Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a few wrestlers are stiff and actually are out to hurt others in the ring. Bob Holly, Nasty Boys, Scott Steiner, Godwinns, Ric Flair, Legion of Doom, and several others who escape me at this time. And people who hurt them back gain their respect (e.g. Mr Kennedy to Bob Holly), while green wrestlers who are seen as a soft touch in the locker room and are taken advantage of.

Is this the way professional wrestling should be? What do you think of such wrestlers?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I never saw it as a badge of honor, if you work stiff, than you are nothing mroe than a piece of garbage, Eddie Guerrero put it best

There are wrestlers who get their thrills working stiff, actially hurtig their opponents. I hate being stiff with someone, but sometimes you’ve got to do it. Sometimes you’ve got to be stiff to get Respect. To me, the wrestlers that want to work stiff, that want to hurt you, they're just stupid. People are giving you their Body out there. They’re trying to provide a living for their families. If you want to go stiff, go to UFC. When somebody gives you his Body and you take Advantage of him, that’s assault. That kind of behavior has no place in this Business. Unfortunately, there are a lot of wrestlers like that.
Eddie Guerrero

There is nothing more to say, sure you should try to make it believable, but many do it cause they are just really horrible workers.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Can anyone really call William Regal and (at some points) Bryan Danielson a liability in terms of working a match?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Great question but I'm not sure if a message board full of smarks are the people to ask.

It's definitely a question you can only ask a wrestler.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
I never saw it as a badge of honor, if you work stiff, than you are nothing mroe than a piece of garbage, Eddie Guerrero put it best

That kind of thing that really ticks me off about organized Religion. It dosen’t say anything in the Bible about Not being able to marry someone who’s pregnant. It’s a completely man-made concept. Rules like that turn people away from the church. I truly see that sort of thing as the Manipulation of Satan, using things of God to turn people away from God. I always told people to read the Bible and listen to their hearts. Religion should be about your relationship with God, Not what the church says you can or cannot do. You don¨t need rules created by man to tell you how to live your life.
Eddie Guerrero

There is nothing more to say, sure you should try to make it believable, but many do it cause they are just really horrible workers.
what are you talking about :confused:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Oh i quoted the wrong quote^^

There are wrestlers who get their thrills working stiff, actially hurtig their opponents. I hate being stiff with someone, but sometimes you’ve got to do it. Sometimes you’ve got to be stiff to get Respect. To me, the wrestlers that want to work stiff, that want to hurt you, they're just stupid. People are giving you their Body out there. They’re trying to provide a living for their families. If you want to go stiff, go to UFC. When somebody gives you his Body and you take Advantage of him, that’s assault. That kind of behavior has no place in this Business. Unfortunately, there are a lot of wrestlers like that.
Eddie Guerrero

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
Meh plenty of wrestlers work stiff and can have great match ups, there are those who might use it as a way of masking their inability to wrestle., and there are those that are stiff, as that is the style they were trained in... So as always BambiKiller sits on the fence like a puddycat,

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Great question but I'm not sure if a message board full of smarks are the people to ask.

It's definitely a question you can only ask a wrestler.
This.

I'll cheerfully bullshit my attempt at wrestling knowledge as much as any old smark, but even I know there isn't a soul on this board that can give an intelligent answer to this question.

I've never wrestled a match in my life, and unless you have, I don't really think you can form an educated opinion on this.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Depends. Is the guy working stiff because he wants to make the match more realistic and make the fans go home happy or is he working stiff because he wants to prove he's more of a man and show a 'rookie' who's boss? One is a ring worker who takes pride in his work and (hopefully) clears it with his partner/opponent in the match. The other's a douchebag.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Here's the thing. There is a HUGE difference between being STIFF and being SNUG. SNUG is guys like Danielson and Regal in most cases. They hit hard, but they hit safe. STIFF is just being wreckless and hurting people. People who work stiff need to be stopped and put in their place because there is no place for them in a business that relies on opponents protecting one another.

·
Vince gives me a comedy gimmick
6,753 Posts
I think I read it somewhere on Lance Storms site where someone asked him if he ever went stiff on purpose and he said something like...

'No. Why would I intentionally hurt someone? What would I or my opponent gain? That's just stupid.'

I'm only paraphrasing, but I believe it was something along those lines.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here's the thing. There is a HUGE difference between being STIFF and being SNUG. SNUG is guys like Danielson and Regal in most cases. They hit hard, but they hit safe. STIFF is just being wreckless and hurting people. People who work stiff need to be stopped and put in their place because there is no place for them in a business that relies on opponents protecting one another.
I like the distinction and it kind of fit with what I was going for in my post but couldn't there be a better name than Snug? That sounds like Billy & Chuck's finishing move.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
Kurt Angle is supposedly the wrestler of the decade and he's a stiff worker

So who are we to bitch about it

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If they're expecting it (IE. Most of Bryan Danielson's kicks should be expected), it's okay. But if you go out of your way to hurt your opponent, you're a douche and unprofessional.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts