Wrestling Forum banner

Is Chrsitian/Del Rio overshadowing Edge/Del Rio?

4513 Views 53 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  DX-HHH-XD
First of all, let me just make it clear that I am an Edge and Christian fan. Always have been and this thread is not supposed to be an Edge or Christian hate thread.

Okay, so the thing is, Edge vs Del Rio is a great feud in a classic champion vs contender sort of way. Here is the seasoned veteran the World Heavyweight Champion Edge, who has held that title belt for quite a while and has been giving pretty solid matches (yes, his injuries have slowed him down alot, but he's doing his best to put on a show). Just last month, Edge survived the hellacious Elimination Chamber against five other credible challengers, ending with a great one-on-one mini match against Rey Mysterio. He's earned his title belt.

Then, there's Alberto Del Rio, the fastest-rising up & comer in recent memory. Yes, Sheamus put Cena through a table and won the WWE title belt soon in his WWE tenure, but Del Rio got over clean against Rey Mysterio and worked an entire angle with him. He openly went around declaring his destiny was to win the Royal Rumble and when the day came, he did just that. People don't like him, and he just doesn't care. He's a guy people just love to hate, the wickedness, the narcissism, the overly bragging of his wealth.

Like I said, it's a classic Face Champion vs Heel Contender feud. Except for one thing. Christian.

This is a guy who has had serious beef with Del Rio (kayfabe obviously) over an injury that put him on the shelf for months. Plus, it just so happens that Del Rio's current opponent happens to be his best bud. Now, I thought they'd do a match between Christian and Del Rio, have Del Rio win and seem like a legitimate threat to Edge for his title match at 'Mania. Instead, they push this triple-threat feud for weeks. They finally have a one-on-one this past week in a cage.

But here's what surprised me, Christian won! Why? What is the WWE's plan here? Do they want to add him to the 'Mania match? And to top that off, Alberto attacked Christian after the cage match, which of course led to Edge trying to make the save and getting con-chair-toe'd on his arm that Del Rio has been targeting for weeks. Now, the fact that Del Rio attacked Christian after his cage match victory indicates that this feud isn't over.

Here's the current standing:

Alberto HATES Christian.
Christian HATES Alberto.
Alberto also wants to be the champion.
Edge is the current champion.
Edge keeps saving Christian / Vice Versa.

When you look at it, it almost looks like a Christian/Del Rio feud, along with the champ. Or at least a triangle feud. Either way, Christian is not playing a third wheel, which I think he should. (I love Christian and would love for him to get a push but ADR won the Royal Rumble, Edge won the chamber, What did Christian do here? Save his buddy a few times from a guy he doesn't like anyway?)

So, here's my question, regardless of whether the match turns into a triple threat at 'Mania, is it right to involve Christian in such a major role in this feud? Isn't it taking away from the champion/contender feud we should have received between the Rumble and the Chamber winner? Is Christian/Del Rio overshadowing the WHC feud?
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
3,509 Posts
NO IT ISNT, Edge Delrio own its own didn't have a good build up, adding Christian has made it ALOT more interesting, in the next two weeks expect them to change this definitely into a Edge/Del Rio feud, but thats if Christian doesnt get added.

And TBH, Christian vs Del Rio alone just can't be at WM.

· Read Only
11,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO IT ISNT, Edge Delrio own its own didn't have a good build up, adding Christian has made it ALOT more interesting, in the next two weeks expect them to change this definitely into a Edge/Del Rio feud, but thats if Christian doesnt get added.

And TBH, Christian vs Del Rio alone just can't be at WM.
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Adding Christian made it a lot more interesting, but I expected ADR and his troop to take out Christian and then make Edge really hate them. Instead, Christian beat Del Rio this past week in the cage match. Why are they making Christian look so strong? It makes sense if he will eventually be added to the Mania match but if he wont, they WTF are they doing? They should have ADR beat up Christian bad to send a message to Edge and make the rivalry personal.

Oh, and yes I completely agree with you. Christian vs Del Rio (at this point of their careers) is not at all a Mania worthy match.

· Registered
4,272 Posts
To be honest, I think Christian is still the third wheel. For the most part, ADR and even Edge are ignoring Christian. I don't think he's ever been acknowledged when these two guys are having a war of words against each other, then ADR proceeds to beat down Edge, then Christian runs down and beats up ADR, that's what the past 3 weeks have been basically. In a way he is sort of like in the position of The Miz, trying to get noticed by The Rock and Cena only he's not the Champion and he's just physically, not verbally involved.

· The Winds of Change
5,629 Posts
It's almost to the point that it is overshadowing Edge/Del Rio. Christian and Del Rio have beef with each other, while Edge and Del Rio is more a case of Del Rio won the Rumble and Edge just happens to be the World Champ. With all that has, and is going on with Christian in the feud, it makes for aa interesting dynamic to the feud, yes, but also confusion. Edge/Del Rio feels...flat, and has from day one. It has needed something else, and WWE has just not given it that extra kick.

WWE had the opportunity to put the IC title belt on Del Rio at Elimination Chamber (the belt isn't doing jack shit right now on Kofi) to set up for title vs. title at Mania...and they didn't do it. They have had Christian heavily involved in the build to Edge/Del Rio, yet they haven't added him to the match. I think making the match a triple threat is exactly what it needs to make the match actually feel big enough for the grandest stage of them all. Edge/Del Rio as is, looks like something we would see at a random PPV in the middle of the summer.

A lot of people have said that adding Christian to the Mania match would devalue Del Rio's Rumble win, and some have even gone as far to say it would "ruin Del Rio". I don't understand how people can try and make that argument when it has happened multiple times where a superstar has been added to the Rumble winner's Mania title match...and it didn't affect their win at all. If anything it made the matches better IMO. Both Benoit and Mysterio won the Rumble match and had another superstar added to the match, but still went over at the big show. Did that ruin either superstar's title reign? No.

The other thing a lot of people are failing to see here, is that Del Rio is a heel and as a heel he can go over in a triple threat match and keep his heat. In fact, it may even work out better for him to win it in a triple threat because Christian could take the fall and Edge would be "protected"...they could possibly even do a out of no where roll up with the trunks being grabbed. A cheap win by Del Rio would be fitting for his character and for the storyline as a whole.

The fact that Christian has a clean win (cage match or not) over the #1 contender, and has had the upper hand on him week in and week out, should at least bring up the conversation of him being added to the match. I think Smackdown this week is the last chance they have to add him to the match...so, fingers crossed.

· Registered
3,509 Posts
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Adding Christian made it a lot more interesting, but I expected ADR and his troop to take out Christian and then make Edge really hate them. Instead, Christian beat Del Rio this past week in the cage match. Why are they making Christian look so strong? It makes sense if he will eventually be added to the Mania match but if he wont, they WTF are they doing? They should have ADR beat up Christian bad to send a message to Edge and make the rivalry personal.

Oh, and yes I completely agree with you. Christian vs Del Rio (at this point of their careers) is not at all a Mania worthy match.

Yeah, its stupid to make Christian win when or If he is not added to the match at WM

· 1/100
8,051 Posts
In my opinion, Christian/Del Rio has been overshadowing Del Rio/Edge and it's not even close.

Until last night, Edge/Del Rio had NOTHING at all going for it. I get that it's the *classic* champion V challenger feud, but in order for the program to get over between the two (especially on the biggest stage of them all) it needs to be more than just that. Christian/Del Rio has the *personal* level that any good program needs.

I too just don't get why they had Christian go over in the cage match (not complaining about it because it was the biggest win Christian has had since returning to the company in 2009). If it was the blow off match then fine. However, like you said they had Del Rio cut a promo on Christian and he continued his assault after the match (therefore indicating the ADR/Christian deal is not over). Let's say Christian doesn't get added (right now it's 50-50), the ONLY reason why I can think Christian went over the Royal Rumble winner would be kind of like a *Thank you* for allowing them to use his injury (which Christian didn't have to do seeing as it was legit injured by CM Punk) to help get ADR heat.

All I know is that I hope they add CC to the match for no other reason than now the WHC match can actually be a 10+ minute quality match. Keyfabe wise, ADR should make Edge tap in less than 5 minutes in a squash match and that's shitty. Christian and ADR have good chemistry in the ring so they can occupy the 10+ minutes of work, and the finish can still be ADR making Edge submit (or fuck, now that Christian has defeated ADR he can even make Christian tap and it would still be beneficial to ADR)

and I agree that just Christian/Del Rio is in no way big enough for WrestleMania. But quite frankly, neither is Edge/Del Rio. Adding Christian doesn't make the match THAT much bigger because Christian is not a main event player in any way. However, putting Christian in the match can only make the match itself better (just like adding Christian to the program at EC has made the last month better).

· Registered
193 Posts
Pretty much agree with Noleaf. As much as Christian needs this feud the feud needs him even more. At this point I don't think Edge and Del Rio could pull off a wrestlemania worthy performance and there just isn't a whole lot of chemistry between the two.

Christian on the other hand has had several great matches with Del Rio already and that main event cage match on Smackdown was PPV worthy. Great wrestling, great story, both men on top of the cage hammering away. Both guys had us on our feet. Christian main eventing and showing why.

· 1/100
8,051 Posts
You people think a World Title match is going to be drastically changed two weeks before WRESTLE f*ckin MANIA ? :lmao
You make it seem as if Christian's involvement was just started last night.

You may not know this so I'll spell it out: Christian has been in the Edge/Del Rio picture since February.

All things considered, is it REALLY that far fetched for people to think that there may be a shot at it happening? (I'm sure you'll say yes so I digress)

(I hold it at 50-50 and would personally like for it to be a 3-way cause I'm biased, but like you say we are 2 weeks away and at this point I want Christian to work a match at Mania so I'll be even more pissed if he's not even added to the Corre/Kane/Big Show match, let alone the Edge/Del Rio)

· Registered
7,800 Posts
You make it seem as if Christian's involvement was just started last night.

You may not know this so I'll spell it out: Christian has been in the Edge/Del Rio picture since February.

All things considered, is it REALLY that far fetched for people to think that their may be a shot at it happening?

(I hold it at 50-50 and would personally like for it to be a 3-way cause I'm biased, but like you say we are 2 weeks away and at this point I want Christian to work a match at Mania so I'll be even more pissed if he's not even added to the Corre/Kane/Big Show match, let alone the Edge/Del Rio)
Yes, it is far fetched.

They aren't gonna wait two weeks before the ppv to announce the change to a triple threat match.

· Banned
18,342 Posts
I honestly think this is just setup for Christian's heel turn at WrestleMania or Extreme Rules, which leads to Edge vs Christian non-title feud.

· 1/100
8,051 Posts
Yes, it is far fetched.

They aren't gonna wait two weeks before the ppv to announce the change to a triple threat match.
Agree to disagree I guess.

In WWE, 2 weeks is a fuck ton of time. They've been known to change matches the day of the PPV (granted this is WM, so I digress). And it's not as if they are taking Edge or Del Rio out of it and adding a random mother fucker to the match, they would be adding a guy who has been booked strong and made this program interesting dating all the way back to Elimination Chamber.

I honestly think this is just setup for Christian's heel turn at WrestleMania or Extreme Rules, which leads to Edge vs Christian non-title feud.
Why would they tuen Christian heel right now? On what grounds? Just because we all want to see it and Christian is way better as a heel? Edge and Christian haven't even really had any promo time (which would build up the relationship and make the eventual heel turn way better), so I think turning Christian heel at Mania is absolutely out of the question (but you also said it could happen at the next PPV so maybe that could happen).

· Registered
7,800 Posts
Agree to disagree I guess.

In WWE, 2 weeks is a fuck ton of time. They've been known to change matches the day of the PPV (granted this is WM, so I digress). And it's not as if they are taking Edge or Del Rio out of it and adding a random mother fucker to the match, they are adding a guy who has been booked strong and madethis program interesting dating all the way back to Elimination Chamber.
A big match like this needs time to buildup after it's offically announced, no main event match has been made shortly before the ppv with no buildup after.

The last SD before WM features one match, promos and footage from WWE Axxess.

· 1/100
8,051 Posts
A big match like this needs time to buildup after it's offically announced, no main event match has been made shortly before the ppv with no buildup after.

The last SD before WM features one match, promos and footage from WWE Axxess.
Fair enough and I agree.

However, the way Edge/Del Rio has been built since the last PPV, Christian has been involved in this program every single step of the way. That's not up for debate seeing as Christian has been involved since day 1. It's not like adding a guy who just peaked his nose in the program last night.

If they added Christian to the match, what would there be to explain and build around? Whether you realize it or not, they have just spent the last month building and explaining it (if they choose to add him). Christian just beat the #1 contender, so there is the outlet to logically get him included. Pair that with his involvement since the last PPV/what he has done every week and it makes perfect sense.

They can add Christian to the match, have Del Rio make whichever guy tap cause he needs to go over at Mania, then have a continuation match at the next PPV, then ADR can move on and defend his title against Undertaker or someone like that and E & C can maybe get into a program against each other. It's a win for Del Rio (get his championship at Mania). It's a win for most fans. It's a win for Edge (he apparently personally requested Christian as his Mania opponent). It's a win for Christian (gets to work Edge at Mania). It's a win for everyone IMO.

We will find out Tuesday. WWE probably has no idea what the fuck they are gonna do considering they change their mind every minute it seems.

· Banned
18,342 Posts
Why would they tuen Christian heel right now? On what grounds? Just because we all want to see it and Christian is way better as a heel? Edge and Christian haven't even really had any promo time (which would build up the relationship and make the eventual heel turn way better), so I think turning Christian heel at Mania is absolutely out of the question (but you also said it could happen at the next PPV so maybe that could happen).
I don't know, maybe Del Rio could simply buy him, and Christian is sick of being in Edge's shadow, something like that.

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Simple answer yes it is .
In my opinion the only reason Christian is part of the feud is so Del Rio can badly injure him in front of Edge which would inject some emotional attachement to the match for Edge OR they put him in the match and make it a triple threat simply to have him tap out to Del Rio so Edge doent have to actually "lose" to lose the match

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.