Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"We have a whole department, a creative writing department. We have more than 20 writers at this particular time," said WWE Executive Vice President of Talent, Live Events and Creative Paul Levesque (aka legendary WWE superstar "Triple H"). "They come from everywhere. From soap operas to late-night television to movies to theater to former wrestlers. Storytelling is storytelling. Some of them are fans and have a wrestling background. Others don't. They might be really good at the relationship part and somebody else has to help them bring it back to the ring. ... It's a staggering job. The thing is it's never-ending. It's not just they write Monday Night Raw. They write about 10-15 hours on any given week of original content."

It's a job that requires both copious creativity and a nimble willingness to meet change head-on. A new week begins Wednesday, after Raw ends Monday night and SmackDown tapes on Tuesday night, with several meetings to flesh out ideas for the next week. Eventually, the rough ideas end up being presented to the lead writing team and senior brass, including WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon, in a giant conference room with a long sturdy table.

On Monday, after days of development, the script hits the hands of the talent and the road team of agents and experts. For main event angles, top talent like Daniel Bryan get a chance to add their voices to the mix. While he'd normally share his thoughts with a road agent assigned to his matches, working with heavyweights like Triple H eliminates a step in the process.

"When I'm working with Triple H, it's easy," Bryan said. "I just tell Triple H what I think. He's very smart as far as what works. If he's bringing you something, it's usually a pretty good idea.

"He's got years of experience working with these top-level, high-level storylines. My brain doesn't work like that. I was on the independent scene so long, I think in terms of matches. 'Oh, this would be a great concept for a match or this would be a great story within the context of a match.' ... And sometimes we might not necessarily agree, and we'd go and talk to Vince."

Once talent has had its cut, the entire creative team gets a final chance to perfect the finished product. Even then, it's not considered truly complete until it hits the air on the USA Network in front of an average audience of between four and five million viewers a week.

"We're tweaking that thing until it's out the door," Triple H said. "It's not done until it's live. And even then, it's living and changing. [John] Cena can go out for segment one, come back and say, 'I'm not feeling this for later.' And he's right.

"The hardcore fans cringe when we say this. But the reality of it is, the story is the magic...and the truth is, though all of our storylines have to end up back in the ring and the wrestling part has to deliver to the point fans say, 'That was awesome, what a payoff,' we're not boxing. ... It's about characters and their relationship. That's a storyline. We are more like the Rocky movie than we are like a sport. The storylines are what's important."
I felt that was the meat of this article. You can read the whole thing here:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-to-life?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=refer

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WWE is still carny just by the simple fact they are trying to sound like a Hollywood studio with sophistication. It's good PR, but then stuff like Demott hits them and everyone gets remembered about old school pro wrestling.

·
Registered
73 Posts

I'll give him credit on what he said at 2:30 and up. That was genius.

Problem is when you see too much of the family aspect of the show, you're not watching it w/ the same enthusiasm.
To forge the enormous chisel physique the pro wrestlers celebrates some have taken shorcuts

what a bunch of fucking cunts ESPN is filled with.

And who the fuck is 11:20? Never heard of him.

·
Team SHIV
3,177 Posts
It's a good read following the link. It looks at Bryan's Mania build last year. You should check it out.
Just read it, lol. It's an interesting perspective, but as the YES movement was happening, it certainly didn't feel like WWE was behind Bryan or listening to the audience. Sounds a lot like they're trying to take credit for something that was solely on Bryan.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
10 - 15 of original content ... creativity .. hollywood .. yada yada
Stop it, Just stop it; it must be embarrassing for them to have to spin everything to act as though the product isn't shit.

Their original content, is laughable & makes it seem as though if they says it's original which it isn't 99% of the time, then some people will give them slack because they have to write so much, yet they always show so little week in week out.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Just read it, lol. It's an interesting perspective, but as the YES movement was happening, it certainly didn't feel like WWE was behind Bryan or listening to the audience. Sounds a lot like they're trying to take credit for something that was solely on Bryan.
Does that surprise you?

They never had full faith in Bryan no matter what happened last year and that was evident this year.

60,006 Posts
Yes, that is their revisionist history at work. I didnt want to spoil that for you. It turned out well so it must have all been planned. ;) We know better, but it still was a good read.

·
Kerser is the sickest.
1,506 Posts
Stop it, Just stop it; it must be embarrassing for them to have to spin everything to act as though the product isn't shit.

Their original content, is laughable & makes it seem as though if they says it's original which it isn't 99% of the time, then some people will give them slack because they have to write so much, yet they always show so little week in week out.
I reckon the saddest thing is their 'film studio'. That is just run on flat out delusion. That shows what their idea of quality is.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
WWE seems to think that lots of writers equals more creativity. What you get is constant compromise. If one guy has an idea and everyone else disagrees they will get shouted down and then it won't make it to tv. Plus I'm sure they all just want to get the script done and wait for their next McMahon bollocking, which hardly aides a free flow of ideas.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
A good 75% of storylines are rehashed from 80s (probably because Vince thinks fans from that era are few and far between so it becomes 'original', hmm sounds like Hollywood no wonder Vince calls WWE entertainment), and occasionally 90s, as are the character rebirths like Hogan sprinkled with Austin = Cena; a lack of credit does deserve to go to HHH for his smooth talking Vince to experiment more that lead to NXT, their much-hyped Development training center, short-lived match concept Elimination Chamber and imo, if isn't from Steph, the Diva's improved focus.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
we sh$t all over wwe,
but at pr they are ok.
WWE and Vince are masters at hype and marketing. It is the reason why WM season is always looked forward and the rest of the year is just there. You know SuperBowl of Wrestling and so on has been completely entrenched in everyone's mind.

Look at Brock Lesnar for instance. They market him brilliantly to the point no one really buys anyone beating him because they enhanced his real life background. THAT is where WWE should focus more on instead of making up "characters" and "stories" they are horrible at.

It says it all in the article when Daniel Bryan pretty much rose to the top WITHOUT the WWE's "story" as all they did was capitalize and MARKET fans getting behind Bryan.

WWE is too much into thinking they are a REAL Hollywood movie studio forgetting what actual pro wrestling is. Vince sure isn't going to win any creative awards for stuff like Katie Vick or HHH humping in a funeral. Yeah, great movies there lol.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Oh it's a thread about creative....time to bash it without reading the article.

"damn Hollywood outsiders"

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
WWE and Vince are masters at hype and marketing. It is the reason why WM season is always looked forward and the rest of the year is just there. You know SuperBowl of Wrestling and so on has been completely entrenched in everyone's mind.

Look at Brock Lesnar for instance. They market him brilliantly to the point no one really buys anyone beating him because they enhanced his real life background. THAT is where WWE should focus more on instead of making up "characters" and "stories" they are horrible at.

It says it all in the article when Daniel Bryan pretty much rose to the top WITHOUT the WWE's "story" as all they did was capitalize and MARKET fans getting behind Bryan.

WWE is too much into thinking they are a REAL Hollywood movie studio forgetting what actual pro wrestling is. Vince sure isn't going to win any creative awards for stuff like Katie Vick or HHH humping in a funeral. Yeah, great movies there lol.
i pretty agree to what you say. there some parts of their hollywood stuff which is good. Well the (please help me with the world ) picturequality of the show is outstanding. The intros are great and wwe is cool of capturing a big crowd in picture. Other stuff you said is not always really good.
I am the type of guy who is pretty ok with the in ring talent of the show, so complains are about the stories and some gimmick which look like an out of touch joke

1 - 19 of 19 Posts