Matt Hardy teleporting.
Dodgy gimmicks.
No selling finishers.
Flippy floppy choreographed gymnastics.
Win/loss record being ignored.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
what you talking about? Matt Hardy is just a vessel, he is 3000 years old and his name is Damascus. He was also betrayed by Judas. He was there with Martin Luther King during the "I Have a Dream" speech

·
Registered
23,485 Posts
I mean, depends on what your idea of a "pure wrestling promotion" is. If that means a very no nonsense, sports centric type of promotion, then no, they're not. They've never been. I mean their first few shows featured a dark cult and a guy who thinks he's a dinosaur. And since then they've added an alien and a guy who can teleport.

AEW is basically if WCW, PWG, ROH, NJPW, and Lucha Underground all had a baby together, which has lead to some amazing things and not so amazing things.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Magic super powers is the bridge too far. I'm very likely out if they continue with that garbage for Hardy. Luchasaurus isn't a dinosaur like Drago was a dragon - he's a dude wearing a Dinosaur mask who one I guess could maybe argue at most "self identifies" as a dinosaur or at least has a strong affinity to them. Statlander isn't an Alien like Aerostar was a time traveling spaceman - she's just a weirdo who believes she is.

Matt Hardy was friggin teleporting. He was given super powers. He goes from being half-cracked and believing the shit he's spewing to be true to being a X-men like mutant.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Teleportation was ridiculous. all they had to do was dim the lights and cut to him being in the ring, which would obviously be teleportation but leaves room for doubt like a magic trick, maybe it wasn't hardy at the top etc.

This shit was just so stupid it felt like it burried wrestling to me like at the end of a movie the character wakes up from a dream and it was all a dream.

·
Registered
8,928 Posts
Am I missing something? Because tomorrow I acknowledge aw from day one has ever been a pure wrestling promotion. He'll even New Japan is not

Only thing I could say is a ew still is trying to find its identity because it's not really anything sending out that different. It's just not brutal like WWE

·
Registered
16,838 Posts
You can't please everyone. First everyone was saying it was only wrestling based and you need gimmicks and promos, then they do more gimmicks and promos and people complain lol. Lets say this, it's in reality a mix of flippy and old school. In other words, it's a great mix lmao. I like this.

Guys i dont think the teleporting will happen every week. Although a bit cringe, i actually found it funny and liked it :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
You can't please everyone. First everyone was saying it was only wrestling based and you need gimmicks and promos, then they do more gimmicks and promos and people complain lol. Lets say this, it's in reality a mix of flippy and old school. In other words, it's a great mix lmao. I like this.
[/QUOTE]
Not reality a mix of flippy and old school
only flippy
You are deceiving yourself
Just Cody, Dean and Chris old school
The rest Monkeys flippy

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Guys i dont think the teleporting will happen every week. Although a bit cringe, i actually found it funny and liked it :D
Once is enough. It gave a friggin character super powers. You can't undo that. You can't say "well, it's just pro-rasslin' and was all in good fun". A character on the AEW television show has super powers. Full Stop.

And it was completely unnecessary other than to feed into Matt Hardy's "I'm a creative super genius" delusion. Could have left Hardy speaking from the balcony. Could have had a body double facing away from the camera on the balcony and have the lights go out and then Hardy appear in the ring. Whatever.

Instead they gave a character super powers. Can they can't even backtrack and say it was camera trickery because Jericho reacted to it live on live television.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Spiritual successor to World Championship Wrestling imo.
Was TNA not that first

WCW had extreme highs (97-98) and extreme lows (92-93 and 2000-01) in it's short 13 year run. Not sure why any promoter would go out of their way to copy or be a successor to a promotion with such a turbulent history.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts