Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see alotta people on here say that AJ's way better as a heel. How so? How the hell is he any different with his delivery than when he was a face? I'm not saying hes bad as a heel, I just don't understand how hes all of sudden "better" on the mic as a heel. People bitched about how AJ had no character on the mic, yadda yadda yadda, so now all of a sudden just because he's talking about heelish things he has character? To me his delivery is still exactly the same the only difference hes the bad guy now. He still doesn't have any creativity in his delivery, he's still far far FAR away from guys like Jericho or Punk, so I just don't get it.

And TBH I never saw AJ as "bad" on the mic or "boring" neway he just wasn't creative. I always saw him as just more of a "default" promo guy who said "default" things you'd expect a wrestler to say but at the end of the day got the job done. "You screwed me, I'm the insert nickname here, fight me like a man, etc.". Now watching AJ as a heel he's basically just "default" Heel. "Im the best in the world, I'm the insert nickname here, your not on my level, etc." Being a heel doesn't make you miles better.

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
To the IWC everyone is better heel.
How have you not noticed that yet?

If Mike Tenay ran into the ring and screwed a major face out of a belt the forum would explode with ....
Tenay avatar/sig requests
"I've always liked Tenay" comments
"Mike Tenay > your favorite wrestler" threads

imho AJ does have the same approach to heel and face.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If Mike Tenay ran into the ring and screwed a major face out of a belt the forum would explode with ....

Of course I know how the IWC is I just wanna see if people can actually bring legitimate reasons as to why hes better on the mic as a heel.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think he's more interesting as a heel. As a face, he pretty much said generic face lines in his promos, but he's actually said some entertaining stuff since he became heel, specifically after joining up with Flair. But I will be honest and say I didn't like AJ's first heel run back in 2006-2008

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
He's getting better playing the heel role, but AJ's been pretty good or at least believable (more as the face imo) since he came back from the MEM beating. That's just my take on it..ever since the Legends Title run

·
Premium Member
44,210 Posts
I liken AJ on the mic to Bret Hart. He was never "the man" when it came to mic skills, and I don't I ever thought "Oh my God! Bret's got the stick! This is going to be awesome!" the same way I did for say Jake Roberts or Mick Foley or Raven or The Rock, just to name a few.

However, Bret always got his point across & was usually very believable on the mic, and that's something that doesn't get talked about a lot. Do I believe what you are saying? And that is a major problem I have with alot of the younger talents because I really don't. Most of the examples I'd use would be from WWE as they operate in that heavily scripted environment, but for TNA, let's use Robbie E here. I don't believe in whatever it is the guy is saying. He's not convincing as this character and it feels like something that TNA came up with in 5 minutes as a reaction to The Jersey Shore rather than a believable character executed through an organic performance. Bret never had flashy catchphrases except for the "Best there is" bit, but when said things, it felt real, and that was something I always appreciated.

AJ Styles has gotten to that point where, at the very least, I can believe in what he's saying & he gets his point across. He'll never go down as the best talker of all time, but he's good enough, and he can certainly get it done in the ring.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I've always thought Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin came across as really believable. Especially during the Reaction cam promos. Few guys that couldn't shine before now REALLY stand out as believable characters with that style of segment

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Imo, AJ's done some very good mic work as a heel ("THIS... THIS... THIS is the house that AJ STYLES BUILT"), he's had more energy in his promos, and comes across as a lot more natural and confident. Before, his promos always sounded somewhat more forced. I don't think it's just because he's playing a heel now, though; I attribute it to some coaching from The Naitch. We'll see how he does after the inevitable face turn, then we'll be in a position to judge (unless you're among those sorry people who still just think he sucks).

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I liken AJ on the mic to Bret Hart. He was never "the man" when it came to mic skills, and I don't I ever thought "Oh my God! Bret's got the stick! This is going to be awesome!" the same way I did for say Jake Roberts or Mick Foley or Raven or The Rock, just to name a few.

However, Bret always got his point across & was usually very believable on the mic, and that's something that doesn't get talked about a lot. Do I believe what you are saying? And that is a major problem I have with alot of the younger talents because I really don't. Most of the examples I'd use would be from WWE as they operate in that heavily scripted environment, but for TNA, let's use Robbie E here. I don't believe in whatever it is the guy is saying. He's not convincing as this character and it feels like something that TNA came up with in 5 minutes as a reaction to The Jersey Shore rather than a believable character executed through an organic performance. Bret never had flashy catchphrases except for the "Best there is" bit, but when said things, it felt real, and that was something I always appreciated.

AJ Styles has gotten to that point where, at the very least, I can believe in what he's saying & he gets his point across. He'll never go down as the best talker of all time, but he's good enough, and he can certainly get it done in the ring.
You summed up my thoughts pretty well. I like how you compared AJ to Bret when it comes to mic work because its so true.

I think believability is a very important factor and your right, it seems to rarely be taken into account on here. I mean TBH overall I think its MORE important because the whole point of a promo is to make the audience BELIEVE that what you are saying is really from the heart. Once you get believability down then thats when you can start trying to be more creative, then you can add catchphrases, etc. I think AJ has the believability down and has always had it, hes just now gotta learn how to be more creative with it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just can't take him as a serious heel with his fortune character,I didn't think he was great when he was a heel with russo either.I would rather see him develope as a heel with own personality than a this fortune character but I don't think he should even be a heel at all since he is the one who supposedly built tna and is the face of company.He should be tna's top face but maybe he soon will be.

·
Registered
549 Posts
He hasn't been believable in his heel character, and it doesn't help that in 10 months as a heel he's only delivered one good line. That being said, in the past few weeks he's seemed more convincing. It helps that he's not wearing a suit anymore because it just doesn't look natural on him. I was particularly happy that on Impact! he finally stopped playing to the crowd after his Irish whip/dropkick routine, Hopefully it's finally dawned on him that the crowd isn't actually supposed to like him.
Also, he needs to stop screaming. I get that he has no concept of subtlety and that he can't act, but one screaming retard is enough in TNA.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
I am fairly convinced that AJ will never be anything more than a passable mic worker. Some guys are just great at it, while others will always need to be guided through it. That's just the nature of the beast.

AJ has had moments of exceptional mic spots. Nothing extraordinary, but stuff of higher quality than you'd expect from him - both as a babyface, but more so lately as a heel.

I think I just enjoy his work with Fortune. He definately plays the role well. This is the role he should've been playing beneath Christian and Angle, instead of that cowardly comedic "Prince AJ" bullshit.

Even so, Styles won't ever be phenomenal on the mic. The best they can do is showcase his strengths, which are his athleticism and his high-spots. If working so closely with Christian and Flair hasn't rubbed off on him yet, then nothing will.

·
Perry Karavello
602 Posts

I'll have everyone know that I'm rocking Tenay before it's popular.

AJ is a better now.

I think he improved on the mic lately, and he's been a heel.

I don't know if those two things are related, but Flair seems to have helped a lot.

·
Registered
858 Posts
AJ has more energy with the mic and he has more arrogance, he has gotten better period. He has also been better on the fly, such as saying "you see this belt here" at Dixie. The time of improvement started when he aligned with Flair. AJ has been heel before, and he wasn't as good as he was now.
Probably mentored by Ric Flair behind the scenes, and for the better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts