Wrestling Forum banner

Is AEW becoming WWE lite?

61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Matt Sydal and Matt Cardona were unnecessary, I agree. Vickie could have been a good hire as she has a big personality which the womens division could use. Miro is so loved by a portion of fans, it makes sense to try and use that to bring over fans. Unfortunately AEWs booking of Miro fucking sucks. So basically the signings aren't bad. The booking is.
Cardona is another one, why was he there? Guy looked like a million bucks and has great charisma don't get me wrong but he came in for like 3 appearances as Cody's back up in a 10 man tag or whatever it was. That spot could've been given to a young guy who could've used the rub from Cody (If that is even a thing)

I agree, most of these people have potential but bring Miro in when you need a big man heel and have a spot for him, Vickie as well, debut her when you need someone to make a big run towards the women's title. These people are just being hoarded but it's weird because Vince doesn't really want them...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Cardona is another one, why was he there? Guy looked like a million bucks and has great charisma don't get me wrong but he came in for like 3 appearances as Cody's back up in a 10 man tag or whatever it was. That spot could've been given to a young guy who could've used the rub from Cody (If that is even a thing)

I agree, most of these people have potential but bring Miro in when you need a big man heel and have a spot for him, Vickie as well, debut her when you need someone to make a big run towards the women's title. These people are just being hoarded but it's weird because Vince doesn't really want them...
Yep absolutely agree about Cardona. Should have used the spot to give somebody on the roster a rub.

You could bring people in when needed like you said, or have the flexibility to use people when they are hot. They could have held off on Miro until he was needed but hes hot right now so bring him in and use him. There was a genuine desire to see the guy do something when he got released by WWE. Don't bring him in and make him a joke act.

The whole womens division is a mess. Abadon had a special debut which I personally was interested in. It went nowhere. Same with Vickie and Nyla. Big Swole beat Britt at All Out and disappeared for weeks. Britt was somewhat hot and then lost her first match against Big Swole. Hikaru is missing for weeks sometimes.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,949 Posts
I would say, aside from the Jericho and MJF segments, AEW has been pulling back from being WWE-lite ever since All Out 2020. Which has been a very good thing in terms of how AEW is perceived by the masses and those that have stopped watching because those viewers found them too similar to WWE.

But, I think AEW is getting less of a pass for the way they write and follow up on storytelling and events as a whole. Fans are realising that there is a double standard for criticizing WWE while praising AEW for the exact same approaches. And the critiques goes beyond the low quality of the past two anniversary episodes. Look at all the loose ends below:

Why did Cody dye his hair blonde again after returning with a darker look two-to-three weeks ago, when the Dark Order is clearly not finished with him or Brandi? Are we supposed to think he only looked like that because he lost his toy?

Why do we never hear from Shida or Nyla & Vickie, or Brandi, or Anna Jay, or Thunder Rosa on Dynamite? Why only Britt Baker? If its cause Baker’s the self proclaimed “face of the division,” why does it not play into stories more that she gets more tv time than the rest of the division?

Where is Billy Mitchell/when’s Kip Sabian’s bachelor party happening?

Why no follow up on Team Taz asking Will Hobbs to join them?

Why no follow up on Tay Conti being recruited by Dark Order (which was inexplicably exclusively on social media)? Or Shawn Dean’s interest in the Dark Order via tweet after being squashed by MJF?

Where is “Hangman” Adam Page? Where is Kenny Omega? Since when does longform storytelling involve taking both parties involved off tv at the same time? With no explanation?

WTF is going on with the QT/Allie/Blade angle? What’s taking so long for her to turn on QT and join back up with B&B? For that matter, why hasn't Kingston followed up on it?

Why is Abadon ranked, but we never see her on tv?

Why did AEW have a random draw for a fatal four way for the next tag title contenders, when they have four ranked teams after Best Friends (Young Bucks, Natural Nightmares, The Butcher & The Blade, PnP)? And considering that two of the ranks teams were selected anyways, what was the point of it?

For that matter, why do we have an Eliminator tournament to crown a new number one contender, when the ranking system exists and Scorpio Sky is the only one in the rankings to not get a shot at Moxley? And the W/L records for 2020 are supposed to reset in several weeks at the beginning of next year anyways?

Why is Darby Allin getting a shot at the TNT title, when he has unfinished business with Team Taz? Why isn’t he going for Brain Cage’s FTW title instead? Wouldn’t Cage going over Allin be a good way to establish that the FTW title is a hoss title going forwards?

Where is the MJF-Wardlow story going?

Are we supposed to believe that PnP are cool with not getting help in their match with Best Friends several weeks ago from the rest of Inner Circle, even though OC assisted Best Friends in the same match?

How come Jurassic Express never asked or petitioned for a rematch with FTR, considering the original ref got KOed by the Bucks before the match started and the replacement ref never saw FTR cheat to win?

Are they going to follow up on that Archer failed to live up to the deal made by Team Taz and Jake Roberts? Or is that going to be forgotten too?

None of this would be tolerated if it was WWE.
I think for the most part here, you've mistaken stories alternating TV weeks as being taken off TV, not everybody is on every week.

Kips bachelor party/wedding - I guess this'll happen when it happens. I'm not sure they need to constantly update us with this. It's not like they've forgotten about it. They are legit getting married aren't they?

Hobbs/Taz - They asked, he declined, they tried to beat him up but Darby came to the rescue. It's been, what, one week since that occurred? AEW's roster size means that not every storyline will progress every week, especially when this most recent episode wasn't very storyline-heavy, but rather focused on championship matches.

Conti/Dark Order - There has been follow up to this on BTE. I think this is just ongoing and other stories have taken precedent on a two hour show. Until we see Tay Conti on Dynamite again, we can't really say.

Alli/Blade/QT - this is the only one I'd say it looks like they've truly forgotten about. Especially as it seems like Brandi is onto a different feud now. I imagine QT having to isolate due to coronavirus put a halt to this and over the last few weeks they've been building towards to the title matches on the anniversary show more.

Regarding the TNT title - I don't believe competitors are based off rankings and ever have been. Hence why the likes of Starks, Quen, Sonny Kiss, Kingston, Warhorse, OC and now Darby Allin have all been given title shots.

MJF/Wardlow - Again, this is a slow burn. People moaned they were rushing it, wouldn't surprise me if AEW saw this negativity and held back on it. MJF still demeans Wardlow every now and then and Wardlow being in the world title tournament instead of MJF might play into that - we'll see.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I think for the most part here, you've mistaken stories alternating TV weeks as being taken off TV, not everybody is on every week.

Regarding the TNT title - I don't believe competitors are based off rankings. Hence why the likes of Starks, Kingston, Warhorse, OC and now Darby Allin have all been given title shots.
Not everyone is on every week but even though I don't really like him, Kenny should be on TV every week and so should Hangman.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts

Kips bachelor party/wedding - I guess this'll happen when it happens. I'm not sure they need to constantly update us with this. It's not like they've forgotten about it. They are legit getting married aren't they?
Yeah, but if they are making a legit marriage a tv angle, and the bachelor party is a part of it, surely there is some sort of follow up or an announced date to look forwards to?

Hobbs/Taz - They asked, he declined, they tried to beat him up but Darby came to the rescue. It's been, what, one week since that occurred? AEW's roster size means that not every storyline will progress every week, especially when this most recent episode wasn't very storyline-heavy, but rather focused on championship matches.
Actually he gave a non-answer, since Darby intervened. Hobbs technically never said yes or no to Taz’s offer.

Conti/Dark Order - There has been follow up to this on BTE. I think this is just ongoing and other stories have taken precedent on a two hour show. Until we see Tay Conti on Dynamite again, we can't really say.
AEW needs to stop thinking everyone watches BTE regularly. I didn’t bother watching BTE when they were in NJPW and I’m not going to start now. Put this stuff on tv.

Alli/Blade/QT - this is the only one I'd say it looks like they've truly forgotten about. Especially as it seems like Brandi is onto a different feud now. I imagine QT having to isolate due to coronavirus put a halt to this and over the last few weeks they've been building towards to the title matches on the anniversary show more.
QT was on Dark a week ago, so he’s done isolating. No reason AEW can’t finish this storyline now.

