Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week's Smackdown proved for sure that Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger and Kofi Kingston should be regular main-eventers, and be competing for the World Heavyweight Championship rather than the Intercontinental belt. They suffer from being on a very poor product right now, but still manage to shine through as often as possible. Tonight's main event managed to hype up the crowd moreso than alot of main events (epsecially Smackdown ones) in recent months. When Swagger kicked out of Kofi's diving crossbody you can see everyone in the crowd react like I hardly ever see them do any more.

Also, on a sub-note, it also shows how these people can, and should, act as a replacement for people like Edge, Kane and Rey Mysterio, who are increasingly showing their age. I'm not nearly as big an ADR mark as other people on this forum, but to be honest I find it kind of embarassing for him to be working with these old lumbering guys and Rey Mysterio, whose moveset is now restricted to about five moves.

So, Kofi, Swagger and Ziggler. Are they ready for the main event?

and Edge, Rey and Kane. Should they retire and allow the guys above to step up?

2011 looks like it could be a year for all these changes to happen.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The problem for Swagger i feel, is that after his h/w title run there is no one for him to have a big feud to give him something to do whilst out of the title picture.

Guys like Sheamus and Cena have big feuds and storylines for them to keep them away from the title picture, whereas Swagger has feuded with Show and Rey, and there isnt another big name for him to feud with on Smackdown, so what better way than to get him involved in the IC title picture.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Kofi i could see as a babyface main eventer and a WHC on smackdown seeing it's the B Brand of the WWE. Kofi easily fits into the PG era of the company with his character and i could see him being a good champ he is a good in-ring worker and has good charisma so i could see Kofi getting a serious push in 2011.

Swagger: they tried to push Swagger and it failed well it's not fair to say it failed they pushed him against Big Show during his run. But Swagger is a good Worker the gimmick is to much of Kurt Angle 2003 to be anything good cos Kurt played the role so well. I think Swagger will be a contender but wont get a long meaningful run something similar to his first run with the belt.

Ziggler: He is ready for the belt especialy now since he is with Vickie though she gets all his heat for him book him as a world champ and have Vickie do the talking for him and just have Ziggler work the match.

Edge this is his last title run he is too beat up for a long run with the belt and i see him dropping to belt to someone at the rumble whoever the #1 contender is at the Rumble.

Kane: Well Kane is more than done they gave him the swansong title run that he should of got i dont know 11 years ago when he meant anything. So he got the run and i think he will go in the next year.

Rey: Stop wrestling i dont think them knees can take anymore especialy at a Main Event babyface level and Rey will not win another world title.

Above all Del Rio is the next big Star Smackdown is about to launch rather than Kofi Swagger and Ziggler

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Kane: Needs to retire. Hasn't had good match in years. His promos are ok but I've stopped caring years ago. Needs to retire or at least go back into the midcard.

Edge: He needs to put Del Rio over and then have his inevitable final run with Christian and retire at WM 28.

Rey: Rey can still go and put on great matches and had three strong feuds (Del Rio, Punk, Batista) that didn't have to do with the world title. To me he's still extremely valuable. Though he's probably one shattered knee away from being finished.

Big Show: Same as Kane. Just go away

Del Rio will definitely become main eventer in 2011 and Im hopeful the same will happen for Kofi and Ziggler. Theirn work has been excellent the past couple of years and both deserve a shot at being in the main event.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
While I think Ziggler and Kingston (I still have trouble taking Swagger seriously) are doing an incredible job in their roles on Smackdown, I don't think a permanint main event spot is their calling just yet. WWE has done a great testing of the waters with all three men in different ways. Swagger obviously got his World Title reign - and because it was forced, he flopped. However, he is being worked nicely into the mid-card title scene and I think that it is working well for him...a place he should have been working to improve himself in the first place. I think WWE was uneasy about tossing Swagger into the Intercontinental Title picture so soon after dropping the World Title, but it has proved to be a good move. But that is another conversation for another time.

Ziggler and Kingston are doing an incredible job in their own respective ways and I feel that Kingston may really get his shot at some point in 2011 - he is currently my bet to win MITB. Kingston has truely blossomed on Smackdown, and it has proved to be the best move for him following the 2010 Draft. While a lot of people may knock the outcome to his feud with Orton at the end of 2009, and say that Orton "held him down", I see it in a different light. While Orton does have backstage pull, and I have no doubt played a part in what people like to refer as the de-push for Kingston, he is also not an idiot. He grew up in the business, and understands it better than many. In working with Kingston, it was obvious to everyone that Kingston was on a hot streak, but was missing...something. Something just wasn't complete there. I am refering to Kingston's ring work specifically. My guess, is Orton could sensed this, and who better to pick out the kinks in a budding superstar's ring work than a veteran whose working the very same matches? Besides, to the casual fan, the whole "STUPID, STUPID" thing just fit Orton's character and persona at the time so really, it wasn't a break of kayfabe.

While Orton obviously lost his cool on TV due to Kingston's botch ("STUPID, STUPID") to their last match in 2009's finish, the move is going to work out for Kingston in the long run, and in more ways than one, already has. Since moving to Smackdown Kingston's ring work and over all character has improved dramatically. He is much more fluid in the ring, is executing his regular moves to perfection (something that was simply not happening while on Raw a year ago), and he has gotten the fans so anticipated for Trouble In Paradise, that I think one day, it will reach the level of Sweet Chin Music's climax. Not only his ring work has improved, but the fans are truely behind him - like no other face on Smackdown besides the main eventers. And I don't care what anyone says about his feud with Orton, 50% of the fans were behind him because for who he was, but the other 50% were behind him because he was just the babyface who was facing the top heel in the company. That other 50% that was filled by Orton, needed to be filled with "Kofi support" before he could elevate to the next level. I believe that is just about filled and he is on the cusp of breaking through.

Now as for Ziggler, and I saved him for last on purpose, he is finally proving to everyone the talent he has possessed all along. He was never able to show it before, except here and there with stand out matches with Rey Mysterio or John Morrison, but he was never fully given the time of day. While he would have strong showing in matches, he never was able to truely benefit from the programs he was in. His move set was extremely "heel oriented" before he won the Intercontinental Championship and I think it was WWE trying to get him over as the type of heel who gains heat from slowing the match pace down and cheating out wins, which is a forumla you save for heels who don't possess the athleticism and ring knowledge that Ziggler has. After FINALLY putting the title around his waste and getting some title defenses under his belt, he broke out and was able to really show his in-ring ability - and everyone has taken notice. He is hands down one of the best in-ring workers in the company right now and the fact that he is being able to showcase that talent and broadening his move set extensively have shown the fans that he is the real deal, heel or not. I have a feeling his rise to the top will mirror the likes of Chris Benoit in that he will make people respect him for what he does between the ropes, not necessarily what he does on the mic or anywhere else. Now although I don't think his wait to get to the top will be as long as Benoit's, he will get himself over in a very similar fashion.

I see no reason to pull the Intercontinental Championship off of Ziggler anytime soon as he deserves this long reign, and every day that passes only adds credibility to him...the credibility that WWE lacked to give him for so long. I see no problem with Ziggler feuding with main event level players, and having pay per view feuds with them...hell even over his Intercontinental Championship, because it would give him some experience in working with more top level veterans and bring back prestige to the strap. Think back to Chris Benoit's short feud with Austin in 2000, or Jericho's main event teasers with Triple H (not just his "winning" of the WWF Title on Raw in 2000, but his whole feud with the McMahon Helmsley duo). THAT is how you build up stars over time. Not every up and comer that is working a program with a main event level talent needs to be fighting for the World Title, and conversely not every main eventer needs to be fighting for the World Title or strictly fighting other main eventers either. WWE is making moves to get back to this proven method of building stars, and I can only hope that doesn't get derailed.

Sorry for the long post...but this topic is something I have certainly been thinking a lot about. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Of course these three guys should be in the main event scene. They should have been a long time ago.

I don't care what anyone says about Swagger, WWE is to blame for his push to the main event not working out. They put him in a garbage feud with Big Show and never had him attain a clean title defense over him - instead, they played that stupid "get DQ'ed" card and it made Swagger look like less of a threat. After that, he lost the title to Mysterio and WWE killed all of his momentum and even gave him a mascot. WTF?

Kingston should have been close to the main event by the middle of 2010, but WWE for some reason killed the push he was getting on RAW after his feud with Orton. And don't give me that "it wasn't working, the fans didn't care" crap. Kingston was (is) over and there was no reason why he shouldn't have become a legit contender for the world title sometime in 2010.

