Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Great Q and A. He seems like a very down to earth guy.

And to anyone who thinks Red is just a "Spot Monkey", skip to 7:47 in Part 1. Hope that shuts up the haters.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
- Xplosion doesn't mean sh*t
- Sticking Don West with em wouldn't make given him much mic time, managers aren't there to simply stand beside someone.
- If a person is good, you don't need to pay their dues.
- Just because he's capable of submission wrestling doesn't mean he's not a spotmonkey.
When he wrestles all he does is high flying moves, so he's a spotmonkey.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I like Red.

I've always hated the term "Spot Monkey".

I just think what Red does is just another style of wrestling. Just like Bryan Danielson has his style, and Stone Cold Steve Austin had his style.

I liked what they were trying to do with him and Don West. I think they should have kept it going. Or since Don prefers running the Merchandise Dept, put him with another manager or valet.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
- Xplosion doesn't mean sh*t
- Sticking Don West with em wouldn't make given him much mic time, managers aren't there to simply stand beside someone.
- If a person is good, you don't need to pay their dues.li
- Just because he's capable of submission wrestling doesn't mean he's not a spotmonkey.
When he wrestles all he does is high flying moves, so he's a spotmonkey.
Let me explain. It makes no sense for anyone to put down Red for his highspots because thats what his character is tailor made for. Having Red do anything BUT high-flying moves would look goofy because the guy is just way too small to make things like submissions, wrist locks, power moves, etc. seem believable.

The term 'spot monkey' is based off of a misconception that was created by smarks who think they know the business. Dissing Red for sticking to highspots would be no different than dissing Batista for sticking to power moves, or The Undertaker for not chain-wrestling, etc.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Let me explain. It makes no sense for anyone to put down Red for his highspots because thats what his character is tailor made for. Having Red do anything BUT high-flying moves would look goofy because the guy is just way too small to make things like submissions, wrist locks, power moves, etc. seem believable.

The term 'spot monkey' is based off of a misconception that was created by smarks who think they know the business. Dissing Red for sticking to highspots would be no different than dissing Batista for sticking to power moves, or The Undertaker for not chain-wrestling, etc.
Red doesn't have a character, he's just a small wrestler who no one would want to see if he was'nt a high flyer.

Until he started to actually use submissions, he will continue to be a spotmonkey.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Red doesn't have a character, he's just a small wrestler who no one would want to see if he was'nt a high flyer.

Until he started to actually use submissions, he will continue to be a spotmonkey.
He should not use submissions. Bad business/character move.
Nobody is paying money to see Rey Mysterio's mad wrestling skillz.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
He should not use submissions. Bad business/character move.
Nobody is paying money to see Rey Mysterio's mad wrestling skillz.
The reason that he's strictly a high flyer doesn't matter, the fact is all he does is high flying moves.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think Red should use more submissions, just as a way to eventually lead up to the high octane series of spots that usually occur in the second half of X Division matches. Either way Red should be used more, there are enough X Division wrestlers in TNA to have a decent division, but lately they find it necessary to only have it be 2 at a time

·
Comin' at you like a double-fisted kangaroo
21,054 Posts
Does it even matter what Red can do? All he's there for is to get squashed and then disappear for months. And at this point no one would buy him doing submission moves on anyone, let alone guys like Ray.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
The term 'spot monkey' is based off of a misconception that was created by smarks who think they know the business.
Damn straight. Some of the most entertaining TV comes from big spots and high-flying moves. If you don't find it entertaining then that's fine, but assuming it makes Red less of a performer than anyone else, you're a fucking idiot. 90% of the WWE roster couldn't do what Red does.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i gotta say when i've watched red on tv wrestle he always puts on solid matches. i would have to say this is one of the guys that probably needs to be on tv more often on the roster. i think they could probably do a whole lot more with him. lethal has been off tv a while too it seems compared to earlier in the year when he was cuttin awesome promos with flair. those 2 guys should really be the focus of the xdivision atm along with kendrick.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Oh look, idiots calling someone a spot monkey without knowing what "spot monkey" means. What a surprise.

It doesn't mean someone who relies on high-flying moves.

It means someone who relies on SPOTS.

ie., someone who can't wrestle a match properly and just goes from one SPOT to another, with poor storybuilding, bad pacing, no real flow to the match and poor transitions between moves.

Red doesn't do that, hence, he's not a spot monkey. He's a high-flyer, and a very good one, but that doesn't make him a spot monkey. There's no need to "prove wrong" the people who say he is, just like there's no need to prove wrong people who think the earth was created 5000 years ago. Just ignore them, they're idiots who don't know what they're talking about.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh look, idiots calling someone a spot monkey without knowing what "spot monkey" means. What a surprise.

ie., someone who can't wrestle a match properly and just goes from one SPOT to another, with poor storybuilding, bad pacing, no real flow to the match and poor transitions between moves.

Red doesn't do that, hence, he's not a spot monkey. He's a high-flyer, and a very good one, but that doesn't make him a spot monkey. There's no need to "prove wrong" the people who say he is, just like there's no need to prove wrong people who think the earth was created 5000 years ago. Just ignore them, they're idiots who don't know what they're talking about.
Yea its the same idiots who call Jeff Hardy a spot monkey, or Rey Mysterio. Highflyer =/= spot monkey.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts

I know the exactly definition of a spotmonkey.

I'm a fan of Amazing Red's and have been watching him since he started in TNA & ROH.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts