Wrestling Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 1372 Posts

·
Custom User Title
6,835 Posts
Toni has never been fast in the ring, and it showed quite a few times in all of her matches. Every other woman in the ring can run circles around her speed wise. And her offense is pretty sloppy. No idea why, but it is.

·
Marking for The Boss and The Queen
4,711 Posts
Glad it will main event one of the nights.

I have a feeling Io will drop the title though....

·
Registered
27,109 Posts
I see this as the end of Io's reign. Raquel is the only woman in NXT they've built who feels right as Io's successor. What that means for Io's future after that I have no idea.

·
Custom User Title
6,835 Posts
I see this as the end of Io's reign. Raquel is the only woman in NXT they've built who feels right as Io's successor. What that means for Io's future after that I have no idea.
I honestly think it depends. Raquel is definitely going to be a massive step down in terms of quality. Plus I can't see her reign lasting very long either considering how shallow the face side of the division is.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
IDK where else they go if Io beats Raquel. Who’s left for her, she’s beaten pretty much everyone else with any kind of build up.

As for Raquel, if they give her the belt, it’ll be an interesting test for her. She’s looked impressive, but they’ve also protected her a lot in the booking. Giving her the title and telling her to essentially lead the division, that’s a very different thing.

It’s be interesting to see if she’s ready for that yet.

·
Custom User Title
6,835 Posts
IDK where else they go if Io beats Raquel. Who’s left for her, she’s beaten pretty much everyone else with any kind of build up.

As for Raquel, if they give her the belt, it’ll be an interesting test for her. She’s looked impressive, but they’ve also protected her a lot in the booking. Giving her the title and telling her to essentially lead the division, that’s a very different thing.

It’s be interesting to see if she’s ready for that yet.
Its why I am very wary of Raquel as champion. The vast majority of her ringwork since her return (since she cost Tegan at Takeover) was either tag matches or working with women significantly better than her. She is going to be expected to elevate greener talents similar to what Io is doing. And I don't think she is capable of doing so since the majority of her matches against smaller women is just tossing them around the ring, with a few hope spots that last less than a minute. No one has come out of a feud with Raquel looking better than they entered.

And at the end of the day, NXT places a lot of emphasis on the in-ring product.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I can agree to an extent. I thought having Candice or Toni winning the belt and giving Raquel more time to grow would have been the better option.

But right now, there’s really no one left to credibly challenge Io. Unless they bring someone new in maybe?

·
Custom User Title
6,835 Posts
I can agree to an extent. I thought having Candice or Toni winning the belt and giving Raquel more time to grow would have been the better option.

But right now, there’s really no one left to credibly challenge Io. Unless they bring someone new in maybe?
It's possible they bring in someone new (they have talent waiting in the wings). The problem is that Raquel could possibly be champion, but she absolutely should not be a long reigning champion either. I can see her reign easily being between Kairi and Ember's reigns length wise. Because she's already ran over a large chunk of the division as it stands, and no one is going to be elevated from losing matches against her.

The problem basically boils down to Raquel being an average (at best) wrestler who only really stands out when she's in the ring with women who are much better than her. NXT is going to be taking an absolutely massive risk putting the title on her if it happens, because if it blows up and she flops, it's going to almost completely destroy the prestige of the title. Which it came close already with Shayna's second reign, Rhea's reign (although this wasn't entirely her fault), and Charlotte's reign. Only once Io won the title did it feel important again.

Io worked hard to elevate the title back to the upper echelons of the show, enough to warrant it being on the same level as the men's title. I don't think it's necessarily a hot take to say that Raquel is going to drag the title down, at least a little bit. And that's the best case scenario. Worst case is Raquel's reign completely bombs and drags the title down entirely. And this time they won't have Io to salvage it assuming she's on the main roster. Candice, Toni, and Dakota all have a severe lack of credibility or real fan investment (Toni especially, on top of all three being solidly in the heel column). Sarray has yet to debut. Ember and Shotzi are in a tag team and I don't see either of them getting the title until both improve dramatically in the promo department.

It doesn't help that Raquel is a potential PR disaster waiting to happen considering she's anti-mask and has said some pretty controversial shit on social media. The same type of stuff that WWE gets a lot of heat for. If one of her statements ever gains traction (and they will if she becomes champion), then NXT is going to be in deep trouble.

·
Custom User Title
6,835 Posts
Well after that match tonight, I feel a bit more confident in Io retaining. She got completely manhandled by Raquel and then took a nasty table bump after the match.

Raquel also looked pretty fucking mediocre as well. All of her offense was pretty basic, on top of her big boots and chokeslams looking dangerous or incredibly lazy.

1281 - 1300 of 1372 Posts