Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of what he said about The Rock in 2008?

JohnCena John Cena
CeNation. Watched rocks interview back just to make sure. I never ran my mouth about rock. He refers to an article published in the uk sun

JohnCena John Cena
In 2008. Please..read it. Then u decide. Ill be at wwe live events this week in baton rouge,alexandria,college station.......

JohnCena John Cena
And I will come to raw for bizzness. Final knockout this monday on raw. HUSTLE. LOYALTY. RESPECT.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...na-interview-in-full-John-Cena-Wrestling.html

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
Here's the relevant bit:

"John: This is my take on The Rock, and he's a genuinely nice guy. I've met him; he's a fantastic human being. What I kind of get peeved about, and I guess this is my flaw, my Achilles heel, I hear it every day with young talent, with midcard talent, with people aspiring to make it in this business; I hear "I've wanted to do this my whole life."

Rock falls into that category. He, at one point, loved wrestling and wanted to do this all of his life. Explain to me why he can't come back for a 15th Anniversary show or why he can't make an appearance at Wrestlemania. Simply put it's because he wants to be an actor. There's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with that. He's a very good actor, he's very successful, he's done very well for himself and associating with sports entertainment doesn't do much for his acting career. It only helps out the sports entertainment audience so I get why he doesn't come back.

Just don't f*** me around and tell me that you love this when you are just doing this to do something else. That's the only thing that gets me really pissed off.

Joel: To come out to the ring, as a surprise, cut a promo, go back.

John: It'd be fantastic. The people would go nuts, and that's the thing, he has so much admiration from our audience. One thing I've learned from being a wrestler, or being on the other side of the barricade and being a fan, you almost don't realise it as a fan because you are a fan so much, you just go to everything. Being on the other side I learned how much of their hard earned dollars are spent on our product. And to have that much admiration still, when he hasn't been around, hasn't been on TV, you gotta respect that from our fanbase and he just doesn't give anything back, man. I wish he'd just show up, just say "Hi" and leave, it's all he's gotta do. Do the eyebrow once and get out of town. That's one thing that sweats me.

But like I said, he is a great guy, but we all know now that he wants to be an actor. There's nothing wrong with that because he's truly found another passion. He's good at acting, his films make money."

In my opinion if the Rock came back periodically then his return right now wouldn't be nearly as epic.

·
Old School
4,782 Posts
Here's the relevant bit:

"John: This is my take on The Rock, and he's a genuinely nice guy. I've met him; he's a fantastic human being. What I kind of get peeved about, and I guess this is my flaw, my Achilles heel, I hear it every day with young talent, with midcard talent, with people aspiring to make it in this business; I hear "I've wanted to do this my whole life."

Rock falls into that category. He, at one point, loved wrestling and wanted to do this all of his life. Explain to me why he can't come back for a 15th Anniversary show or why he can't make an appearance at Wrestlemania. Simply put it's because he wants to be an actor. There's nothing wrong with that, there's nothing wrong with that. He's a very good actor, he's very successful, he's done very well for himself and associating with sports entertainment doesn't do much for his acting career. It only helps out the sports entertainment audience so I get why he doesn't come back.

Just don't f*** me around and tell me that you love this when you are just doing this to do something else. That's the only thing that gets me really pissed off.

Joel: To come out to the ring, as a surprise, cut a promo, go back.

John: It'd be fantastic. The people would go nuts, and that's the thing, he has so much admiration from our audience. One thing I've learned from being a wrestler, or being on the other side of the barricade and being a fan, you almost don't realise it as a fan because you are a fan so much, you just go to everything. Being on the other side I learned how much of their hard earned dollars are spent on our product. And to have that much admiration still, when he hasn't been around, hasn't been on TV, you gotta respect that from our fanbase and he just doesn't give anything back, man. I wish he'd just show up, just say "Hi" and leave, it's all he's gotta do. Do the eyebrow once and get out of town. That's one thing that sweats me.

But like I said, he is a great guy, but we all know now that he wants to be an actor. There's nothing wrong with that because he's truly found another passion. He's good at acting, his films make money."

In my opinion if the Rock came back periodically then his return right now wouldn't be nearly as epic.
Damn Cena owned Rock. Gotta admit.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I really wonder what Cena would do if he started getting big offers from Hollywood.
Difference between cena and rock is cena loves the fans and rock just used WWE and it's fans as a stepping stone to get to hollywood. He proved this on raw in his promo where he said he had "other goals". Why was he thinking of these other goals while in WWE? :confused: So basically he was in WWE and the fans were cheering for him and making him popular and during this time he was thinking how he could use this popularity to get into hollywood and do movies.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
wow so cena does interview by satellite and you find it. This was because he was on larry king doing other work to promote WWE. I was referring to rock, he talked alot of smack and didn't have anything else scheduled but didn't turn up at raw instead he chose to do a promo from his home. Cena was the guy who actually turned up, in fact cena has been at every raw since rock come back.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Difference between cena and rock is cena loves the fans and rock just used WWE and it's fans as a stepping stone to get to hollywood. He proved this on raw in his promo where he said he had "other goals". Why was he thinking of these other goals while in WWE? :confused: So basically he was in WWE and the fans were cheering for him and making him popular and during this time he was thinking how he could use this popularity to get into hollywood and do movies.
I don't get it. Your telling me The Rock knew as soon as he started getting popular that he could become a movie star? And Cena doesn't have the same "other goals" despite being in 3 movies? Cena would have done the same thing Rock did if his movies performed better at the box office.

·
Registered
401 Posts
wow so cena does interview by satellite and you find it. This was because he was on larry king doing other work to promote WWE. I was referring to rock, he talked alot of smack and didn't have anything else scheduled but didn't turn up at raw instead he chose to do a promo from his home. Cena was the guy who actually turned up, in fact cena has been at every raw since rock come back.
You do know all this isnt real dont you? How many times to people have to tell you, its common sense they wanna keep Rock off of RAW as much as possible so that WM is something epic. How old are you anyway? Cant be over 15 years old.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Thing is Cena spoke from a fan perspective. He never really dissed Rock. He just spoke as a fan and how the general audience felt about Rock leaving and not wanting to associate himself with wrestling anymore. I can understand that. He never said that Rock was a bad person or a sellout. He just spoke as a fan.

Can't wait from Raw. Time for Cena to lay down the facts and draw the lines .

·
Banned
7,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You complete knob head, it's a storyline, it's not real.

They (WWE/VINCE) are telling Rock when he can come on RAW ect ect, not Rock.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Rock was not at RAW so that they can save the confrontation with Cena till WM or maybe on an episode closer to WM.

Every wrestler right now would have done the exact same thing Rock did and I wouldn't blame them for wanting to do it. Cena did come off as a hater on that interview. Anyway we should all remember that this is an angle and both of them are probably cool with each other when they are backstage.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
He showed a huge lack of professional courtesy and disrespected a guy who paved the way for him. If Cena doesn't see where he may have disrespected him in those comments, then I guess the US education system failed him too. It's pretty clear cut.

Do I have to break this down? I may as well.
"This is my take on The Rock, and he’s a genuinely nice guy. I’ve met him; he’s a fantastic human being. What I kind of get peeved about, and I guess this is my flaw, my Achilles heel, I hear it every day with young talent, with midcard talent, with people aspiring to make it in this business; I hear “I’ve wanted to do this my whole life. Rock falls into that category. He, at one point, loved wrestling and wanted to do this all of his life."
Just to point out very quickly: no, he doesn't. Let's not attribute false things to others. Rock ended up in wrestling because he was unable to pursue his original choice for a career. It's well documented that his own father didn't even want him wrestling when he initially brought it up with him (and he did that in his adult years, after he could not pursue american football).
"Explain to me why he can’t come back for a 15th Anniversary show or why he can’t make an appearance at Wrestlemania."
It could be because WWE let his contract run out and didn't even bother approaching him for renewal. It could also be that just 10 months prior to these comments, you had he who cannot be named murder his own wife and child. But let's ignore the fact that he taped a promo for Smackdown just a year prior for the big angle for Wrestlemania 23 and was appearing to host the Hall of Fame that year.
"Simply put it’s because he wants to be an actor. There’s nothing wrong with that, there’s nothing wrong with that. He’s a very good actor, he’s very successful, he’s done very well for himself and associating with sports entertainment doesn’t do much for his acting career. It only helps out the sports entertainment audience so I get why he doesn’t come back."
He's implying here that The Rock isn't returning because it doesn't help him. Roundabout way of saying if a return could help his new career and not just the "sports entertainment audience", he'd come back. Can someone, anyone see how that could not be taken as being disrespectful? I don't think it was helping The Rock's movie career when he returned to put over Eugene or Evolution or the Diva Search. But he did that.
"Just don’t f*** me around and tell me that you love this when you are just doing this to do something else. That’s the only thing that gets me really pissed off."
Most problematic comments. He's claiming The Rock used wrestling as a stepping stone. I'd honestly like to ask which sane individual would try and use wrestling of all things as a stepping stone into a career in Hollywood. The Rock started wrestling in 1996. There was a better chance of him being killed in a car crash or being hit by lightning than there was of him becoming such a huge icon that he'd succesfully transition into acting. How can you be surprised that someone would be offended by these comments?
"It'd be fantastic. The people would go nuts, and that's the thing, he has so much admiration from our audience. One thing I've learned from being a wrestler, or being on the other side of the barricade and being a fan, you almost don't realise it as a fan because you are a fan so much, you just go to everything. Being on the other side I learned how much of their hard earned dollars are spent on our product. And to have that much admiration still, when he hasn't been around, hasn't been on TV, you gotta respect that from our fanbase and he just doesn't give anything back, man. I wish he'd just show up, just say "Hi" and leave, it's all he's gotta do. Do the eyebrow once and get out of town. That's one thing that sweats me."
Basically Rock needs to make returns no matter what on occasion because he created such a huge impact on the fans and industry. If he doesn't, he's not showing respect to his fans. Let's ignore that while he was there, he put in 100% and gave his all to the fans. But because the people that came after him haven't exactly done a good job of taking over as torch bearers and people have been clamouring for him for years, he's somehow entitled to return every now and then and if he doesn't, he's not giving anything back and not showing any respect. He's not giving anything back...even though he was there for six years, bustig his ass week in, week out. Again, flawed and moronic logic.
"But like I said, he is a great guy, but we all know now that he wants to be an actor. There's nothing wrong with that because he's truly found another passion. He's good at acting, his films make money."
Finish it with a positive comment after disrespecting the man's character, integrity and questioning his passion for the industry. Yep, not blasting at all. He may not have come out and trashed him blatantly, but any intelligent person can see how he basically took a crap on The Rock for no reason.

I'm not surprised to be honest. In the same interview he says this:
Simon: Is that what separates the top guys? You see people like Triple H and Shawn Michaels and see them work with terrible injuries.

John: I don't think its something that separates the top form the bottom, I just think it's something that visibly shows that people who genuinely love what they do and there are those that don't.
It doesn't separate the top guys from the bottom when they carelessly work through an injury that happens in a match, it just separates the guys who truly love their job from those who don't. While I can respect a superstar like Triple H working through injuries in a match, I can never respect someone who tries to claim those who don't lack any genuine love for the job. There's a line between stupidity and blind pride. You shouldn't question someone's love for his profession just because he's ended up injured in a match, maybe torn a muscle, and probably doesn't want to screw himself over even further by working through it and instead takes the safer and wiser option. These "stars" do have families to feed, and their own health to look after. But yeah, way to make a stupid blanket statement.

I respect Cena's efforts in and outside of the ring, but if his past interviews and general comments regarding issues that require a little thought are to go by, he lacks any critical thinking skills. I wouldn't be surprised to hear tomorrow that he's xenophobic or bigoted in some form or another. He sure loves his homophobic jokes for one, in 2011, when gay rights are a pretty prominent issue in America.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
They (WWE/VINCE) are telling Rock when he can come on RAW ect ect, not Rock.
True. If Cena AND Rock were both there every single week then they'd have come to blows by now, which completely ruins the tension for WM. The less contact the better, because everyone knows for a fact that both will be at WM and will therefore buy the PPV. Just business.
I really wonder what Cena would do if he started getting big offers from Hollywood.
The funny thing is, everybody assumes that Cena is a hypocrite for doing movies after slating Rock for doing it when Cena's beef was never with Rock actually doing movies. If you read the interview, he says his problem with Rock was that he didn't do what Austin did. Austin peaks his head in the door at least once a year, maybe hosts a Raw, refs a WM match, guest appearances etc.

Rock has only appeared a minimal amount of times (the taped promo for Umaga/Lashley springs to mind). I get that movie stars have big schedules but he couldn't host a Raw, cut a taped promo?
Cena's argument basically sums up into "I get that you're a mega huge star now but is it so hard to spare five minutes, maybe once a year, to say hi to the people who got you where you are?"
While this is true, it's also kinda' irrelevant unless you believe that Rock was planning this return for seven years.
i dont really care, but the final knockout line sounds interesting
Agreed. Really wondering what this is, considering he's already played the Rap card. Unless it's got something to do with Austin? Unlikely though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
He showed a huge lack of professional courtesy and disrespected a guy who paved the way for him. If Cena doesn't see where he may have disrespected him in those comments, then I guess the US education system failed him too. It's pretty clear cut.

Do I have to break this down? I may as well.

Just to point out very quickly: no, he doesn't. Let's not attribute false things to others. Rock ended up in wrestling because he was unable to pursue his original choice for a career. It's well documented that his own father didn't even want him wrestling when he initially brought it up with him (and he did that in his adult years, after he could not pursue american football).

It could be because WWE let his contract run out and didn't even bother approaching him for renewal. It could also be that just 10 months prior to these comments, you had he who cannot be named murder his own wife and child. But let's ignore the fact that he taped a promo for Smackdown just a year prior for the big angle for Wrestlemania 23 and was appearing to host the Hall of Fame that year.

He's implying here that The Rock isn't returning because it doesn't help him. Roundabout way of saying if a return could help his new career and not just the "sports entertainment audience", he'd come back. Can someone, anyone see how that could not be taken as being disrespectful? I don't think it was helping The Rock's movie career when he returned to put over Eugene or Evolution or the Diva Search. But he did that.

Most problematic comments. He's claiming The Rock used wrestling as a stepping stone. I'd honestly like to ask which sane individual would try and use wrestling of all things as a stepping stone into a career in Hollywood. The Rock started wrestling in 1996. There was a better chance of him being killed in a car crash or being hit by lightning than there was of him becoming such a huge icon that he'd succesfully transition into acting. How can you be surprised that someone would be offended by these comments?

Basically Rock needs to make returns no matter what on occasion because he created such a huge impact on the fans and industry. If he doesn't, he's not showing respect to his fans. Let's ignore that while he was there, he put in 100% and gave his all to the fans. But because the people that came after him haven't exactly done a good job of taking over as torch bearers and people have been clamouring for him for years, he's somehow entitled to return every now and then and if he doesn't, he's not giving anything back and not showing any respect. He's not giving anything back...even though he was there for six years, bustig his ass week in, week out. Again, flawed and moronic logic.

Finish it with a positive comment after disrespecting the man's character, integrity and questioning his passion for the industry. Yep, not blasting at all. He may not have come out and trashed him blatantly, but any intelligent person can see how he basically took a crap on The Rock for no reason.

I'm not surprised to be honest. In the same interview he says this:

It doesn't separate the top guys from the bottom when they carelessly work through an injury that happens in a match, it just separates the guys who truly love their job from those who don't. While I can respect a superstar like Triple H working through injuries in a match, I can never respect someone who tries to claim those who don't lack any genuine love for the job. There's a line between stupidity and blind pride. You shouldn't question someone's love for his profession just because he's ended up injured in a match, maybe torn a muscle, and probably doesn't want to screw himself over even further by working through it and instead takes the safer and wiser option. These "stars" do have families to feed, and their own health to look after. But yeah, way to make a stupid blanket statement.

I respect Cena's efforts in and outside of the ring, but if his past interviews and general comments regarding issues that require a little thought are to go by, he lacks any critical thinking skills. I wouldn't be surprised to hear tomorrow that he's xenophobic or bigoted in some form or another. He sure loves his homophobic jokes for one, in 2011, when gay rights are a pretty prominent issue in America.
This man right here, knows what hes talking about.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The funny thing is, everybody assumes that Cena is a hypocrite for doing movies after slating Rock for doing it when Cena's beef was never with Rock actually doing movies. If you read the interview, he says his problem with Rock was that he didn't do what Austin did. Austin peaks his head in the door at least once a year, maybe hosts a Raw, refs a WM match, guest appearances etc.
Cena did say that Rock only wrestled to get into movies as The Caped Crusader pointed out. Also I think its better that Rock didn't show up once every year like Austin. He made a pretty clean break and that makes his returns so much more worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts