill. But this just shows how lacking the company is in regard of commentating talent. They need him to enliven both shows.

· Registered
9,456 Posts
Cole is what Heenan's commentary would've sounded like if the internet was popular back then.
Are you seriously comparing Michael Cole to Bobby Heenan? That's like comparing a dogshit sandwich to a Filet mignon. Heenan was a genuinely funny comedy performer with great timing, precision wit and a great heel gimmick. One of the greatest colour commentators of all time. Michael Cole is certianly nowhere near Heenan's league.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.