Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Cody Rhodes is the Intercontinental Champ and he missed 3 consecutive SuperShows. 3. Not missed them as in he didn't get in the ring. Missed them entirely. It is so psychotic. Not one backstage segment, match commentary, promo, video package, nobody even says his name and he's got a title match at a PPV in 2 weeks.

All these people whining, "My favorite wrestler got buried. My favorite wrestler got squashed." Cody Rhodes got less match time than Jerry Lawler and less screen time than Tyler Reks.

:no::cuss:

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
As I said before, if you want to bring prestige and awareness for the IC title, Rhodes isn't a big enough name to do it. You need Sheamus or Christian battling for it. Then it would be on Raw every night along with Smackdown. If they really cared about the secondary titles, they have to make it worth something.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
And that's still too good for him.

I can't believe people actually bought in to the notion that he was bringing "prestige" to a title that isn't a world championship. Comedy.
Hes already brought more prestige to it than Barrett has, he is young and and does a great job, hes a future World Champion he deserves tv time, at least a video package, I hear they wanted to rest him for some house show's, who knows, either way its the creative team f*cking up something like always. He still has plenty of time to be huge, Guys like Heath Slater, Orangutunga and McGilliboring can get air time but your F*cking IC Champ Cody Rhodes cant?

·
Asuka
96,238 Posts
Hes already brought more prestige to it than Barrett has, he is young and and does a great job, hes a future World Champion he deserves tv time, at least a video package, I hear they wanted to rest him for some house show's, who knows, either way its the creative team f*cking up something like always. He still has plenty of time to be huge, Guys like Heath Slater, Orangutunga and McGilliboring can get air time but your F*cking IC Champ Cody Rhodes cant?
No he hasn't. For starters, as I've said before, you CAN'T bring prestige to the IC title because the #2 title is #2, not #1. #1 matters, #2 does not. It never had prestige, it can't get it out of the blue. Secondly, how the fuck is he bringing it more prestige than Barrett when Barrett was actually ACTIVE? Cody Rhodes is so bad he can't even get a consistent spot on tv. And no, he's not a future world champion, and neither is Barrett for that matter. The SmackDown roster has NO chance outside of Daniel Bryan for a next first time world champion, simply because for whatever reason they have, WWE has no faith in any of them.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
WWE really should be putting him on a show seeing as he is Intercontinental Champion. It's weird. He isn't on TV but is quite prominent on the Smackdown House Shows and from what I've seen of his most recent match on the House Shows (Paris), he got the job done in terms of getting heat and did so easily. I don't really get it. Maybe they have nothing for him. Hell, maybe they want to keep him strong and don't want him losing matches. I have no idea really but not having a champion on the show isn't helping the prestige of that title, and Rhodes has been doing a good job of making the title relevant whenever he does a promo. However, seeing as 2 of the 3 shows he missed were RAW shows, no point going overboard yet because if he shows up on Smackdown then all will be normal again.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
No he hasn't. For starters, as I've said before, you CAN'T bring prestige to the IC title because the #2 title is #2, not #1. #1 matters, #2 does not. It never had prestige, it can't get it out of the blue. Secondly, how the fuck is he bringing it more prestige than Barrett when Barrett was actually ACTIVE? Cody Rhodes is so bad he can't even get a consistent spot on tv. And no, he's not a future world champion, and neither is Barrett for that matter. The SmackDown roster has NO chance outside of Daniel Bryan for a next first time world champion, simply because for whatever reason they have, WWE has no faith in any of them.
1. He's missed a few shows in the year he has been on Smackdown where he forced himself a spot on TV. I know you're not the biggest fan of Rhodes but missing the odd show doesn't suddenly mean he can't get a spot on TV because he isn't good enough.

2. You mean the guy who WWE used to tease a feud with Orton over the WHC? As for Wade, isn't he another one of those superstars that has been consistently hailed as a future World Champion by guys such as Orton and Cena? You're a Barrett fan but why such cynicism? WWE has put World Titles on guys before they were ready loads of times. Why will they suddenly back out of giving the title to guys like Rhodes and Barrett somewhere down the line?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
And you know what the funny thing is? The Divas, Tag Team, and Internet Champion have all been on supershows, but not the IC champ.

Meaning the IC title is now officially the lowest in WWE. Even less important than Zack Ryder's fake belt.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
And you know what the funny thing is? The Divas, Tag Team, and Internet Champion have all been on supershows, but not the IC champ.

Meaning the IC title is now officially the lowest in WWE. Even less important than Zack Ryder's fake belt.
No offence but that really isn't how you measure which title is more important. It's not even 2 weeks of this supershow thing.

Can't help but feel a lot of people are rushing to conclusions a little bit. I think I'll take a wait and see approach to things.

·
Asuka
96,238 Posts
1. He's missed a few shows in the year he has been on Smackdown where he forced himself a spot on TV. I know you're not the biggest fan of Rhodes but missing the odd show doesn't suddenly mean he can't get a spot on TV because he isn't good enough.

2. You mean the guy who WWE used to tease a feud with Orton over the WHC? As for Wade, isn't he another one of those superstars that has been consistently hailed as a future World Champion by guys such as Orton and Cena? You're a Barrett fan but why such cynicism? WWE has put World Titles on guys before they were ready loads of times. Why will they suddenly back out of giving the title to guys like Rhodes and Barrett somewhere down the line?
1 ~ It was an expression. Of course not being on tv doesn't mean he's literally not good enough for it when fucking Morrison of all people, the worst talent in the company is on tv every week.

2 ~ He may get a feud with Orton but so what? Henry is getting a feud and he's not winning the belt (for a completely different reason, mind you). I've never seen WWE do ANYTHING with Rhodes that suggested to me that he's a future world champion, except beating Rey at WrestleMania, but that died out so fast that he was back to nowhere in no time.

As for Barrett, I've never seen Barrett being hailed as a future world champion by guys like Orton and Cena but their opinion doesn't matter. And frankly, what are they supposed to do when they're asked about somebody, bury them? "Oh, this guy will never get anywhere, he sucks". No, they have to put over their product. They'll probably tell you everybody is a future world champion. Anybody from Alex Riley to John Morrison to Sin Cara to fucking Evan Bourne...whether they will be or not. What's the alternative? Bury the product? The only law is what Vince says, and Vince chose to take Barrett when he was the top heel in the company and SHIT down his throat. He completely buried him when he was super over and dominating Raw in a way that no other heel has done for God knows how many years, ship him to a lesser show, take away all his mic time, put him in a group that was deliberately designed to fail and job him out so many times that he looks worse than Swagger. If that doesn't prove that Vince has NO faith in him, I don't know what does. You might say, well, he got the original Nexus push because they were high on him, but I say the opposite. He was the ONLY guy that could've led that group or they would've failed from day one. If Otunga or Bryan or Gabriel was the leader the angle would've been dead in 2 months. That doesn't prove Vince is high on him, it proves that he knew that Barrett was the only one that could get the angle over, but what happened then? Buried. The way the business works is, when a guy gets super over, you run with that push and you put the world title on that guy. They did not do that with Barrett, they gave him a giant FUCK YOU and pissed in his face.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts

Internet title got more TV time than the IC title

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I remember when The Ultimate Warrior made
the belt look legit when he won it from
The Honkytonk Man back in the day,and nowadays
the internet belt is mentioned more makes me
love my era of wrestling more than todays product.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
No offence but that really isn't how you measure which title is more important. It's not even 2 weeks of this supershow thing.

Can't help but feel a lot of people are rushing to conclusions a little bit. I think I'll take a wait and see approach to things.
Wrong. That's exactly how I measure it. I take things as they are. If things change, then I'll re-evaluate as neccessary.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
btw, just so everyone here knows, a possible explanation as to why Rhodes hasn't been on TV the last week is at the SD house show the other night, he and Dibiase main-evented in a 2 out of 3 falls match for the IC title. They main-evented so Orton etc. could have a rest considering the schedule they worked so looks like Cody has been working a pretty hard schedule too. Would probably explain things.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Wrong. That's exactly how I measure it. I take things as they are. If things change, then I'll re-evaluate as neccessary.
Even though it has been less than 2 weeks? Del Rio wasn't on TV either. Does that mean the WWE Title is less important than the Divas Title? Doesn't make much sense to me.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
WWE can't even promote both of its midcard championships in the month-long build-up to the one pay-per-view whose mission statement is to feature all the company's championships on the line. That is rather startling.

Pyro's hyperbole about Cody, Wade and, well, the entire Smackdown roster notwithstanding, he has a very legitimate point about the recurring "Intercontinental Championship Curse." It's truly the belt they throw on you when they think you're somebody who deserves a pat on the back for some good work but have absolutely no intention of elevating or, in the case of Rhodes thus far, even showcasing.

At least, it's been that way with the last four champions: Kofi Kingston; Wade Barrett; Ezekiel Jackson (seemed like his push started up again immediately following his dropping the belt--see the Torture Rack on Great Khali); and, as of now, at least, Cody Rhodes.

The last man who was actually, actively, elevated by the Intercontinental Championship was Dolph Ziggler. For whatever (fortunate) reason, he and WWE's writers and bookers sought to make his run as Intercontinental Champion at least reasonably meaningful, culminating in a triple threat main event of Smackdown around Christmastime against Jack Swagger and Kofi Kingston. From the involvement of Vickie Guerrero to being positioned as the clear-cut King of the Midcard, which is what being the midcard champion should represent, to putting on a bunch of dazzling matches with the likes of Kofi and Swag and my man D-Bryan, et. al., his very much well-earned reign (dating back to late summer 2009 in his feud with Rey Mysterio over the Intercontinental Championship) was the one time where WWE (more or less) treated the championship and champion as they ought to be, at bare minimum.

Otherwise, it's the Holding Pattern Championship. Either that, or WWE's writers are so incompetent, as in the case of Zeke, they don't realize that merely slapping the belt on the guy won't suffice to sustain his momentum. You have to pour in some more work and effort.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Rhodes is certainly not bad. Maybe people aren't buying his gimmick but consider who WWE is marketed towards. Also, who exactly would be a credible person for him to go up against? Zeke Jackson? Please. The fact is there's just no breathing room right now.

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
There was no way that Cody could've been on the Raw Supershow this week, because they needed someone to main event the house show in France on Sunday night while guys like Christian and Orton flew back for Raw. I'm not really a fan of the guy, but this isn't some sort of conspiracy or punishment. He was still overseas.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts