Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love finding different types of ironies in things, so let's post some funny/interesting ironies that can be found in pro wrestling. I'll start off with a few:

1. Bischoff gave a speech backstage around October '97 where he assured everyone that the WWF would be out of business in six months. Six months later (April 1998) turned out to be the month that WWF ended their dominant ratings streak instead.

2. Bischoff told Austin that a guy who wears plain black boots and black tights was hard to market and that he would never become a star looking like that. Yet this is the same look that Austin maintained when he left for WWF and became the main force that shifted momentum against WCW in the Monday Night Wars.

3. #30 is supposed to be the most coveted number in the Royal Rumble, yet there's been more people that drew #1 and #2 (the worst numbers of the whole match) and won than there have been who drew #30.

·
Registered
975 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am disappointed in your lack of replies, gents... I thought this would be a fun topic to take part in.

I'll just add another, which is something Raven or Al Snow (can't remember which) once said: The irony about pro wrestling is that the wrestling itself is the least important part. The charisma of the superstars and the drama and storylines that accompany them are what get people's attention the most and draw money.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It's ironic that the door in cage matches seem like a way easier escape route than climbing the sides, but somehow it's very rarely the way the match is won.

It's ironic that the Hell in a cell is touted as such a devastating structure, when it could be considered less dangerous than a regular cage. Sure it's got a roof. But the walls are much further away from the ring. Meaning you have far greater odds of being smashed into steel in a cage match. Whereas it's technically 100% possible to have a normal match inside the cell, without ever touching metal.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts