Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello people.

Question!
We all remember a few months back when cm punk shocked the world with his amazing promo (the first one when he talked about vince dying, and got cut off).

Well is it just me, or is it getting boring now?

Yes its interesting to listen to his promos as he brings up taboo subjects and goes to places (metaphorically) that the regular wrestler wouldnt dream of talking about, but really thats all it is.

Just smart, outrageous remarks here and there, and thats it.

His go to sleep finisher is (like cenas A A), very unconvincing, you can clearly see theres little contact, and i find that with wrestlers taller than him, theres sometimes zero contact at all!

And the `pipebomb` catchphrase, give me a break.
Its so annoying!

Lets face it, if hes doing things like he first did ie gatecrashing comic store events, or hes showing up in tna roh and wwe are trying to pass it off as a work - shoot, thats fine.

But really at the moment all we are getting are boring promos with one or two `oh tell me he didnt just say that` things, and really - the magic, of the `i cant believe he just said that`, has already died down big time the last few months, and just picture it say in 6 months if he`s stil doing it, nobody will even care anymore!

It was the same with the nexus, at first it was so cool, but then the beatdowns, happens every single damn raw etc, and look at nexus now!

With austin and mcmahon, it was always something fresh and new, there was always a new plan, new idea, new trap, new way vince would try to screw austin.
But with punk, as ive said above, its the same old thing each week, where he relies on his `smart mark` comments to retain the magic.

I`d love to know your opinions.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Re: cm punk getting boring?

No , Punk aint boring he looked good last night.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
no, Punk is over........i think they are slowly missing the boat with Miz though

·
Banned
156 Posts
The pipebomb thing he does is annoying.. it's slightly getting on my nerves like when Cena does u can't see me gesture.

Punk acts like a smartass who's seen it all, or been in the business for 20 yrs or something. He's hasn't seen it all. His whole breaking kayfabe will fizzle out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pipebomb thing he does is annoying.. it's slightly getting on my nerves like when Cena does u can't see me gesture.

Punk acts like a smartass who's seen it all, or been in the business for 20 yrs or something. He's hasn't seen it all. His whole breaking kayfabe will fizzle out.
i dont like your username but i agree!

if your selling point is saying cool non kayfabe things - then the `magic` will die very quickly

ALTHOUGH
i loved it the second week when he brought his loudspeaker to the ring in case they cut him off!
that made me laugh :)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Exactly my thoughts on the current CM Punk character, OP. Though expect millions of replies from overzealous Punk marks who haven't even bothered to read your post.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Horrible writing. The story has simply fallen apart, therefore he, and everyone else involved, comes across poorly.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
I don't think he is losing his touch, it's more a case of what he's doing not being fresh anymore. That first shoot promo was a huge WTF moment. 3 months later and it isn't so exciting anymore, especially when he's doing it in such a douchey way. Punk is great but, and I've been thinking this for a while now, his current character isn't sustainable in current day WWE unless the whole product starts to move with him in the same direction and so far it hasn't. It works against Vince, it works against Cena and it works against HHH. But what about Punk/ADR in a feud? What's he going to talk about? What about Punk/Kofi or Punk/Ziggler?

I also think that while giving guys freedom on the mic is a must, Punk might have gone a bit overboard imo. If his promos with HHH were really just bullet points or whatever and they were out there doing their own thing like he says, he went completely off track and started talking about things that aren't relevant at all. The same absolutely needs to be said about HHH because he did it too, they both did. They just went out there and took pot shots at each other under the guise of 'shooting' or whatever it was. While I loved it, I think they lost the whole point of why they were supposed to be fighting in the first place.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think he is losing his touch, it's more a case of what he's doing not being fresh anymore. That first shoot promo was a huge WTF moment. 3 months later and it isn't so exciting anymore, especially when he's doing it in such a douchey way. Punk is great but, and I've been thinking this for a while now, his current character isn't sustainable in current day WWE unless the whole product starts to move with him in the same direction and so far it hasn't. It works against Vince, it works against Cena and it works against HHH. But what about Punk/ADR in a feud? What's he going to talk about? What about Punk/Kofi or Punk/Ziggler?

I also think that while giving guys freedom on the mic is a must, Punk might have gone a bit overboard imo. If his promos with HHH were really just bullet points or whatever and they were out there doing their own thing like he says, he went completely off track and started talking about things that aren't relevant at all. The same absolutely needs to be said about HHH because he did it too, they both did. They just went out there and took pot shots at each other under the guise of 'shooting' or whatever it was. While I loved it, I think they lost the whole point of why they were supposed to be fighting in the first place.
Dam right, and thats why if he`s stil doing this in a few months time nobody will care anymore

remember austin coming out the first time in the pickup truck with the beer

imagine him doing it every single weeek
zzzz

didnt happen did it?
was a different thing every week!

·
Registered
17 Posts
To me it's not so much about his character getting stale, but the plotline itself. It's all over the place and I'm not sure what they are trying to do. The match with HHH was with his job on the line? it should have been, if HHH loses, they have to rebuild the cruiserweight division. haha. Then i would have been happy. If they are going with this character who wants to change things in the WWE, then they need to have to actually change things. He can't just keep talking junk until a pay-per-view comes and he gets beat up by Nash or hornswaggle or whoever else feels like fighting him at the moment.

I'm still liking the plot more than most others I have seen in a while, but it has to go somewhere.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I think it has more to do with how most of you have the attention spans of a goldfish more than Punk losing his magic. He got the spotlight on him with his promos, became WWE champion, dominated Cena for 2 months, so now some of you are over it and are looking for the next brand new, fresh thing.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Punk needs to work a bit harder with his current character. He can't depend on breaking Kayfabe to get an audience reaction, it doesn't work that way.

Punk worked better as a Heel. But with this current situation Punk needs to be a face to reach new heights in the company.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts