Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a fan when I was a kid. It has recently come back. I recently ordered a 1000 plus page book on 1950's sci fi called Keep Watching the skies, but before I read it I plan on watching all sci fi films of the 1950's up to 1961, or 1962 or so. That's over 200 films. Let's just say thank God for youtube!

Anyways, is there anyone on here that were old enough to watch any sci fi film during this time period, and if so, what was your experience, and how did the audience react? Or some that you happened to catch up on a re-release possibly.

What 1950's sci fi films do you enjoy watching? And, overall, what is your general impression of them?

Anything goes just as long as it's about sci fi from around this era.

Anyways, can't wait to read your responses!

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
3,980 Posts
Re: Is there anyone on here that are fans of 1950's sci fi cinema?

There are few things in this weird world of ours that I enjoy more than a '50s sci-fi shocker. As a student of the strange, I've dedicated a good portion of my life to monsters, aliens, and things beyond the comprehension of earthmen. I've never met a Martian I didn't like!

My Top 12:

1. The Blob
2. Forbidden Planet
3. Gojira
4. This Island Earth
5. 20 Million Miles to Earth
6. I Married a Monster from Outer Space
7. The Incredible Shrinking Man
8. Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
9. The Mole People
10. The H-Man
11. Creature from the Black Lagoon
12. The War of the Worlds

·
Premium Member
43,961 Posts

I wouldn't call myself an expert in 50s Sci-Fi Cinema, but there are a few films from that period that I adore.

Gojira is one of my favorite movies of all time, and I also really liked Rodan which came out two years later. Another Toho classic, The Mysterians, is worth checking out if you want to see their take on alien invader films.

Harryhausen's The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, It Came From Beneath the Sea, Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers, and 20 Million Miles to Earth are classics in special effects driven cinema.

Also continuing on the giant monster kick, Them! is worth a look as well.

War of the Worlds is obviously a classic worthy of praise. I can't remember, but the Day The Earth Stood Still was in the 50s, right?

The Blob is a staple of the time period, and The Creature From The Black Lagoon is one of my favorites from Universal.

This Island Earth, unfortunately (or fortunately, whatever) I've only seen as the film that was used for MST3K: The Movie. Love it for the MST3K experience, but I felt while watching it that it was actually a solid flick. One of these days I'll be sure to watch the real thing.

Looking at that list, its easy to see that I have a thing for monsters.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts

The monster effects in particular and effects in general in Forbidden Planet look better than a lot of the CGI shitfests we get today 60 years later. THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE COMPUTERS THEN YA MODERN HOLLYWOOD DINGUSES

·
40,752 Posts

I really like the 50s aesthetic, and Harryhausen is a god, but I can't say I'm crazy about a lot of these movies. I do like Forbidden Planet, The Blob, and some Japanese stuff (obviously Godzilla etc).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I really like the 50s aesthetic, and Harryhausen is a god, but I can't say I'm crazy about a lot of these movies. I do like Forbidden Planet, The Blob, and some Japanese stuff (obviously Godzilla etc).
Forbidden Planet is one of the best I've ever seen. The lady in the film (her name escapes me) said the director told them to take it seriously, which probably why it is so good. I haven't seen The Blob yet. I will get it from my local library however:), and Godzilla is awesome! I own almost all of them on DVD.

Why don't you like 50's sci fi for the most part?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

There are few things in this weird world of ours that I enjoy more than a '50s sci-fi shocker. As a student of the strange, I've dedicated a good portion of my life to monsters, aliens, and things beyond the comprehension of earthmen. I've never met a Martian I didn't like!

My Top 12:

1. The Blob
2. Forbidden Planet
3. Gojira
4. This Island Earth
5. 20 Million Miles to Earth
6. I Married a Monster from Outer Space
7. The Incredible Shrinking Man
8. Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
9. The Mole People
10. The H-Man
11. Creature from the Black Lagoon
12. The War of the Worlds

1. Haven't seen it.
2. Amazing.
3. Gojira is great, though it is quite depressing!
4. I liked it, though the main monster wasn't in it till the end of the film. I hear that they couldn't afford putting legs on the monster, so they made him wear pants.
5. Harryhausen is brilliant, though I think there's better ones of his.
6. Haven't seen it.
7. The Incredible Shrinking Man is an important film to see I believe since it is about man, and God, and how small man is (at least that's how I took it).
8. Haven't seen it.
9. Good film up until the ending.
10. Have it, but haven't seen it.
11. Just saw it on TCM. It's a good film.
12. Haven't seen it.

I haven't seen all of the 50's sci fi movies, but I've seen a few.

·
40,752 Posts

Forbidden Planet is one of the best I've ever seen. The lady in the film (her name escapes me) said the director told them to take it seriously, which probably why it is so good. I haven't seen The Blob yet. I will get it from my local library however:), and Godzilla is awesome! I own almost all of them on DVD.

Why don't you like 50's sci fi for the most part?
I do like it, it's just not my favorite era of sci-fi.

I will say that the greatest sci-fi flicks of that time did amazing things with the constraints they had upon them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was a youngster in the 1950s and loved my Saturday afternoons at the movies watching Sci Fi Movies. Still watch and love those movies today.
My love of those movies led me to create a photo history of 1950s Sci Fi/Horror/Monster Movies on a CD. My CD contains 2000 photos covering 130+ 1950s Movies. On average, there are about 15 photos related to each movie.
The photos include posters with year of the movies’ release, lobby cards, lobby photos, still photos, title/trailer screens, etc. Photos for each movie are grouped together on the CD.
If you would like more detailed information about the CD, please contact me at [email protected].
Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
my fav movies are the thing and them!....love those

1 - 12 of 12 Posts