Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HBK is immortal so I'm not insinuating that CM Punks is becoming him exactly, but he's partnering with triple H and he's getting a huge push as top baby face along with John Cena. Is CM Punk getting prepped for this role, or is a heel turn in the works(which would still be similar to HBK)?

·
Wrestling Forum's Ace Attorney
4,126 Posts
Hmmm I see where you are getting at, but I doubt it unless Triple H and CM Punk start pulling pranks on Johnny Ace and his cronies and making poop jokes, then we are going to have a StraightEdge DX on our hands.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
Worst thread of all time.

Punk as HHH's tagteam partner for One PPV makes you think he is gonna be HBK?

and FYI Shawn michaels was a big star before HHH or DX in 2006.

Awful thread is Awful.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
No and I can't see how you can compare HBK to Cm Punk to begin with. They are to far apart as persons and even characters on TV. Cm Punk isn't copying anyone out there as far as I'm concerned. CM Punk is CM Punk and he has his real life straight edge thing which he carried over to TV. That's the way it should be.

While HBK is HBK. No one can replace him either. It's the way it should be. Just because he is teaming up with hunter right now doesn't mean he's becoming new HBK.

Seriously some ideas you people come up with still amazes me from time to time.

Good sig though;). If I could manage to have to of them I would probably have one of those.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mean that he's joining DX or anything like that at all. The point where I'm getting is are they going to market CM Punk to fill the void that HBK left behind. I initially thought this, not because of him partnering with triple H, but when Cena mentioned he was the only one on the roster that can go toe-to-toe with him. I'm gradually seeing Punk slide into that roll. I posted the thread specifically saying that CM Punk is not copying HBK.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
How can they market him like HBK if he's not HBK? Still not following you there mate.

As far as voids go it's not only HBK's void they need to fill. They need to fill the voids of Undertaker, Jericho, Batista (hate to say that but still), Edge and there a few more I have in my mind that I'm to lazy to think about.

Oh yeah Jeff Hardy. That one as well.

And as far as people mentioned here I believe if anything Punk is filling the void Jericho made when he left far more than HBK.

He is the new full package after all:).

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
What specific void did HBK leave behind? He hasn't been the top guy since the mid 90's and was a supporting main eventer/veteran since his return in '02. Beyond "average sized, total package main eventer" there's really not much to compare.

·
Registered
403 Posts
What fucking void?? Neither hbk nor jericho were big draws. They werent even draws to be exact.

if there is any void to fill, its probably the match quality that shawn constantly produced & that i am 100% sure Punk cant fill.

As for Jericho... sure he is talented and all, IWC loves him but i really doubt the Casual fans give a fuck.

Watch his 2007 return, pretty pathetic reaction.

CM Punk is already a bigger draw than Jericho.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I think he really meant the void of star power HBK left. But as said there where more people leaving these recent years and more voids than HBK that needs to be filled.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shawn Michaels in my eyes was a face that could go up against a face or a heel in the main event. He was always cheered and liked because his fueds were personal rather than making him seem like a all-around bad guy(just my opinion. I am sure a ton of people disagree). That's what i was asking in regards to CM Punk. He has to get over first, but can he be the guy that can fight anyone and put on a great show and still be cheered at the end of the day?? maybe pin cena clean(I can hope).

for the people who are going to say that HBK was well over for a decade before he could do what i just mentioned above. I think he was doing that even in the early stages of his career, most notably with Bret Hart. Me and my brother used to argue for days over that fued.

It is also possible he is filling other viods. I never really considered the others.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Shawn Michaels in my eyes was a face that could go up against a face or a heel in the main event. He was always cheered and liked because his fueds were personal rather than making him seem like a all-around bad guy(just my opinion. I am sure a ton of people disagree). That's what i was asking in regards to CM Punk. He has to get over first, but can he be the guy that can fight anyone and put on a great show and still be cheered at the end of the day?? maybe pin cena clean(I can hope).

for the people who are going to say that HBK was well over for a decade before he could do what i just mentioned above. I think he was doing that even in the early stages of his career, most notably with Bret Hart. Me and my brother used to argue for days over that fued.

It is also possible he is filling other viods. I never really considered the others.

SIMPLE ANSWER - NO.

Punk is an average Worker to begin with. He is no shawn michaels in the ring.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Shawn Michaels in my eyes was a face that could go up against a face or a heel in the main event. He was always cheered and liked because his feuds were personal rather than making him seem like a all-around bad guy(just my opinion. I am sure a ton of people disagree). That's what i was asking in regards to CM Punk. He has to get over first, but can he be the guy that can fight anyone and put on a great show and still be cheered at the end of the day?? maybe pin Cena clean(I can hope).

for the people who are going to say that HBK was well over for a decade before he could do what i just mentioned above. I think he was doing that even in the early stages of his career, most notably with Bret Hart. Me and my brother used to argue for days over that feud.

It is also possible he is filling other voids. I never really considered the others.
Ok now I'm getting the idea.

As far as Punk you have to understand that he is still under development and still needs to get over more. He still needs a few years to say the least to achieve true stardom in the likes of Cena and such.

The thing that is different with HBK and Punk is that HBK was part of the klique and was in close relations to whisper ideas to McMahon to make them true. But that was during the 90's. He was with corporation rather than the guy who never got a fair cut like Cm Punk(or so Punk felt for very long time).

So even here we have a huge difference between HBK and CM Punk. Cm punk never got anything handed to him easily. Not to mention he never played backstage politician (to my knowledge) unlike HBK.

But as said gimmick wise and full package wise he is filling the gap of Mr. Best In The World At What He Does;).

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok now I'm getting the idea.

As far as Punk you have to understand that he is still under development and still needs to get over more. He still needs a few years to say the least to achieve true stardom in the likes of Cena and such.

The thing that is different with HBK and Punk is that HBK was part of the klique and was in close relations to whisper ideas to McMahon to make them true. But that was during the 90's. He was with corporation rather than the guy who never got a fair cut like Cm Punk(or so Punk felt for very long time).

So even here we have a huge difference between HBK and CM Punk. Cm punk never got anything handed to him easily. Not to mention he never played backstage politician (to my knowledge) unlike HBK.

But as said gimmick wise and full package wise he is filling the gap of Mr. Best In The World At What He Does;).

Thats BS. he was 2 time mitb winner, Ecw champion, 3 time world champion, Main event feud with taker, Nexus leader, SES leader.

All this was handed to him, despite the fact he was not "WWE made superstar". Vince still gave him all the oppurtunities but punk failed to get over.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Thats BS. he was 2 time mitb winner, Ecw champion, 3 time world champion, Main event feud with taker, Nexus leader, SES leader.

All this was handed to him, despite the fact he was not "WWE made superstar". Vince still gave him all the oppurtunities but punk failed to get over.
I was aiming at saying that he didn't use backstage politicians to get where he is today;).

He still had to work for stuff you mentioned and not to mention actually have talent.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Punk and HBKs careers look nothing alike, so I don't get where the comparison comes from.
You don't have to have the same career to end up in the same place. with your logic Hulk Hogan had to have the same type of career as John Cena because they both ended up as the face of the WWE. No doubt it will take time, but I think thats the direction the WWE is going with CM Punk. This sucks because I wanted him to go the Vegeta route (I think thats called the anti-hero right?).

·
Banned
5,374 Posts
You don't have to have the same career to end up in the same place. with your logic Hulk Hogan had to have the same type of career as John Cena because they both ended up as the face of the WWE. No doubt it will take time, but I think thats the direction the WWE is going with CM Punk. This sucks because I wanted him to go the Vegeta route (I think thats called the anti-hero right?).
Every underdog wrestler in the upper card gets the HBK comparison. After awhile you just tend to ignore it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts