Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bourne Better
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that I would like to see happen in the future is the probability Intercontinental / Promotional matches.

When your brand name incorporates "World Wrestling" in it, it should imply that you welcome all competitors.

I was watching a SMASH match in which Serena Deeb was on tour, came in, wrestled one of their better known female wrestlers and they had a decent length match (around 10 minutes.) Once the match was over, Serena had beaten SMASH's girl and it was incorporated into a storyline in which a female stable came out and picked at her body like vultures. Tajiri made the save, and it furthered a story, and it showed that wrestlers from other promotions exist and are credible threats.

At the moment, when wrestlers in other circuits come into WWE for tryout matches, they end up getting squashed in 3 seconds by whomever they're high on at the moment. I feel like they should take a better route with it, give the lesser-known competitor a few minutes of build up, and let them go toe-to-toe in a 10 minute match with the person they want to put over.

If a Japanese / Mexican / wherever wrestler were on tour and were able to compete in one of these matches, it would accomplish a number of feats.

A: It would gain publicity for WWE from that wrestler's place of origination (given they're a semi-decent name. Think if Mistico went on tour and made a guest appearance on WWE before being signed. WWE view rates would have gone up in Mexico, and CMLL interest would have gone up in the US) and vice versa.

B: It would show that WWE wrestlers can put up a fight instead of needing to just squash anyone who isn't in their ranks.

C: It would give a new meaning to the Intercontinental championship. Basically, whoever is holding the belt would be the chief candidate for competing in these matches. Currently, nothing says intercontinental like two Americans trading the belt back and forth.

I'd also like to see WWE / Chikara / ROH / TNA etc... wrestlers be able to compete against eachother on one another's shows under extra special circumstances... but I won't hold my breath on that one.

TLDR: Stop squashing outside talent.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: 1andOnlyDobz!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not bad idea, but sadly according to WWE, there is only 2 promotions: Raw and Smackdown.

That said, they do exist. Sheamus and McIntyre did some matches on the undercard of RAW during the UK tour before they joined on a full-time contract.

·
Banned
266 Posts
There used to be a short term cooperation like that between WWE and i think AJPW in the 90's.I would love ot see that,but as Equimanthorn said,according to WWE,only 2 promotions in the world exist,Smackdown and Raw.

·
StarStruck
2,038 Posts
There used to be a short term cooperation like that between WWE and i think AJPW in the 90's.I would love ot see that,but as Equimanthorn said,according to WWE,only 2 promotions in the world exist,Smackdown and Raw.
Wasn't that around 97? That rumble in 97 IIRC had a load of Japanese stars in it.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
YEE HAW!! Pearl Harbour and Barbed Wire Border Hopping, thats the All American way!!:no:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Completely agree. It would be a mutually beneficial agreement. Sadly, Vince in particular has a huge ego and wouldn't allow anybody from another promotion to look like they can compete with the talent in WWE. As far as Vince is concerned, WWE is the big league, and the only promotions in it are RAW and Smackdown. Remember the stuff Michael Cole said on NXT? We all know who was feeding him the lines. TNA did do it a lot with ROH with guys like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Sabin, Shelley, Daniels etc. Hell, even Abyss did some ROH shows. Also, there was the X Cup. They do at least still do talent exchanges (Hernandez, Okada, Sarita to an extent) Stuff like that doesn't happen much anymore though. It's a shame because I would love to see John Cena go up against one of the big guys from say New Japan Pro Wrestling, or CMLL. By CMLL, I don't mean go against Alberto Del Rio, considering he's in WWE. I mean, go against someone like Jushin 'Thunder' Liger. Just imagine the potential turnout. Anyone remember the matches Antonio Inoki had with Bob Backlund and I think Ric Flair? Think he also went against Hulk Hogan too but that could have been before he was WWF Champion. Cross promotional matches can be huge but Vince's ego won't allow that anymore.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Completely agree. It would be a mutually beneficial agreement. Sadly, Vince in particular has a huge ego and wouldn't allow anybody from another promotion to look like they can compete with the talent in WWE. As far as Vince is concerned, WWE is the big league, and the only promotions in it are RAW and Smackdown. Remember the stuff Michael Cole said on NXT? We all know who was feeding him the lines. TNA did do it a lot with ROH with guys like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Sabin, Shelley, Daniels etc. Hell, even Abyss did some ROH shows. Also, there was the X Cup. They do at least still do talent exchanges (Hernandez, Okada, Sarita to an extent) Stuff like that doesn't happen much anymore though. It's a shame because I would love to see John Cena go up against one of the big guys from say New Japan Pro Wrestling, or CMLL. By CMLL, I don't mean go against Alberto Del Rio, considering he's in WWE. I mean, go against someone like Jushin 'Thunder' Liger. Just imagine the potential turnout. Anyone remember the matches Antonio Inoki had with Bob Backlund and I think Ric Flair? Think he also went against Hulk Hogan too but that could have been before he was WWF Champion. Cross promotional matches can be huge but Vince's ego won't allow that anymore.
My only hope is that universe is not that cruel to let this happen.Do you really wanna see Cena "wrestle" Liger or get even near the same ring?

·
Bourne Better
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd rather see decent booking for the guys we have.
Actually, it would be great booking for whomever is Intercontinental Champion.

Which, you know, is a total 180 degrees from what they're currently doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts