Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
That was my favourite Takeover match last night. To be fair I always knew Io was quality and she does ooze Charisma, but I was wowed by Candice. Always liked her but always thought she'd be one of those mediocre, average girls on the roster. She definitely kept up with Io last night and has some great moves in her arsenal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
To me its a pretty easy heel turn to write, Io's the champ now so she starts getting cocky and thinking she doesn't need friends and the success is more important than friends, etc etc.

Its a different story, but it works, to me anyways. It all really depends though on who the next challenger for Shayna ends up being, and how that goes.

I like the Io heel turn, so I'm definitely not arguing against it, but its just kind of left a hole in the NXT women's division for title contenders currently.
Something like that definitely could have worked.

But I think this version of Io, at least starting out, is better with having a chip on her shoulder. Having to work for something she believes is hers. Plus, what you're suggest was kind of already done by Asuka to an extent.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I never really paid attention to Io before her heel turn...but damn she's got my attention now.

Good stuff...low key cutie too.

Reactions: Mahmenn

·
Premium Member
17,157 Posts
They are not going to take the title off of Shayna until it's Royal Rumble weekend time. Io would be a good candidate. But for some strange feeling I see Dakota Kai being the one to dethrone Shayna.
I had a feeling after Shayna dropped the title Dakota would be So Shauna's last match, be overcoming her fear.

I agree I'd like to see that story conclude, some Babyface redemption :mark

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts
I don't see Dakota being the one either. She's spent the last 1.5 years jobbing to every other woman on the roster pretty much. She would be in the same boat as Mia Yim. Except probably even worse off.

Plus you have to factor in with all of the time and energy they are pouring into Io's character right now, she's gonna be champion sooner or later. So Dakota dethroning Shayna may be fine for now, but odds are incredibly high she will get completely murdered soon after for the title.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
It's not if but when with Io. At this point Shayna is just a lame duck champ. I don't know how they get there nor do I care that much as long as they do. Her reign is already getting overshadowed by the Io stuff.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
She's doomed anyway, look at what they did with Asuka.
She'd be incredibly lucky to even get half as much as Asuka got on the main roster. Some white chicks on the roster who've been around since 2016-2017 are still waiting for their first title match.

Well, she is only 29. I mean if you stick around long enough maybe you get your Kofi Time. So maybe 2028

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts
It's not if but when with Io. At this point Shayna is just a lame duck champ. I don't know how they get there nor do I care that much as long as they do. Her reign is already getting overshadowed by the Io stuff.
Yup. They gave Shayna a brief 20 second mention tonight, but gave Io an entire 3 minute video package and hyped up said package at least twice during the show.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I had a feeling after Shayna dropped the title Dakota would be So Shauna's last match, be overcoming her fear.

I agree I'd like to see that story conclude, some Babyface redemption :mark
Which would be nice especially when you consider when was the last time we had a redemption moment from a Face. Gargano beat Ciampa last year, but then got sucked into Ciampa's world and became as sick and twisted as he was and never got that final redemption as Ciampa got injured and had to relinquish the NXT title. Kairi Sane never got that redemption moment from Shayna Baszler after getting screwed over by Shayna and her buddies. Ember Moon never got her redemption moment against Asuka.

When was the last redemption moment: Bayley beating Sasha 4 years ago at Takeover: Brooklyn or was it DIY finally beating the Revival at Takeover: Toronto in 2016? As good as NXT can be when crafting these stories, they absolutely suck when it comes to paying it off.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yup. They gave Shayna a brief 20 second mention tonight, but gave Io an entire 3 minute video package and hyped up said package at least twice during the show.

I think the worrying thing is that Shayna is being promoted for future NXT events in late-September, so she's not leaving anytime soon. And then you have Io Shirai on the warpath. Are we going to have the same scenario as last year where we had every single viable Face being fed to Shayna & Bianca except now this time around we're replacing Bianca with Io.

That is not a very good scenario if they're hoping to rebuild the Women's division.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
I think the worrying thing is that Shayna is being promoted for future NXT events in late-September, so she's not leaving anytime soon. And then you have Io Shirai on the warpath. Are we going to have the same scenario as last year where we had every single viable Face being fed to Shayna & Bianca except now this time around we're replacing Bianca with Io.

That is not a very good scenario if they're hoping to rebuild the Women's division.
I don't recall Bianca getting half as much story spotlight as Io has.

They actually specifically:

...Spent the last 3 months carefully crafting an Io heel turn (where even when she lost her matches she got the main highlights in them eg. chair moonsault on Shayna, flipping off the top of a steel cage to her possible death)

...Gave Io and Candice preference over the women's title match (which hasn't happened in forever)

...So yes, they've put a ton more time into Io lately than Bianca ever got. All Bianca had was announcers saying she was undefeated.

The last time someone without a title got this treatment was probably Bayley on NXT and we know what happened with that story. When they care about someone a lot, you know it.

I think Shayna is definitely dropping the title at some point very soon. She hardly has any matches on TV anyway so she won't be going over anyone from now until the next Takeover which is when she will possibly drop the belt.

·
Custom User Title
6,554 Posts

I think the difference with Io though is that she can easily be positioned as a tweener. Not a full blown heel. People are going to cheer for her, no matter what she does. May as well lean into it and make her a tweener who hates both faces and heels.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the difference with Io though is that she can easily be positioned as a tweener. Not a full blown heel. People are going to cheer for her, no matter what she does. May as well lean into it and make her a tweener who hates both faces and heels.

Aloof demeanor with great wrestling plus flippy shit = yay ?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The worst kind of tweener is the one that blatantly has made it clear it hates the fans but the fans cheer them anyway.

Cole, for instance, gets away with this because while he's an obnoxious heel he has really never come out and say he hates fans. This isn't the case with Io. Io right now hates every single fan and wrestler on earth except herself. Irregardless if that is arousing to some fans, it would be like her spitting in your face and telling you to die, and then people asking for more abuse, which is kinda well, weird.

The point logically shouldn't be lost here to stick to the program. Io from the moment she tried to kill Candice with a steel chair became a full-blown heel. I may be off but I don't think this is why creative is going to push for a reboot of a condensed, bitchfight Shayna-Io feud anytime soon. If I had to wage, I would say they are going to have Shayna lose the title at some point in a 3-way or fatal 4-way situation. Io being the best possible choice to win it for the title change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The worst kind of tweener is the one that blatantly has made it clear it hates the fans but the fans cheer them anyway.

Cole, for instance, gets away with this because while he's an obnoxious heel he has really never come out and say he hates fans. This isn't the case with Io. Io right now hates every single fan and wrestler on earth except herself. Irregardless if that is arousing to some fans, it would be like her spitting in your face and telling you to die, and then people asking for more abuse, which is kinda well, weird.

The point logically shouldn't be lost here to stick to the program. Io from the moment she tried to kill Candice with a steel chair became a full-blown heel. I may be off but I don't think this is why creative is going to push for a reboot of a condensed, bitchfight Shayna-Io feud anytime soon. If I had to wage, I would say they are going to have Shayna lose the title at some point in a 3-way or fatal 4-way situation. Io being the best possible choice to win it for the title change.
People are going to cheer her, it happens when you put the title on Shayna for two years.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts