Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this for a while because there has been discussion about the NFL hosting a Super Bowl in London and many professional sports are trying to host big events internationally.

I know the WWE held some pay-per-views in England, such as Insurrection and an English No Mercy. In addition, New Year's Revolution 2005 emanated from San Juan. I know there are many on this forum from all over the world who would love to be able to attend WrestleMania or any other PPV in their home country.

Since I am an American, it works out great for me, and I have no complaints about the system. However, the WWE might benefit from doing more than just a Raw or house shows in other countries. Obviously, the time differences would be difficult to deal with, but WWE fans internationally make sacrifices to watch shows live. If a PPV aired live from London, we would just have to watch it in the afternoon. We dealt with it for the World Cup and it was no problem.

I am in favor of having one PPV outside the US and Canada per year for now. There are many countries throughout the world that would have a lot to offer the WWE if it decided to host a PPV there. It would be great for a country with rich wrestling tradition like Japan to host one.

Just my thoughts; I am interested to see what my fellow Americans and others throughout the world have to say.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VLR said:
It'd be great, but even if it did happen, the only places the WWE seem to think exist outside North America are England and Japan.
They do a two week tour of Australia, but otherwise, I agree.

Samee said:
There HAS to be a WrestleMania at Wembley in the future. There simply has to be.
Since WrestleMania has been using the largest stadiums in the world, such as Reliant and University of Phoenix, it really only makes sense that they use Wembley. Wembley was built for events like this.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
There HAS to be a WrestleMania at Wembley in the future. There simply has to be.
It will never happen.

WWE would lose out on too many US buyrates because it would air in the middle of the afternoon. People don't want to watch PPV's in the middle of the afternoon.

·
Registered
9,573 Posts
It will never happen.

WWE would lose out on too many US buyrates because it would air in the middle of the afternoon. People don't want to watch PPV's in the middle of the afternoon.
I am one of the few, but I would, the worst part of the day of Wrestlemania is the waiting until 7 pm, if it was earlier in the afternoon I wouldn't mind, I would still order it because it's still Wrestlemania.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
What time is WrestleMania on usually in the States? 8-12 central? If you think of the child demograph WWE have, it makes sense to have a PPV earlier because we're talking about a Sunday night before school. Most won't be able to stay up that late, and certainly won't be able to convince a parent to buy it.

The biggest issue with Wembley (England in general), is the very high probability of rain in March/April. The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff is more suitable with a roof, but we all know Wales will never be on the agenda because it isn't glamourous enough. Not to say London is btw. What I do think we'll get is a PPV in England to test the waters first, bigger than Rebellion/Insurrextion, but smaller than WM. Over The Limit is a perfect example for a trial out. If the buy rate bombs, any future plans are simply scrapped.

Ultimately, I personally think the closet we'd get is another SummerSlam in Wembley.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
WWE should have a Europe specified PPV.

So every year, that ppv happens in europe. I know people will be like "but time zones means taped ppv so ppl will look at spoilers"

Do you really think people who are on the internet that know good sites to get spoilers would order wwe ppvs? I'd say of all wrestling fans on the internet, maybe like a few thousand at most actually order the ppvs.

SD gets like 2M viewers on a friday night and it's taped. So thats proof right there people will still watch the ppv.

It'd be a good change too having a ppv designed to happen in europe. So instead of the same old ppvs every year, this ppv feels different since it's in a big crowd place.

June would be best time to have it since its 3 months after WM,2 months before SS.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most NFL games are on at 1 and 4 PM EST on Sundays and tens of millions of people watch them. Tens of millions of people will not buy WrestleMania, but the fact remains that people watch sports prolifically on Sundays. The NBA is on network television on Sundays, as well. I think the WWE would not lose too many purchases by having an afternoon PPV. As mentioned, the prudent course of action would be to hold a test run. Regardless, the buzz and excitement of an international PPV could compensate for the loss of buys.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
The main problem with doing PPV outside America is the time difference, people generally want to watch PPV live and not taped, given the 5 hour time difference between the UK/America the show woule wither have to start at 1am in England (in which case travel arrangments for thousands of fans would be crazy) or the live PPV would have to air mind-day Sunday in America and I'm sure there's financial reason why it isn't viable, church, american football games, w/e you guys get up to mid-day on sundays would take away from the number of people interested in watching the PPV.

When the WWE did Summerslam in England they taped it a few days before they aired it and from what I've heard fans watching on PPV didn't like it. It was a hit on the day and has since been a hit on VHS/DVD releases.

Every year when they are set to announce where Wrestlemania will be held, I hold my breath in anticipation that they'd say Wembley, even though I know it's never gunna happen. If that day did come it would literally be a dream for 10's of thousands of British fans who would be able to finally get to travel the event and I'm sure it would sell out pretty much straight away. I'm not too sure how quickly Mania sells out over in the States, but I remember hearing during the week of Mania this year that there was some tickets left. That would defo not happen over here, there's too many people just waiting to go and fill Wembley with 90,000 people and watch Mania in our own back yard.

·
Registered
417 Posts
all this talk of timezones etc. But surely if the WWE held a PPV which started at say 11pm GMT it would air at the right time in the states.

And before people say how can u start a big event at 11pm.....some bigger music acts dont go on stage til around half 10.

Also, Summerslam came from London once, so it has been done........why not again!

·
Registered
247 Posts
For all the American's moaning about time differences - we have to stay up until like 4am to see any PPV live, even to see RAW live, so I'm sure you guys could manage it being a little earlier in the day just once.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For all the American's moaning about time differences - we have to stay up until like 4am to see any PPV live, even to see RAW live, so I'm sure you guys could manage it being a little earlier in the day just once.
Exactly, that is why I am not opposed to it. I am sure some people would love to have WrestleMania earlier in the day, so they are not awake until midnight on a Sunday night. It would be even earlier on the Pacific coast, but they watch football at ten in the morning. The NFL has gone to London successfully the past three years. I would really like to see one international PPV a year. Many American crowds are complacent. It would be entertaining to see a hot crowd that is exposed to something it has never seen before.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This is something the WWE will give a thought to in future. Because today the WWE market is very big worldwide despite not being as big as it once was in the US (and North America in general). During the attitude era, WWE did not have reach to so many different countries like they have today.

I mean in countries like India, Khali is damn popular, and Cena has a huge fan following, so perhaps doing a Raw once a year could draw more people from India to WWE. Similarly UK has a strong following so doing smaller PPV's there, would help get more audience to such shows.

As much as WWE avoid accepting the fact that UFC is a big threat; it surely is. WWE have a great worldwide appreciation for its product, and need to ensure these fans stay with the company, and this can be done by regular visits to Europe, Asia, Australia, and so on.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Since they're touring Australia as we speak. If they stayed a couple of more weeks they could've held Summerslam out there. Maybe at an outdoors venue somwhere. Though it is winter out there lol.

They did a huge show out there in 2002 as part of their Global Warning tour. 56,700 people packed.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think three years ago, there were news reports that Shane McMahon had major plans to really globalize the WWE. I am unsure of what happened to those plans, but I think the WWE can capitalize on the rest of the world increasing its spending power. As posted above, Global Warning is a perfect example of international success.

·
Premium Member
27,697 Posts
Here's the difference, the majority of people who watch the shows and buy the PPVs are the majority and you guys are the minority. Doesn't make sense business wise to cater to the minority.

Buyrates for Mania are already down and you want to move it to the afternoon? Lol.

·
Premium Member
18,092 Posts
Yeah it's not really about people staying up to 4am but rather the WWE losing out on a ton of money through Buyrates by choosing to host it anywhere other than The US. The only real possible way to air it in the UK will be to have it shown over here from around 7pm or so. The highest they could go up to is 9pm really and even then for the US thats around 2 - 4pm in the afternoon. Not many people would order the PPV around that time of the day.

The only other option would be to tape it and broadcast it later on to the US but the WWE wouldn't even there risk Mania results getting leaked online before the show.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Buyrates for Mania are already down and you want to move it to the afternoon? Lol.
The buyrates are down because the build up to this year's Mania sucked ass, with the exception of HBK/Taker II.

The build up to every other match was just half assed, and it didn't seem like anyone really seemed to give two shits about it to be honest. The timeslot has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Here's the difference, the majority of people who watch the shows and buy the PPVs are the majority and you guys are the minority. Doesn't make sense business wise to cater to the minority.

We're not saying Mania, just a PPV. And as has been said in this thread, WWE aims itself at a PG Audience, most of whom have school on a Monday morning and will be sent to bed around 9.30 or 10pm - so having it earlier in the day in America does actually make a bit of sense in that respect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts