Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the failed attempt at a Monday night war, AJ Styles hasn't really been at the forefront of TNA. It's odd, because the guy was taking Kurt Angle to the limit and now he's getting jobbed out to Tommy Dreamer, a guy that Zack Ryder retired for Christ's sake.

I like AJ Styles. I think he has improved leaps and bounds on the mic over the past few months and I think he's a very entertaining wrestler. Some people call him a "spot monkey," but I disagree. I think he's more of a well built high flyer with a solid arsenal of moves. He certainly has more of a presence than guys like Generation Me, Amazing Red and Evan Bourne.

I feel that TNA should push Styles into the main event scene again. I would love to see him replace Abyss, RVD or Mr. Anderson. Abyss is a little too out of shape for me to take seriously, RVD is phoning it in like a mad man and Mr. Anderson doesn't do much for me unless he's holding a mic.

What does everyone else think, is AJ Style a main eventer or is his de-push justified?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
aj is still main event caliber. it's nice they dont jam him down peoples throats like cena was in wwe. it's a good way to make people just flat out hate you. i actually like that tna kinda keeps the main event scene a bit fresh by rotating some new people in there. lately it's been hardy anderson pope angle. a few months ago it was rvd angle styles joe etc... aj is still the tv champ he's just doin more with flair and co. atm which is nice. i didnt mind the fourtune vs ev2 fued i thought it was done very well. we got some really solid matches out of it. the ecw guys really impressed me how well they could go still. dreamer has actually been pretty solid in the ring too and put on better matches in tna than he ever did in wwe.

·
Registered
549 Posts
No, he's not. Aj's spot is in the upper mid card with the occasional main event foray and title win. He's good in the ring, has developed some presence and is constantly improving on the mic, but unfortunately the dude has zero charisma. Plus, his storytelling/psychology is far from spectacular, which it needs to be to compensate for his other flaws.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
He is a main eventer but he isnt a draw. There are tons of main eventers these days (Edge, Sheamus, Styles, etc...) that are main event level talents that have held titles but simply arent draws.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
aj is still main event caliber. it's nice they dont jam him down peoples throats like cena was in wwe. it's a good way to make people just flat out hate you. i actually like that tna kinda keeps the main event scene a bit fresh by rotating some new people in there. lately it's been hardy anderson pope angle. a few months ago it was rvd angle styles joe etc... aj is still the tv champ he's just doin more with flair and co. atm which is nice. i didnt mind the fourtune vs ev2 fued i thought it was done very well. we got some really solid matches out of it. the ecw guys really impressed me how well they could go still. dreamer has actually been pretty solid in the ring too and put on better matches in tna than he ever did in wwe.
I enjoy your avatar. The Soul Reaver series is excellent. I'll always remember the opening scene of the first game with Raziel and Kain.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I enjoy your avatar. The Soul Reaver series is excellent. I'll always remember the opening scene of the first game with Raziel and Kain.
thanks ya i wish they would finish off the series. soul reaver 1 i still think was one of the greatest games ever.

aj held the tna title longer than anyone else so him being a midcard guy is laughable. like the other guy said sheamus is a good example he's main event in the E but he's not a draw. AJ has the athletic moves the other guys just don't have. people want to see him hit moves like the pele on guys. he makes up for lack of charisma at times because he does have main event athletic ability above other people on the roster and that includes the Es roster.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
He is a main eventer but he isnt a draw. There are tons of main eventers these days (Edge, Sheamus, Styles, etc...) that are main event level talents that have held titles but simply arent draws.
I think it's unfair to put Edge in that group. He does have a big fanbase and he was a decent draw a few years ago. Sheamus and AJ are not even over. Despite what their marks say.

And to answer the OP AJ is not a real main eventer. He got pushed aside as soon as RVD, Hardy and Anderson got settled in abit. He'll never be world champ again unless all the real stars leave.

·
Banned
445 Posts
He's a main eventer, but he'll spend a lot of time away from it like Jericho. His title reign was a success. He's the best in-ring performer in the company, and he drew better ratings as champion than an established guy like RVD did.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
TNA needs to keep building Styles and I think A.J is going to be in the mix WITHOUT A DOUBT. I don't give a shit how long Style's has been in TNA, he's still not even close to carrying the company, let alone main-eventing via drawing. He can get there and even though he's poss one of the best wrestlers in the world in the ring, he still needs to be taught to be more all-around and that needs to start with a gimmick change or atleast his look. His look is laughable.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
AJ is one of my favourite wrestlers ever, but he is no real maineventer, he doesn't have "it", he's completely void of any charisma and he only really shines in the ring. He should just go back as a face and start doing spots like a madman again, he easily outshines any other highflyer bar maybe Pac, but has the best psychology out of the bunch so this is what his role should be. He was put as a pretty big guy in TNA for a long time, but I never recall any of his matches drawing even remotely like Flair vs Foley so TNA should just use him as their RVD, a TNA guy with a cult fanbase.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks ya i wish they would finish off the series. soul reaver 1 i still think was one of the greatest games ever.

aj held the tna title longer than anyone else so him being a midcard guy is laughable. like the other guy said sheamus is a good example he's main event in the E but he's not a draw. AJ has the athletic moves the other guys just don't have. people want to see him hit moves like the pele on guys. he makes up for lack of charisma at times because he does have main event athletic ability above other people on the roster and that includes the Es roster.
I was more of a fan of Soul Reaver II. It was like a dark, morbid Zelda long before Darksiders.

Anyway, I think people are harsh on Sheamus and AJ in terms of being a draw. Who besides Cena and Undertaker are draws in the WWE, Randy Orton? I don't even think so. Sheamus is a unique guy that's great in the ring, great on the mic and looks the part. He may be a draw in a few years.

As for AJ, I recall TNA getting the same ratings with him as champ as it was getting with RVD as champion. AJ could easily be on the same level as RVD in terms of popularity. He's solid on the mic, phenemonal in the ring and has a good look in my opinion.

TNA needs to keep building Styles and I think A.J is going to be in the mix WITHOUT A DOUBT. I don't give a shit how long Style's has been in TNA, he's still not even close to carrying the company, let alone main-eventing via drawing. He can get there and even though he's poss one of the best wrestlers in the world in the ring, he still needs to be taught to be more all-around and that needs to start with a gimmick change or atleast his look. His look is laughable.
What don't you like about his look? I feel he has a main event look about him, because nothing comes off as too "gimmick-y." He has a normal haircut, decent ring attire, a good build and a tattoo.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I think now definitely yes, at least for TNA. Before he was just a guy with a belt, who they pretended was automatically credible because they put him in there with guys like Angle etc. Doesnt work like that. Now that he has a strong persona, if they give him another run with the big belt, it will be far better. And they will do it, he just doesn't happen to be in that storyline at the moment, but he is a top guy in TNA.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
if you ever played blood omen 2 how about that level the eternal prison? that seriously is the coolest game area i've ever seen. the whole level was massive and just amazingly cool. final boss was a bad ass too hehe. soul reaver 2 was great but in my opinion the overall game environments in 1 put it ahead of 2. all the games in the series are fun though.

·
Banned
10,007 Posts
In the long-run, yes, AJ will always be (and always has been) a main-eventer. Currently he's dropped down to upper-midcard for the EV2 thing. He is at the forefront of that, though, which obviously counts for something.

When they were butched in the Monday Night 'Wars' they looked for a scapegoat and chose AJ Styles, citing that he wasn't a draw or a big enough name. So they gave the title to RVD (Mr 0.5) who did even worse. In 6 months (or maybe less) he'll be wrestling for the World Title again for sure. He'll probably turn face at some point and be the head of whatever is opposing 'They'.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
No, he's not. Aj's spot is in the upper mid card with the occasional main event foray and title win. He's good in the ring, has developed some presence and is constantly improving on the mic, but unfortunately the dude has zero charisma. Plus, his storytelling/psychology is far from spectacular, which it needs to be to compensate for his other flaws.
This. The guy really isn't a draw, but he can elevate almost anybody he faces and work with guys higher than him without looking redicuously outclassed; essentially an uppercard gatekeeper like Jericho or Benoit. If anything, Styles has been given more appropriate booking since Fourtune was started.

If anything, the biggest problem with Styles are both his obssessive fans who complain whenever he is not in the championship run and his critics who can't get past their ego and accept anybody with fanfare and history in the higher end of the card like Styles even being in the upper midcard beleiving that you need to be a current or potential future draw just to be in the fucking midcard.

·
Damn Fine Cup of Coffee
12,954 Posts
Yes. Pure and simple. Don't let his poor booking speak about his main event capabilities. I remember everyone bitching about RVD's title reign and wishing Styles was champion again and now since RVD has lost the belt, it's back to slamming Styles. I'd rather have a clean cut performer who can speak on a mic and do more than flips and shit than a drugged up spot monkey who can't speak to save his life and can only fly around a ring like a monkey.

AJ Styles is a main eventer. Not Jeff Hardy.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Yes. Pure and simple. Don't let his poor booking speak about his main event capabilities. I remember everyone bitching about RVD's title reign and wishing Styles was champion again and now since RVD has lost the belt, it's back to slamming Styles. I'd rather have a clean cut performer who can speak on a mic and do more than flips and shit than a drugged up spot monkey who can't speak to save his life and can only fly around a ring like a monkey.

AJ Styles is a main eventer. Not Jeff Hardy.
lol I don't really know how to respond to such a stupid comment. Who was the guy that headlined WWE PPVs for half of 2009? Who did Hogan and Bischoff pick to be the top guy in TNA? Who has one of the 2 or 3 largest fanbases in wrestling?

AJ is a nobody and the only time he main events is when TNA has no other option.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts