Wrestling Forum banner

Is AEW becoming WWE lite?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All their champions are WWE guys except the women's champion.

They've been hiring more and more WWE guys which is something they said they wouldn't do.

Pushing WWE guys over the young wrestlers which was a WCW characteristic. Matt Hardy beating Sammy Guevera and Santana, Chris Jericho beating Jungle Boy, and Cody Rhodes beating Darby Allin and Ricky Starks.

Becoming a place where WWE guys go when WWE doesn't want them anymore.

Only a select few guys get pushed like Cody Rhodes, Jon Moxley, and Chris Jericho.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think this is a lame perspective. WWE is THE wrestling promotion and can get almost any talent they wanted, have the best training in the world, and make them popular. On top of that AEW is brand new. Its not like talent had options before.

I would expect a mixture. Hell, WWF was full of former WCW talent as well when it was around.

No doubt they need to learn to develop stars and push them.

Also, WCW's issue is that they kept talent down when they were ready. Jericho didn't get a main event sniff like MJF or Darby Allin did.

I think MJF got himself over (not sure how you couldn't push him). I think they did a good job on getting Darby over. And I think they need to do a better job of getting Sammy and Ricky Starks over. I think Jungle Boy is a worker with a lot of potential, but I need to hear him on the mic.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,936 Posts
Not sure WWE-lite means having guys on their roster who came from the top company.

Because otherwise this thread would have probably been "Will AEW ever sign somebody that people have heard of"

Unless of course you believed WCW was WWF-lite when they were on top of the business and absolutely littered with WWF guys who made their name in said company?

Obviously not.

WWE-lite would signify to me a show that's watered down, boring, full of buzzwords, the same matches with the same guys in the same feuds for weeks on end and a heavily scripted roster.

And I'm not sure I get that with Dynamite, so I wouldnt really say it's WWE-lite. It has however veered away from the product we got at the end of last year and back in February. So hopefully post-COVID it can get back to such a level.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
They've got something like 40 former WWE employees, they look like the WWE, sound like the WWE, constantly mention the WWE and rehash WWE angles.

They are WWE under a different name and shittier management

Thanks for your spam post
Thanks for your normal “hur dur everyone worked for WWE. AEW sucks” post.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure WWE-lite means having guys on their roster who came from the top company.

Because otherwise this thread would have probably been "Will AEW ever sign somebody that people have heard of"

Unless of course you believed WCW was WWF-lite when they were on top of the business and absolutely littered with WWF guys who made their name in said company?

Obviously not.

WWE-lite would signify to me a show that's watered down, boring, full of buzzwords, the same matches with the same guys in the same feuds for weeks on end and a heavily scripted roster.

And I'm not sure I get that with Dynamite, so I wouldnt really say it's WWE-lite. It has however veered away from the product we got at the end of last year and back in February. So hopefully post-COVID it can get back to such a level.
They keep hiring WWE guys and aren't building anyone who wasn't a WWE guy. They're relying on Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley who made their names in WWE and no one else are getting pushed except Cody Rhodes and The Revival who also made their names in WWE.

If they were booking the young guys better then there would be less complaints about the WWE guys at the top but they've screwed up with MJF who lost to Jon Moxley and is now in a crappy feud with Chris Jericho, Ricky Starks debuts and immediately loses to Cody Rhodes, and Matt Hardy comes in and beats Sammy Guevera and Santana.

WCW had WWF guys on their roster but they weren't WWF lite because they used their roster the best way possible, hence why they were beating WWF in the first place. They were an alternative to WWF and had a different presentation and even had things like the cruiserweight division that set it apart from the WWF. AEW has none of that. It's just rehashing WWE storylines like the Chris Jericho and Mike Tyson segment they did not to long ago, and the top guys are all WWE castoffs from Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley, Cody Rhodes, and The Revival. Not to mention Brodie Lee, Jack Hager, and Lance Archer. I didn't even include the other guys like the commentators and the agents backstage and other backstage personnel whom are WWE guys.

AEW is WWE lite since its watered down by the fact that they constantly take shots at WWE, most of the guys in the company are ex employees of WWE, and the top guys there are ex WWE guys like Cody Rhodes, The Revival, and Jon Moxley. Anyone checking out AEW at first glance will see the company and immediately see Jim Ross, Arn Anderson, Dean Ambrose, Tully Blanchard, Chris Jericho, Jack Swagger, Tony Schiavione, Jake the snake Roberts, and Lance Archer and they'd see a company littered with ex WWE guys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They keep hiring WWE guys and aren't building anyone who wasn't a WWE guy. They're relying on Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley who made their names in WWE and no one else are getting pushed except Cody Rhodes and The Revival who also made their names in WWE.

If they were booking the young guys better then there would be less complaints about the WWE guys at the top but they've screwed up with MJF who lost to Jon Moxley and is now in a crappy feud with Chris Jericho, Ricky Starks debuts and immediately loses to Cody Rhodes, and Matt Hardy comes in and beats Sammy Guevera and Santana.

WCW had WWF guys on their roster but they weren't WWF lite because they used their roster the best way possible, hence why they were beating WWF in the first place. They were an alternative to WWF and had a different presentation and even had things like the cruiserweight division that set it apart from the WWF. AEW has none of that. It's just rehashing WWE storylines like the Chris Jericho and Mike Tyson segment they did not to long ago, and the top guys are all WWE castoffs from Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley, Cody Rhodes, and The Revival. Not to mention Brodie Lee, Jack Hager, and Lance Archer. I didn't even include the other guys like the commentators and the agents backstage and other backstage personnel whom are WWE guys.

AEW is WWE lite since its watered down by the fact that they constantly take shots at WWE, most of the guys in the company are ex employees of WWE, and the top guys there are ex WWE guys like Cody Rhodes, The Revival, and Jon Moxley. Anyone checking out AEW at first glance will see the company and immediately see Jim Ross, Arn Anderson, Dean Ambrose, Tully Blanchard, Chris Jericho, Jack Swagger, Tony Schiavione, Jake the snake Roberts, and Lance Archer and they'd see a company littered with ex WWE guys.
I thinks they need to highlight Starks and Sammy more, although I'm not sure Starks should have won on his debut.

MJF will clearly be a star and they highlight him a lot. Not sure why you think he's ruined.

Also, its fine that you think AEW is WWE lite, but I'm not sure I follow what that means with the WCW comment. WCW was literally on top because of the nWo and primarily because of Hogan followed by Hall and Nash.

Is your point that Jericho and Moxley suck and shouldn't be where they're at? Or WWE sucks and anybody from there sucks? Or that MJF, Sammy, Starks or Jungle Boy should be the champ? Or something else?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Honestly if you want to be on TV you do have have guys with TV experience to guide the people without it through. Like Darby and Sammy are now acclimatised to TV. Believe me without veterans like Jericho or mox the company would have died on TV.

The issue I have is the WWE style comedy. We have had juicings and faces saying weenies and cinematic WWE comedy matches. And just recently we had a WWE style segment that inadvertently buried your tag title match.

You can not have your "audience" not watching a match. I get its to get to a mini feud but there was another way to get there. Not to mention feuding over a machine is like WWE starting matches with Twitter beef

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
AEW is a bunch of mostly undercard WWE retreads and indy guys who probably shouldn't be on TV thrown in a blender and allowed to be unscripted and TV 14. I do enjoy it more than WWE because the matches are called in the ring, its more edgy, and the promos are unscripted, so by default its better than WWE, which is trash, but its very, very far from perfect. It's an entertaining show if you don't take it seriously, much like WCW was in 2000.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't care if AEW signs WWE wrestlers if there is a legitimate reason for doing so. I haven't watched WWE in 20 years so when I think WWE I think predominantly of Matt Hardy, Chris Jericho, and Dustin Rhodes. Everything Matt has done in AEW has been cringeworthy. They have pissed away any upside Jericho had with the OC angle and Dustin is a little long in the tooth and should retire. Cody is a damn glory hound that never should have beat Brody in the rematch. I love FTR but the last couple weeks they I haven't watched them because of the garbage teams they were up against. Moxley needs to lose the title because he's much more inreresting when he's hungry.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The roster having a lot of former WWE guys doesn't bother me that much, stands to reason that a good chunk of people in the business would have stepped foot in the biggest wrestling company in the world, and honestly I never liked the argument that someone doesn't have value because of where they used to work since that can be said about a lot of companies, hell you can even spin it back that WWE used a lot of former WCW guys in the 90s and 2000s (some of which end up being their biggest stars like Stunning Steve, Mean Mark and Terra Ryzing, hell even guys like Chris Jericho or Eddie Guerrero) or even today where they're using a lot of former Impact people, so where someone used to work doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

