Wrestling Forum banner

Injured before WM?

1344 Views 14 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  DX-HHH-XD
Has this ever happened before? It's an entire month from the February ppv till WM and around that time, that's when all the build happens. Has there ever been a time when an important feud might have gotten canceled or something happened to it due to one of the superstars getting so injured that they couldn't compete?

Imagine if we were gonna see the WM moment with Rock-Cena after Cena wins the title, but it all got ruined cause Cena ended up getting so badly hurt, he couldn't even walk so he couldn't compete in his match or anything like that happened.

26 years of WM, I'm sure some sort of injury had to have happened that ruined the WM card.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Mamba Mentality
25,255 Posts
The card wasn't ruined but Kurt Angle went into WM19 with a neck injury, and the night before WM19 Steve Austin had complications with his heart/breathing.

Oh, Edge suffered a neck injury in early 2003 and he couldn't make WM19.

· Registered
3,204 Posts
26 years of WM, I'm sure some sort of injury had to have happened that ruined the WM card.
Shawn Michaels was supposed to face Bret Hart at Mania 13 and reportedly drop the title. Of course he had that "knee" injury and had to forfeit the belt. I always wondered what kind of buy rate that would have pulled for Vince.

Also I believe at one point in 1999 the main event for WrestleMania 2000 was meant to be either the Rock vs. Austin or the heavily rumored Big Show vs. Austin. Obviously Austin's neck problems kept that from happening.

· Registered
1,928 Posts
Mysterio tore his bicep before No Way Out in 2008, and was scheduled to be a part of the Mayweather/Big Show match, not sure in what capacity. I think rumors at point had Big Show & Shane McMahon against Mayweather and MVP, or Mayweather and Mysterio.

· Banned
2,677 Posts
I think some people are misunderstanding OP's question.

He's asking if anyone has gotten injured a month prior to Wrestlemania when an important match for Wrestlemania is already being built. According to that, Batista's injuries in 2006 and 2009 which stopped Batista/Orton and Batista/Cena from happening respectively, do not count. Neither does Austin's injury in 1999 for example or Triple H's injury in January of 2007. The reason is because those happened before the match building went underway. WWE was actually fortunate in those cases because they were still in a position to change plans and go with something else.

I don't think anyone has gotten injured a few weeks before Wrestlemania for a key match up.

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,061 Posts
Nathan Jones? He was originally scheduled to be 'Taker's partner against Big Show and A-Train but it ended up being a handicap match. Granted, that's not on the level of a Cena or Triple H injury but 'The Streak' was still a major part of Wrestlemania by then.

· Registered
391 Posts
The only one I remember was Kurt Angle who injured his neck a few weeks before his match against Brock Lesnar at Wrestlemania 19. At one point they were considering dropping the title to another wrestler so Angle could recover. However, Angle decided to work the match and have surgery shortly after that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.