Wrestling Forum banner

Is AEW becoming WWE lite?

41 - 60 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I think this ship sailed a year ago.

Those people saying well the guys have got to work somewhere, everyone has worked in WWE so it's going to happen at some point or WCW had WWE guys. I get that, But when Jericho and Cody in the beginning are saying we don't want to be WWE and we are only looking at 4 or 5 names from WWE and then 40 or 50 guys come in. It's apparent what they're trying to do, they actually want to be WWE under a different banner.

Also WCW never filled their lineup with WWE guys. They only ever had certain guys.

It's not the issue that they're bringing in these guys either. It's the fact that alot of smarks in here claimed these guys were buried in WWE or weren't being used right and then they have even worse roles in AEW.

It's like you have Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, 2 of the greatest tag team performers of all time, you have Billy Gunn of Smoking Guns and New Age Outlaws fame, yet The Young Bucks who have never really made it to the mainstream are in charge of your tag division. It's shit like that, that gets people's goats up. Why even bring them in at all.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
All promotions have leaned on wwe guys to build themselves up, Wcw used fucking brutus the barber the beefcake in a main event feud, they also used ultimate warrior as a main eventer when he was way past his prime, lucha underground used the likes of big Zeke, john Morrison, del Rio, mysterio, chavo jr, half of the talents were wwe tough enough try outs etc..

Aew signing wwe guys is not the issue at all, it is purely down to putting out a compelling booked wrestling show that has it's own identity like the two former shows I mention in this post and this is the areas where aew lacks in.

I've said it before but I think aew would be on the right track if they had 3 mens titles consisting of a cruiserweight title, heavyweight title and the TNT title becoming the open weight title so that we dont see a complete segregation between small and big guys feuding with each other and they would also have to treat all 3 titles on a equal footing so that any talent can have the potential to become a real main event attraction, it would do wonders for the small skinny guys that have talent and charisma but currently all have ceiling because it looks silly with them being competitive against filled out heavyweight looking dudes.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Sure but it takes a real piece of shit to brag about it publicly.

Right @bdon?
Goddamn. People will refuse to open their fucking eyes. This is some low-life shit. Yes, firings have to occur. Bragging about taking food off a working man’s plate (even one who made a big time mistake) just makes you a shitty person.

“No one man or entity ownsahh Pro-Wreshhhhhling!”

But apparently it’s ok to believe yourself to be the son of the king of Pro-Wrestling. Fucking bleach blonde dipshit.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Goddamn. People will refuse to open their fucking eyes. This is some low-life shit. Yes, firings have to occur. Bragging about taking food off a working man’s plate (even one who made a big time mistake) just makes you a shitty person.

“No one man or entity ownsahh Pro-Wreshhhhhling!”

But apparently it’s ok to believe yourself to be the son of the king of Pro-Wrestling. Fucking bleach blonde dipshit.

I was just talking to a buddy of mine yesterday and we said a Cody Rhodes’ ego is killing the company. His insistence on being in the spotlight is a Triple H move and its funny because he hates Triple H but yet hes doing the exact same thing in AEW.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I don't know what you talking about but I don't think you do either. In any case wcw was stacked with ex wwe guys including most defenders of company against nwo. Bottom line who cares??
How's WCW doing these days, Pippen?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I was just talking to a buddy of mine yesterday and we said a Cody Rhodes’ ego is killing the company. His insistence on being in the spotlight is a Triple H move and its funny because he hates Triple H but yet hes doing the exact same thing in AEW.
Cody loves H, bought himself a big throne and even attempted a pedigree this past week.

Triple H Jr

·
Registered
539 Posts
Neutrally I heard about AEW, they took some of the best talent working outside WWE and the ex WWE employee and created a huge buzz
Sold out shows, Billionaire owner, hot talent, and from what I was reading were looking to both battle the WWE and create a more wrestling based alternative

The first I saw of AEW was a battle royale with a few people I recognised, some Japanese guy throwing oil over himself, a guy with no legs lying prostrate on the mat, Sunny Daze, and yeah Wrestlecrap's bonafide Gooker award winner, although that guy Adam Page looked a real star

Ive no idea why I bothered again, saw the end of Moxley v Hager, think out of sheer boredom and once a fan always a fan of wrestling watched Dynamite

Never going to please everyone ever, but it had a lot going for it, real talent, people I recognised, beautiful ladies, great production, really good intro music, legends calling the matches, there is something to enjoy

However for all its brilliance and absolutely huge potential so much is absolutely bloody absurd! And that has to fall at the feet who is running the show, the hardcore might not like it but Cornette is only pointing out the truth in 95% of his podcasts and the absurdity is killing the product and the chance of the promotion growing.
The Naysayers are actually bothered because they want the promotion to succeed

Joey Janela is actually less absurd than Archer beating up some official or jobber everytime we see him
Sonny Kiss is less absurd than The Young Bucks superkicking officials
Just put that into perspective

They used to do it with Goldberg but when you have Moxley coming out from the back for his match, I'd love him to get lost round the building like Spinal Tap, now that really would be good comedy

·
Registered
626 Posts
Why is hiring WWE guys a bad thing in and of itself? They have taken guys which were under utilised like Brodie, Miro, and Moxley and given them an opportunity to show their potential. At the same time, we are getting fresh talent like Darby, MJF, Sammy, Eddie Kingston, Lance Archer, and even Orange Cassidy get opportunities.

WWE did the exact same thing in the 90s when they hired Austin, Mankind, Triple H, Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Radicals etc from WCW

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Why is hiring WWE guys a bad thing in and of itself? They have taken guys which were under utilised like Brodie, Miro, and Moxley and given them an opportunity to show their potential. At the same time, we are getting fresh talent like Darby, MJF, Sammy, Eddie Kingston, Lance Archer, and even Orange Cassidy get opportunities.

WWE did the exact same thing in the 90s when they hired Austin, Mankind, Triple H, Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Radicals etc from WCW
Nothing wrong with hiring the WWE guys if they're good fits for your roster.

So for example, you assess the AEW roster currently they need some compelling characters and some more technical wizard wrestlers so if they can get a guy from the WWE to fill those spots of being a character (Like a Bray Wyatt for example) or a technical guy (Pick one) they'd be good pick ups.

What they don't need is the likes of Vickie Guerrero (Clearly had no plan for her), Miro (Don't need more big guys), Sydal (Don't need more flippy guys) etc etc.

AEW tends to sign these talents and hoard them. Vickie Guerrero has legit had 5 and a half minutes of TV time since signing with the company. Why was she signed? Miro is fucking around with Kip, even Shawn Spears is playing a role that a younger future star could be playing.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,950 Posts
WCW was a true alternative to WWF is what I meant. It was beating WWF because of the NWO but you also had the underneath guys that people tuned in for as well like Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, and Rey Mysterio. WCW was more than just the NWO. It was mainly because of the NWO ye,s but like I said the cruiserweights and the other midcarders like Booker T contributed as well. Even WWE acknowledges this and admitted it in a documrntary.
Ahhhh,

So WWE was a WCW-lite in the end?

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Ahhhh,

So WWE was a WCW-lite in the end?
Again, different.

WCW to WWE is kind of like New England signing a player from the Chiefs. Two teams that are good and aren't desperate for the scraps from the better team.

WWE to AEW is kind of like Jacksonville signing a second string player from New England simply because he's from a winning team.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,950 Posts
They keep hiring WWE guys and aren't building anyone who wasn't a WWE guy. They're relying on Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley who made their names in WWE and no one else are getting pushed except Cody Rhodes and The Revival who also made their names in WWE.

If they were booking the young guys better then there would be less complaints about the WWE guys at the top but they've screwed up with MJF who lost to Jon Moxley and is now in a crappy feud with Chris Jericho, Ricky Starks debuts and immediately loses to Cody Rhodes, and Matt Hardy comes in and beats Sammy Guevera and Santana.

WCW had WWF guys on their roster but they weren't WWF lite because they used their roster the best way possible, hence why they were beating WWF in the first place. They were an alternative to WWF and had a different presentation and even had things like the cruiserweight division that set it apart from the WWF. AEW has none of that. It's just rehashing WWE storylines like the Chris Jericho and Mike Tyson segment they did not to long ago, and the top guys are all WWE castoffs from Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley, Cody Rhodes, and The Revival. Not to mention Brodie Lee, Jack Hager, and Lance Archer. I didn't even include the other guys like the commentators and the agents backstage and other backstage personnel whom are WWE guys.

AEW is WWE lite since its watered down by the fact that they constantly take shots at WWE, most of the guys in the company are ex employees of WWE, and the top guys there are ex WWE guys like Cody Rhodes, The Revival, and Jon Moxley. Anyone checking out AEW at first glance will see the company and immediately see Jim Ross, Arn Anderson, Dean Ambrose, Tully Blanchard, Chris Jericho, Jack Swagger, Tony Schiavione, Jake the snake Roberts, and Lance Archer and they'd see a company littered with ex WWE guys.
Because you'd only moan if they didn't sign guys you'd heard of.

I'm not sure they are relying on Chris Jericho at all. They brought him in because he was the most recognisable name to wrestling fans that they could sign. That's business 101.

No one else is getting pushed? Right now or in general? Weren't Omega and Page the tag team champions for 9 or so months? Wasn't MJF up until recently unbeaten? I keep hearing QT Marshall and Orange Cassidy are being pushed. Have either of them even been in the WWE?

They didn't use their roster in the best way possible at all. Hence why the majority of the undercard people cared about fucking left them. Guess who took them? The WWF. Damn company using another companies wrestlers instead of their own. Tut tut.

Taking shots at another company is supposedly watering it down now. Keep clutching, you'll grab something eventually I'm sure.

Must admit, when I tune into AEW and see Arn Andersen, Tully Blanchard and Tony Shiavone, I instantly think of the WWE. You got me there.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nothing wrong with hiring the WWE guys if they're good fits for your roster.

So for example, you assess the AEW roster currently they need some compelling characters and some more technical wizard wrestlers so if they can get a guy from the WWE to fill those spots of being a character (Like a Bray Wyatt for example) or a technical guy (Pick one) they'd be good pick ups.

What they don't need is the likes of Vickie Guerrero (Clearly had no plan for her), Miro (Don't need more big guys), Sydal (Don't need more flippy guys) etc etc.

AEW tends to sign these talents and hoard them. Vickie Guerrero has legit had 5 and a half minutes of TV time since signing with the company. Why was she signed? Miro is fucking around with Kip, even Shawn Spears is playing a role that a younger future star could be playing.
Matt Sydal and Matt Cardona were unnecessary, I agree. Vickie could have been a good hire as she has a big personality which the womens division could use. Miro is so loved by a portion of fans, it makes sense to try and use that to bring over fans. Unfortunately AEWs booking of Miro fucking sucks. So basically the signings aren't bad. The booking is.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I would say, aside from the Jericho and MJF segments, AEW has been pulling back from being WWE-lite ever since All Out 2020. Which has been a very good thing in terms of how AEW is perceived by the masses and those that have stopped watching because those viewers found them too similar to WWE.

But, I think AEW is getting less of a pass for the way they write and follow up on storytelling and events as a whole. Fans are realising that there is a double standard for criticizing WWE while praising AEW for the exact same approaches. And the critiques goes beyond the low quality of the past two anniversary episodes. Look at all the loose ends below:

Why did Cody dye his hair blonde again after returning with a darker look two-to-three weeks ago, when the Dark Order is clearly not finished with him or Brandi? Are we supposed to think he only looked like that because he lost his toy?

Why do we never hear from Shida or Nyla & Vickie, or Brandi, or Anna Jay, or Thunder Rosa on Dynamite? Why only Britt Baker? If its cause Baker’s the self proclaimed “face of the division,” why does it not play into stories more that she gets more tv time than the rest of the division?

Where is Billy Mitchell/when’s Kip Sabian’s bachelor party happening?

Why no follow up on Team Taz asking Will Hobbs to join them?

Why no follow up on Tay Conti being recruited by Dark Order (which was inexplicably exclusively on social media)? Or Shawn Dean’s interest in the Dark Order via tweet after being squashed by MJF?

Where is “Hangman” Adam Page? Where is Kenny Omega? Since when does longform storytelling involve taking both parties involved off tv at the same time? With no explanation?

WTF is going on with the QT/Allie/Blade angle? What’s taking so long for her to turn on QT and join back up with B&B? For that matter, why hasn't Kingston followed up on it?

Why is Abadon ranked, but we never see her on tv?

Why did AEW have a random draw for a fatal four way for the next tag title contenders, when they have four ranked teams after Best Friends (Young Bucks, Natural Nightmares, The Butcher & The Blade, PnP)? And considering that two of the ranks teams were selected anyways, what was the point of it?

For that matter, why do we have an Eliminator tournament to crown a new number one contender, when the ranking system exists and Scorpio Sky is the only one in the rankings to not get a shot at Moxley? And the W/L records for 2020 are supposed to reset in several weeks at the beginning of next year anyways?

Why is Darby Allin getting a shot at the TNT title, when he has unfinished business with Team Taz? Why isn’t he going for Brain Cage’s FTW title instead? Wouldn’t Cage going over Allin be a good way to establish that the FTW title is a hoss title going forwards?

Where is the MJF-Wardlow story going?

Are we supposed to believe that PnP are cool with not getting help in their match with Best Friends several weeks ago from the rest of Inner Circle, even though OC assisted Best Friends in the same match?

How come Jurassic Express never asked or petitioned for a rematch with FTR, considering the original ref got KOed by the Bucks before the match started and the replacement ref never saw FTR cheat to win?

Are they going to follow up on that Archer failed to live up to the deal made by Team Taz and Jake Roberts? Or is that going to be forgotten too?

None of this would be tolerated if it was WWE.

41 - 60 of 138 Posts