However they are "WWE lite" in the sense that they have some very similar booking styles like how they put together a show or their ways of setting up stories, the biggest difference seems to be instead of relying on DQs to protect people they're relying on fuck finishes with the ref distracted too much, or just putting together matches where you can't really give someone a decisive loss so they'll just resort to a competitive match ending in a draw or something like that to set up a rematch anyway. They have a solid roster but don't make time for everyone resorting to the same handful of guys, they try to make mediocre episodes of Dynamite feel like a big deal when it's just an average episode, and to a much lesser degree than WWE it feels like they can get stuck on a feud that should be conclusively over and might resort back to that same story again.

Also I don't mind some comedy in wrestling, but there's a lot of comedy moments that get a pass because they happened in AEW that would get people complaining like hell if WWE did it. I'm not saying there's no good comedy in AEW, but not everything is a winner but gets a pass even though it's WWE level comedy.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thinks they need to highlight Starks and Sammy more, although I'm not sure Starks should have won on his debut.

MJF will clearly be a star and they highlight him a lot. Not sure why you think he's ruined.

Also, its fine that you think AEW is WWE lite, but I'm not sure I follow what that means with the WCW comment. WCW was literally on top because of the nWo and primarily because of Hogan followed by Hall and Nash.

Is your point that Jericho and Moxley suck and shouldn't be where they're at? Or WWE sucks and anybody from there sucks? Or that MJF, Sammy, Starks or Jungle Boy should be the champ? Or something else?

Starks shouldn't have faced Cody Rhodes in his first match because he was always going to lose. Thats why he should've debuted against someone else so he could win his debut match.

MJF was floundering for most of the year and was stuck in meaningless midcard feuds that went no where. They did a little something with him 2 months ago but he ended up losing to Jon Moxley. Moxley has held the belt too long now and should've lost it to MJF.

WCW was a true alternative to WWF is what I meant. It was beating WWF because of the NWO but you also had the underneath guys that people tuned in for as well like Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, and Rey Mysterio. WCW was more than just the NWO. It was mainly because of the NWO ye,s but like I said the cruiserweights and the other midcarders like Booker T contributed as well. Even WWE acknowledges this and admitted it in a documrntary.

No my point is MJF and the young guys aren't getting the spotlight like Chris Jericho and Jon Moxley are. I'm not saying Jericho and Moxley suck (I do think Moxley sucks though). Im simply saying those 2 guys are hogging majority of the tv time and aren't giving MJF, Ricky Starks, and the other guys much time on the shows.

Honestly if you want to be on TV you do have have guys with TV experience to guide the people without it through. Like Darby and Sammy are now acclimatised to TV. Believe me without veterans like Jericho or mox the company would have died on TV.

The issue I have is the WWE style comedy. We have had juicings and faces saying weenies and cinematic WWE comedy matches. And just recently we had a WWE style segment that inadvertently buried your tag title match.

You can not have your "audience" not watching a match. I get its to get to a mini feud but there was another way to get there. Not to mention feuding over a machine is like WWE starting matches with Twitter beef
I agree they needed big names to draw but the issue is the younger guys are being overshadowed by the WWE guys. If they spotlighted the younger guys more then the criticisms would deminish.

WWE has its own issue that it still has to get passed like Tag division, pushing boring guys, and bad storylines.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Just like WWE? I dunno they seem to have more flaws in certain areas. At least the authentic promo delivery is there, the tag division is more solid, along with having more of a hardcore presence. But is it more compelling? Not really. Dynamite is back and forth from being tied to Raw or worse than Raw in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Just like WWE? I dunno they seem to have more flaws in certain areas. At least the authentic promo delivery is there, the tag division is more solid, along with having more of a hardcore presence. But is it more compelling? Not really. Dynamite is back and forth from being tied to Raw or worse than Raw in my opinion.
It’s better than Raw at the moment, but behind Smackdown by a decent margin, in my opinion.

·
Registered
759 Posts
AEW seem to be following in the footsteps of TNA. Like with TNA , ex-WWE guys get pushed to the moon and prominently featured, like TNA they recreate what WWE did in the past (only a matter of time before AEW remakes the "screwjob"). AEW even have their own Jeff Jarret in Cody Rhodes.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts