Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
NJPW does have characters and storylines. They just are more subtle and long term about it. Their wrestlers aren’t writing their own storylines, they were told to do that. But since its often more subtle than the Western style, you think its the wrestlers doing their own thing.

And please don’t attribute the Tokyo Dome crowd to just the storyline behind Jericho vs Omega. Naito vs Okada also had a lot to do in drawing that crowd and it was more Jericho’s involvement in the event than the storyline behind it that drew people. The match Jericho vs Omega was already enough to draw people that would’ve been interested in that match.
Who is telling Omega and the Young Bucks to do this stuff? Who came up with the one sweet? Id love to know who the writers are behind this stuff...Also I went to the Tokyo dome. It was like 20% white people...20%...all there to see Omega vs. Jericho. We are talking about how NJPW could appeal more to an American audience if they had punk and bryan not how they appeal to Japanese audiences.

First, hire some writers? No, it doesn't work. New Japan has better storylines and characters. And Jericho was a part of the reason for the increase, Naito vs Okada had just as much to do with it (hilarious that you think it was solely Jericho/omega). Why should New Japan just drop their home base and market towards a country that is in the shitter when comes to wrestling. America is not the be all, end all of wrestling. They are fine they way they are, fuck trying to be WWE lite.

New Japan shouldn't try or hopefully never try and market towards US fans and abandon the native audience.
They have one note story lines. Not saying WWE storylines are great right now, they at least try to appeal to what they think the US market wants...Theyre terrible at it though. I went to the Tokyo Dome no white person there cared about Naito vs. Okada...none and it was like 20% white. (Probably evenly split between Euros and Americans) American wrestling is in the shitter? Ok...WWE doing a shitty job of showing a product did literally and I mean literally in its actual definition over 200x the revenue as NJPW last year. Are you an investor in NJPW? Nope? k. Why does Toyota sell cars to the US? If NJPW could carve out even 10 percent of WWE's audience theyd grow 20 fold.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts
Re: Is CM Punk ever coming back to WWE ?

They have one note story lines. Not saying WWE storylines are great right now, they at least try to appeal to what they think the US market wants...Theyre terrible at it though. I went to the Tokyo Dome no white person there cared about Naito vs. Okada...none and it was like 20% white. (Probably evenly split between Euros and Americans) American wrestling is in the shitter? Ok...WWE doing a shitty job of showing a product did literally and I mean literally in its actual definition over 200x the revenue as NJPW last year. Are you an investor in NJPW? Nope? k. Why does Toyota sell cars to the US? If NJPW could carve out even 10 percent of WWE's audience theyd grow 20 fold.
Who gives a fuck? Are they New Japan's biggest audience? No, then why should they market towards them? Tell me why New JAPAN should no longer market towards 95% of their audience for a measly 5%. If you want good "American" wrestling, go watch AE.

It's very obvious that you want a better WWE, not a different product. A Japaneses company is not going to market it's already successful product to Americans, deal with it. Accept it or don't watch. Also, how long have you been watching New Japan? Because I guarantee that any answer longer then October 2017 is a lie.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts

Who is telling Omega and the Young Bucks to do this stuff? Who came up with the one sweet? Id love to know who the writers are behind this stuff...Also I went to the Tokyo dome. It was like 20% white people...20%...all there to see Omega vs. Jericho. We are talking about how NJPW could appeal more to an American audience if they had punk and bryan not how they appeal to Japanese audiences.
So, you’re assuming because they’re white they were there for Jericho vs Omega? And regardless, even if those people were drawn by Jericho vs Omega, they would’ve been there regardless of the storyline. You included

The Too sweet is not a storyline.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Will CM Punk ever return?

Will Daniel Bryan ever wrestle again?

Who threw the pie in Kevin Owens face?

Who raised the belt when Austin tried to get it?

In all seriousness no Punk seems to be a petty guy and stubborn too

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,668 Posts
Unlike some of the posters here, I'd like to give the OP an objective answer.

The answer to OP's question is NO.

Why?

Because Punk almost died because of WWE's quack doctors. There are other reasons too like how Vince was dangling a carrot in front of him, and he got tired of it. So he went to Vince and his moronic son-in-law like a man, spoke his peace, and quit like a man. Vince/WWE/HHH spiteful a**holes that they are, went out of their way to send him termination papers on his wedding AFTER HE QUIT. They then stopped paying him (the money that was actually owed to him for working previous events). Punk sued them for the money owed, and won (people say that they settled out of court, but the reality is that he got his money and then some).

Punk is a different guy, he is not afraid of speaking his mind even if it is against people he knows that he has no chance against. Furthermore, he is very selective with people, just one act of betrayal done to him, and he will hold on to that grudge forever. For example, he got into a big argument with his brother when they both were in business together. His brother embezzled money from him, and they never spoke since. WWE is going to be the exact same story. He's never going to go back to a place that almost killed him, tried to steal his hard earned money, and almost ruined his wedding day. It also does not help that Vince's spiteful daughter goes out of her way to bury CM Punk on live TV since, while Punk doesn't even acknowledge them. It really shows how petty and spiteful they are because Punk beat them in court.

I will always, always respect his decision cause he's doing it out of principle. And he is 100% right in this situation. I wish a lot of other wrestlers stood up for themselves the way that Punk did.
Sorry, the objective answer is WE DON'T KNOW.

Reactions: birthday_massacre

·
Banned
93 Posts
Who gives a fuck? Are they New Japan's biggest audience? No, then why should they market towards them? Tell me why New JAPAN should no longer market towards 95% of their audience for a measly 5%. If you want good "American" wrestling, go watch AE.

It's very obvious that you want a better WWE, not a different product. A Japaneses company is not going to market it's already successful product to Americans, deal with it. Accept it or don't watch. Also, how long have you been watching New Japan? Because I guarantee that any answer longer then October 2017 is a lie.
A Japanese company wont market their already successful product to Americans....name one in history that hasnt. Ill wait. I mean cause who doesnt have to ship their Sony's, Nissans, Toyota's, Mitsubishi's, honda's from Japan to the US themselves. Who doesnt have to translate their Infiniti commercials into English. Sorry, NJPW is already marketing to Americans and trying to get into the market...I know it sucks because you wont feel special anymore when a buncha 12 year olds watch it, but its true. They are bringing in more and more English only speakers and sure, theyll still be a Japanese pro wrestling company, but they want the American audience. Not sure how you could be that blind.

But dont take my word for it, "The good health of New Japan's business Kidani said is a factor in the company's strategy to expand globally. The promotion will take the first steps toward that expansion on July 1 and 2 when it will hold two live events at the Long Beach Convention Center in Los Angeles, California. Tickets for both events sold out within minutes after they were put on sale. "

Also 26% of their audience is outside of Japan. So again not 5%... Again...dont take my word for it....facts are fun man. "Following Wrestle Kingdom 11 on January 4 this year, it's estimated New Japan's streaming service NJPWWorld had about 60,000 subscribers, about 74% in Japan, 26% outside Japan. To compare, the WWE Network had 1.66 million paid subscribers after WrestleMania this year."

So, you’re assuming because they’re white they were there for Jericho vs Omega? And regardless, even if those people were drawn by Jericho vs Omega, they would’ve been there regardless of the storyline. You included

The Too sweet is not a storyline.
So their entire persona is created by them...you know there is more to writing than story lines right? Are you aware of this? When they stop shows and talk, that is their wrestlers talking in English.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts

So their entire persona is created by them...you know there is more to writing than story lines right? Are you aware of this? When they stop shows and talk, that is their wrestlers talking in English.
What’s your point? Do you want NJPW to script literally everything they do like in the WWE? For fuck sake, NJPW doesn’t do that and let them have their freedom. That’s a good thing. You don’t need people to write that because it for the most part doesn’t need much writing. What they need however is writing for storylines which they do have.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts

A Japanese company wont market their already successful product to Americans....name one in history that hasnt. Ill wait. I mean cause who doesnt have to ship their Sony's, Nissans, Toyota's, Mitsubishi's, honda's from Japan to the US themselves. Who doesnt have to translate their Infiniti commercials into English. Sorry, NJPW is already marketing to Americans and trying to get into the market...I know it sucks because you wont feel special anymore when a buncha 12 year olds watch it, but its true. They are bringing in more and more English only speakers and sure, theyll still be a Japanese pro wrestling company, but they want the American audience. Not sure how you could be that blind.

But dont take my word for it, "The good health of New Japan's business Kidani said is a factor in the company's strategy to expand globally. The promotion will take the first steps toward that expansion on July 1 and 2 when it will hold two live events at the Long Beach Convention Center in Los Angeles, California. Tickets for both events sold out within minutes after they were put on sale. "

Also 26% of their audience is outside of Japan. So again not 5%... Again...dont take my word for it....facts are fun man. "Following Wrestle Kingdom 11 on January 4 this year, it's estimated New Japan's streaming service NJPWWorld had about 60,000 subscribers, about 74% in Japan, 26% outside Japan. To compare, the WWE Network had 1.66 million paid subscribers after WrestleMania this year."
There is a diffrence between expanding and completely changing the product. The diffrence seems lost on you. Expanding is completely fine, changing your product completly which is what you want them to do is counter productive, and will harm njpw more then help them. The U.S. will always be secondary to New Japan.

Also, Japan has never accepted streaming services, bringing up figures to try and fit your theory shows you have a lack of understanding of the culture. Us and Japan cultures are very diffrent, pointless comparing streaming services. :lol And, you still haven't answered when you started watching. Bet it's when Jericho joined. Wouldn't suprise me, if you don't like the way New Japan operates, don't watch it. Go watch some sports entertainment in the America, puro is clearly not for you.

·
Registered
456 Posts
he should just become an actor

who cares about seeing him back if the product is this bad and not even most kids care about it.

i can already predict if punk would ever return, hes gonna look real old, hes not gonna feel the same as he did years ago, and i guarantee they will stick him in some crappy feud with strowman or whoever. i can just feel his return will suck.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Never say never, but I think it's very unlikely. The way he was treated and how miserable he felt is a clear indicator. It's like one of us walking out of a job because it was to the point we absolutely hated it and truly felt there was no further reason being there. Why go back? That's just insanity. As others have said, if he wants to wrestle again, it'll be at ROH or NJPW.

I could see WWE in many years offering a HOF spot for him to try and make amends and offer a final match for him, but I seriously doubt he'll take it.
HHH sent termination papers to arrive exactly on time on his wedding day. I would assume the bridge was truly burnt at that point.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
He's 39, he's had one professional fight and he got killed. I don't know why he hasn't announced his retirement yet. All that's going to happen if he steps into the ring again is that he's going to have the shit beaten out of him again.

He can either stay retired for the rest of life eating through his savings or go back into wrestling. It makes all the sense in the world for him to put his differences with WWE aside and go back into it. Maybe Japan at an outside bet.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,404 Posts
I don't want him back. He's not gonna have any good storylines cuz the WWE doesn't do that. He's not gonna have any good matches because the in ring product stinks now too. I'd love to see him as IWGP Champion or returning to Ring of Honor though

101 - 120 of 138 Posts