Regarding the TNT title - I don't believe competitors are based off rankings and ever have been. Hence why the likes of Starks, Quen, Sonny Kiss, Kingston, Warhorse, OC and now Darby Allin have all been given title shots.
I did not mean the TNT title. I mean that since Allin is feuding with Team Taz, why didn’t he challenge for the FTW title, and why didn’t Tony Khan use such a challenge to help establish the FTW title as a hoss title going forwards, if that’s the long term plan for that belt? I’m not saying Allin can’t challenge for the belt; in fact i expect him to win it and defend against Ricky Starks soon.

MJF/Wardlow - Again, this is a slow burn. People moaned they were rushing it, wouldn't surprise me if AEW saw this negativity and held back on it. MJF still demeans Wardlow every now and then and Wardlow being in the world title tournament instead of MJF might play into that - we'll see.
I think part of the confusion that that I'm not sure what AEW is really doing with MJF.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,949 Posts
Yeah, but if they are making a legit marriage a tv angle, and the bachelor party is a part of it, surely there is some sort of follow up or an announced date to look forwards to?
Then it'll happen when it happens.

Actually he gave a non-answer, since Darby intervened. Hobbs technically never said yes or no to Taz’s offer.
And considering this past week they focused on the title matches - maybe this'll be followed up within the next few weeks.

AEW needs to stop thinking everyone watches BTE regularly. I didn’t bother watching BTE when they were in NJPW and I’m not going to start now. Put this stuff on tv.
Hopefully next time Tay is on Dynamite, we'll see a follow up.

QT was on Dark a week ago, so he’s done isolating. No reason AEW can’t finish this storyline now.
Then yeah - they should.

This is the only one you've mentioned that hasn't really been followed up on or looks to have been dropped.

I did not mean the TNT title. I mean that since Allin is feuding with Team Taz, why didn’t he challenge for the FTW title, and why didn’t Tony Khan use such a challenge to help establish the FTW title as a hoss title going forwards, if that’s the long term plan for that belt? I’m not saying Allin can’t challenge for the belt; in fact i expect him to win it and defend against Ricky Starks soon.
Again, Darby has only really been seen as the next challenger for 3 days. Next Dynamite when Cage and Starks get their TV time, this is brought up.

I think part of the confusion that that I'm not sure what AEW is really doing with MJF.
That's probably true - Especially since the world title loss. Hopefully this MJF/Jericho thing leads somewhere. Whether it's MJF getting his own cronies, the Wardlow turn, the Jericho turn. Who knows - but hopefully it's interesting.

Ultimately, do you really need a constant, weekly reminder of a storyline's progression? As long as they progress it should be fine. These are undercard stories for the most part. When they have a PPV coming up in which their more important stars have or need stories, the undercard is always going to have a week or two off TV for priority.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Aew is 1 extra entrance away from being the same as wwe😂 i hope someone got that super bad joke

·
Registered
151 Posts
All their champions are WWE guys except the women's champion.

They've been hiring more and more WWE guys which is something they said they wouldn't do.

Pushing WWE guys over the young wrestlers which was a WCW characteristic. Matt Hardy beating Sammy Guevera and Santana, Chris Jericho beating Jungle Boy, and Cody Rhodes beating Darby Allin and Ricky Starks.

Becoming a place where WWE guys go when WWE doesn't want them anymore.

Only a select few guys get pushed like Cody Rhodes, Jon Moxley, and Chris Jericho.

No the guy that should be push are being misused,and the heels and faces are not being used the right way that's argument.the Dave meltzer and his audience, have more influence over the show is the other argument it has nothing to do with WWE.but companies have emulated what has successfully worked in the past,sadly right now that's not Aew.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Literally half of the roster is ex WWE trash.

I'm still lmao @ TK sayin' they won't be TNA 2.0
TNA signed Angle, Christian, Hogan, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Jeff Hardy in his prime and many many others that were considered top talent. AEW on the other hand is pretending that Matt fucking Sydal is a huge surprise at one of their biggest shows of the year.

On top of that, AEW pushing OC is the same as if TNA was pushing Shark Boy as one of their top stars. This is AEW's prime and they are nothing like TNA in its prime. Call me crazy, but TNA was much better in its prime.

Only thing they are similar in is signing former WWE wrestlers, but I swear, in its prime TNA would actually look at who they were signing instead of just anybody WWE got rid of.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Funny, I could’ve swore I’ve seen many of the current AEW top wrestlers in other promotions before WWE, but clearly my mistake they’re all homegrown WWE cast outs.

Reactions: YTK

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Why is hiring WWE guys a bad thing in and of itself? They have taken guys which were under utilised like Brodie, Miro, and Moxley and given them an opportunity to show their potential. At the same time, we are getting fresh talent like Darby, MJF, Sammy, Eddie Kingston, Lance Archer, and even Orange Cassidy get opportunities.

WWE did the exact same thing in the 90s when they hired Austin, Mankind, Triple H, Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Radicals etc from WCW

But those guys were good. People need to stop comparing mega talent that was pop culture over to a bunch of modern guys all generally the same that most people dont care about and no one outside of wrestling have a clue who they are

But yes they are giving less know self made talent chances which is great. These are the guys capturing people's attention. No offense to wwe guys but being almost entirely brought up in the wwe system actually screwed them. It has tough people to not understand the main points that develop a compelling unque character

·
Registered
23,977 Posts
Ultimately, do you really need a constant, weekly reminder of a storyline's progression? As long as they progress it should be fine. These are undercard stories for the most part. When they have a PPV coming up in which their more important stars have or need stories, the undercard is always going to have a week or two off TV for priority.
This kind of proves @Verbatim17 point about how this wouldn't be accepted in WWE. Monday was the draft, but most weren't taking a "do you need a constant, weekly reminder of a storyline's progression" approach when it came to Ali and Retribution. Meanwhile AEW following up stories on BTE which about only a ⅓ of the audience watches is seen as acceptable valid follow up.

·
Registered
12,065 Posts
I think this is a lame perspective. WWE is THE wrestling promotion and can get almost any talent they wanted, have the best training in the world, and make them popular. On top of that AEW is brand new. Its not like talent had options before.
Cody, Jericho, Omega, Page, Bucks, Lucha Bros, Lax, Cage, Archer, SCU, best friends, MJF, Darby Allin were all signed to companies not WWE pre AEW and most were doing very well

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

lol ya it was pointless but remember just because he looked in great shape it dont mean he was good.He didnt change what so fucking ever from wwe. Why ? he just plays his real life nerdy self that likes to push his wife into the pool and take photos of it.Hes a buff nerd and other than looking physically good dont bring much to the table. These guys all have been brought through the wwe system and lack the ability to create something

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The anniversary show wasn't good but this is becoming ridiculous... just stop watching if you are so much against what they do...

Many people here seems to live at the extremes.
This topic is like an open invitation for guys like Chip Wood to express their hate.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
TNA signed Angle, Christian, Hogan, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Jeff Hardy in his prime and many many others that were considered top talent. AEW on the other hand is pretending that Matt fucking Sydal is a huge surprise at one of their biggest shows of the year.

On top of that, AEW pushing OC is the same as if TNA was pushing Shark Boy as one of their top stars. This is AEW's prime and they are nothing like TNA in its prime. Call me crazy, but TNA was much better in its prime.

Only thing they are similar in is signing former WWE wrestlers, but I swear, in its prime TNA would actually look at who they were signing instead of just anybody WWE got rid of.

except those were all popular talents known. When is this forum going to stop comparing big stand out stars from the 90s to generic modern dudes that are not known
The anniversary show wasn't good but this is becoming ridiculous... just stop watching if you are so much against what they do...

This topic is like an open invitation for guys like Chip Wood to express their hate.

For sure. Its why you haven't seen me on here much lately until the past couple of days. To much shit going on to long ame I'm losing interest. I do believe it will turn around again bit ive been skimming through the show. If it doesn't improve like Impact never did i will stop entirely

Hopefully everyone has this philosophy. Haven't watched wwe in 15 years for the same reason

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
WWE is like communist North Korea, AEW is a western Democracy. I'll always be a fan of AEW simply because they treat their talent very well and respectfully.
Very bad analogy :D
In dictatorial countries, the dictator rules.
In the so called democracies, actually the secret services rule.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
It’s always a danger, but as a new promotion, they are able to set the tone.

If anything, it’s become the ”WWE Land of Missed Opportunities after decades of terrible booking” which I’m more than okay with. They got most of the interesting guys from WWE.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Cody loves H, bought himself a big throne and even attempted a pedigree this past week.

Triple H Jr
His entire persona is based off of Triple H from his ego to wanting to be the center of attention, to his over the top entrance, and his politicing. These are all things Triple H is known for so yeah hes Triple H jr with less talent.

Ahhhh,

So WWE was a WCW-lite in the end?
Again WCW wasn’t WWF lite because their presentation and overall booking was completely different from WWF’s.

Because you'd only moan if they didn't sign guys you'd heard of.

I'm not sure they are relying on Chris Jericho at all. They brought him in because he was the most recognisable name to wrestling fans that they could sign. That's business 101.

No one else is getting pushed? Right now or in general? Weren't Omega and Page the tag team champions for 9 or so months? Wasn't MJF up until recently unbeaten? I keep hearing QT Marshall and Orange Cassidy are being pushed. Have either of them even been in the WWE?

They didn't use their roster in the best way possible at all. Hence why the majority of the undercard people cared about fucking left them. Guess who took them? The WWF. Damn company using another companies wrestlers instead of their own. Tut tut.

Taking shots at another company is supposedly watering it down now. Keep clutching, you'll grab something eventually I'm sure.

Must admit, when I tune into AEW and see Arn Andersen, Tully Blanchard and Tony Shiavone, I instantly think of the WWE. You got me there.
Most of these guys like Luke Harper, Vickie Guerrero, Matt Sydal, and Zack Ryder weren’t needed but they still went out and signed them anyway even though they had no plans for them.

So they’re relying on Chris Jericho since he was the biggest name on the market they could get at the time. Hes in one of the main feuds with MJF now so they’re definitely relying on him as much as possible. The he thing is the feud is boring and isn’t good.

Omega and Page held the belts to keep it warm for WWE guys to come in and take the belts away in their first PPV match, MJF was unbeaten until recently I think but he’s been irrelevant for most of the year and stuck in mediocre feuds, and MJF was on tough enough but wasn’t signed to WWE. Orange Cassidy is a comedy act that no company has wanted since he started but AEW took him in because they thought it’d be a good idea.

WCW did use their roster in the best way possible, hence why the cruiserweight guys chose WCW over WWF at the time. They stopped utilizing their roster in the best way possible in late 1998-01 and that’s when the midcard guys like Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, and Chris Jericho left. So that’s a horrible example to bring up. Also WWF used those guys the right way and they had plenty of success there. None of the WWE guys in AEW are comparable because none of those guys doing anything to lift the company up and grow. Chris Jericho’s star power has declined significantly since signing with AEW, Dean Ambrose isn’t any different in AEW than he was in WWE with the exception being that he thinks hes Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Revival are boring and bland still just like they were in WWE, and Cody Rhodes is just ripping off Triple H. There’s nothing different about AEW, hence why its WWE lite. Theres even a meme out now with the saying “All Ex WWE guys.” That’s the appetimy of WWE lite when someone looks at the company and sees ex WWE guys and make a meme about it.

Taking shots at WWE is watered down, because it just shows that AEW are desperate for attention and has little brother syndrome and wants WWE to acknowledge them so they talk about WWE on a daily basis.

No the guy that should be push are being misused,and the heels and faces are not being used the right way that's argument.the Dave meltzer and his audience, have more influence over the show is the other argument it has nothing to do with WWE.but companies have emulated what has successfully worked in the past,sadly right now that's not Aew.
That’s the whole point Im making the guys who should be pushed aren’t and are being held back because they’d rather push ex WWE guys over them. Cody Rhodes said last year they were going to appeal to smarks and not casuals so I’m not surprised by their booking and their habit of trying to please Dave Meltzer and other dirt sheet guys.

Everyone here including @Chip Chipperson and @The Wood are allowed to express their own opinions so if they want to tear AEW apart for the things they don’t like then that’s their right.

61 - 80 of 138 Posts