I think Ziggler only recently became a possibility for WWE and his reign as IC Champion is what proved him as a future main event star. That's evident by the fact that they gave him two matches against John Cena in one week. They were clearly testing the waters. Ziggler should move up sometime in 2011.

WWE has nobody to blame but themselves for the situation they're in right now. All they've cared about over the last few years is pushing the same old people. If they hadn't wasted all their time on guys who need to retire, SD wouldn't be in the shape that it's in. Taker needs to go. Yeah, I said it. I really appreciate everything he has done, but he's just hogging the spotlight. It's the same old crap. Every time you turn around, he's injured again and plans have to be put on hold or changed. Kane also needs to go. Look, I know a lot of people were very happy to see Kane finally win another world title, and I'll admit that I myself quite enjoyed it for a few moments, but setting aside nostalgia, why is Kane WHC in the year 2010?! This is the reign he should have had in 1998! It's time for him to move on as well. Mysterio - I feel bad for saying this, but I hate Mysterio probably more than any other wrestler on the roster. I'm sure he's a great guy, and I'll never argue that he's not a great performer, but I'm so sick of seeing this little guy pushed to the moon and a lot of times over guys way bigger than him. I was pissed when he won the WHC - both times. And it's the same case with him as it is with Taker. He's injured all the time and half the time it completely ruins a rivalry. Edge is hard for me to say because he is one of my all time favorite wrestlers. Personally, I think Edge still has something to offer and I'm not just saying that because I'm a fan. I think Edge should be in a veteran role, though, and perhaps only be there to put guys over. It is getting time for him to retire, though, and I'm ready to watch him walk off into the sunset while he still has some credibility. I don't want him to be like Taker, Kane and Triple H.

Maybe I rambled a bit, but this frustrates me. The very idea that we are even having a conversation about Kingston, Swagger and Ziggler needing a push pisses me off because we shouldn't be having it. They should already be the big stars of today. I love the veterans, I grew up watching them, but when you can no longer go in the ring, you're plagued with injuries and you're hogging the spotlight, preventing advancement of younger talent, it's time to go.

·
KO
5,350 Posts
Ziggler : After seeing his matches with Cena, and how well he can hang with main eventers - definitely. Tremendous potential.
Kingston : I've not yet seen a match in which he hasn't worked the crowd into madness, is a good mic and in-ring worker. Yes.
Swagger : Oh yes. He worked on his monotone speech, got better with the lisp. Decent on the mic, amazing in ring. Next ME please.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Ziggler's got the look, the feel, and the in-ring ability. Ziggler is the future.

Heck, these GUYS are the future. I don't like Kofi, but I don't think we'll ever see him with the WHC. Swagger really, really, needs to improve on his mic skills. He sounds like a drone! Disregarding that, Swagger has it to make it to the main event. I really liked how the IC Title match was the Main Event for the night instead of ol' usual Kane & Edge & Mysterio... That was the smartest thing to do.
It's time for these guys to shine, not just only Swags, Zigs, and Kofi, but ADR as well. I have no problem, though, seeing ADR win the WHC in the near future.

·
Registered
983 Posts
ALL these men, alongside Masters (He CAN be a main eventer, if his push didn't end in 05/early 06 he would have been a top heel right now in the WWE, his only 27, by 2012 he will be an upper-midcarder, wheter heel or face) Also I predict that Swagger one day will turn face, simply will get over due to amazing matches he puts on. The next 2-3 years, SO many things will be changed in the WWE, pretty much Edge,Mysterio, Kane, Undertaker, HHH, probably Jericho will be retired from in-ring competitio, Christian will be where Edge is right now. Also anyone that thinks Ted Dibiase is down & out, I guarantee a move to Smackdown in the draft will definitely happen, and then will build up momentum again and get over.
By 2013 the WWE Main Event Scene will look something like this..

Heels- The Miz, CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, Ted Dibiase, Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Alberto Del Rio, David Otunga (If he improves in ring, I would love this, yes, now I'm ready to get flamed), Skip Sheffield (Trust me this guy will be big in a few years if booked right, I can see him in Stone Cold type character), Drew McIntyre.

Face- Randy Orton, John Cena,Christian, MVP (Trust me, he will be back, his story will be like Eddie Guerrero's, Eddie got released after a few years, went to Japan, got re-signed, and eventually FINALLY went on to win the big, it will be a Cinderlla Story when MVP wins the big one) John Morrison, Mason Ryan, Jack Swagger, Kofi Kingston & Justin Gabriel

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
After watching the series of Triple Threat matches between Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler and Jack Swagger it reminded me of the last set of great series of Triple Threat matches over the Intercontinental title back in 2000 between Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho when all three men were probably ready for the main event scene but were going through that last test against each other and that is what i think we are now seeing happen again.

A lot of people have talked about Kofi Kingston as a main event wrestler almost from the minute he moved to SmackDown and i think WWE have been right in holding it off because he was still botching a lot in the ring and his mic skills were untested but i will be very surprised if Kofi Kingston does not win Money in the Bank at WrestleMania 27 if they have one but if not then he will almost certainly win at the Money in the Bank PPV. I think he is a lock to be in SmackDown's main event at The Elimination Chamber PPV and i think he will start the match and be the last man eliminated as well to make him look strong.

Jack Swagger was always ready for the main event scene as far as his look and in ring skills go but it was always his mic skills and his lack of ability in drawing heat that was his problem but this year he has worked hard on his two flaws and they are now at a decent enough level to main event on SmackDown and maybe after a couple of years main eventing on SmackDown he will be a great all round in ring performer. I think it will take Jack Swagger two years as a main event wrestler before he really excels and WWE pushing him as the new Kurt Angle does him no favours because he isn't Kurt Angle but he will be a good main event heel if given two years working with the best face's on SmackDown.

I think i can honestly say that i am not the only one who has been surprised by Dolph Ziggler in the last six months because he has been absolutely on fire in the ring and has improved his two biggest flaws which like Jack Swagger were his lack of ability in drawing heat and his mic skills but he has turned them around better than Jack Swagger has and is probably now in pole position of all the heel's on SmackDown for a main event push. If Edge stays face and Vickie Guerrero stays with Dolph Ziggler then Edge/Ziggler would be a lock for me to happen in mid 2011 and that will be the test because as long as Edge is on SmackDown he will always be in the World title scene so he could elevate Dolph Ziggler even more in a long term feud than the two matches with John Cena have done already.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
Dolph Ziggler should become a main eventer soon, Jack Swagger should get back into the main event sometime but Kofi should never make it.

·
New Game. New Rules. New Era.
4,440 Posts
Kofi should be Headlining Mania for the WHC. Dolph should win MITB and win the title from Kofi at Summerslam. Jack Swagger should be nowhere near the main event.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
Dolph Ziggler should be inserted into the main event picture as soon as possible imo, he's basically the full package I think. He's got a lot of charisma, he great in ring, he's got a great look, he's good on the mic. He has it all.

Jack Swagger should also be reinserted into the main event, he's another full package imo. People go on about his mic skills all the time, but I see no problem with them whatsoever, he's fine on the mic. He has a great look, could have a good gimmick if they got behind it and is obviously fantastic in the ring.

Kofi Kingston is the only one i can't see being a champion...I don't know what it is about him, I just can't see it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
It was great to see Kofi get some mic time on this week's smackdown. He didn't get to say too much, but he's good on the mic from what I got to see there. The triple threat match was terrific as well.

I'm starting to warm to Swagger in the ring a little bit, but I still cringe every time I see him holding a mic. He sounds like a complete douchebag when he talks.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I was surprised a IC promo opened the show and a IC match closed the show.
As was I but it's long overdue. IMO, a title match on tv should be more important than a non-title bout between main-eventers, one of who happens to be champion. That rule probablt wouldn't apply with the Diva's title these days due to the poor standard of women's wrestling in WWE these days (although Natalya vs Beth, or even Melina if she brought her A game might be worthy of a Smackdown main-event slot if built properly) but IC and tag-team title matches ought to main-event tv more often.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the people who have stated that Dolph should win MITB.
He shouldn't. He's way better than Kofi. He should legitimately wrestle his way into the Main Event picture, ultimately winning the World Heavyweight Championship.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
Trading Kingston, Ziggler, and Swagger for Edge, Kane, and Mysterio would be an extremely smart decision. Del Rio can come up eventually if he can make his gimmick last.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts